Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run Away, Robert Pattinson! BDSM Fanfiction Author Given Millions Of Dollars And A Short Path To Your Door

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Run Away, Robert Pattinson! BDSM Fanfiction Author Given Millions Of Dollars And A Short Path To Your Door

Linda Ge writes for Bleeding Cool.

Watch out, Robert Pattinson. A Twilight fan who's so dedicated she wrote a whole series of novels starring you (yes, you) as a domineering sexual partner just found herself an in to do business with you. If a seemingly harmless script called Fifty Shades of Grey comes across your agent's desk, stay on the safe side and just say no.

I guess this was all inevitable. Working under the pseudonym E.L. James, a Twilight fan has taken a strongly sexual BDSM themed story she wrote about the Edward Cullen and Bella Swan characters from Stephenie Meyer's best-selling vampire series, changed the names to Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele, and published it.

The ebooks were a huge success, so it wasn't long before Hollywood came calling. After a somewhat inexplicable bidding war between studios, James and her literary agent went with Universal Pictures and Focus Features to deliver her wholly original story - which, not unlike Twilight, revolves around a bronze-haired closed-off rich older man and a clumsy, awkward, shy young brunette who live in Washington - to the big screen.

Not only that, but James will get to be actively involved with the process. ?We went with Focus because they have a great background in handling difficult material,? the author tells EW. Well, a great background and the promise that she will have script, director and casting approval. ?This makes me sound like a control freak, doesn?t it??

Well, yes, perhaps a little. And with those terms written right into the contract, it's hard to imagine James settling for less than the man on whose likeliness Christian Grey is based. And it's not like it's an impossible dream. Colin Firth deigned to play a fanfiction version of Mr. Darcy for Bridget Jones' Diary, after all.

Banned

E.L. James is a Maaaannn, Baby!! Yeaah! -Austin Powers

Wrote the Book on Cool

Similarities aside, I don't see how that summary, and the few others I've seen, make the book a direct ripoff of Twilight. Has anyone in the forum actually read both? I read the Twilights for work and... they were just bloody awful. Maybe some extra BDSM would've made them better.

...This reminds me of the time one of the "she-coons" of the K/S "Slashfic" Star Trek scene managed to snag a Trek novel gig. Thanks to whoever was editing the Trek novels around that time not doing their job, Della Van Hise managed to sneak in several K/S references in her one novel, Killing Time. The K/S stuff was caught during the final edit before press, and changes were marked up, but -someone- approved the pre-edit copy and 250,000 copies are printed, of which at least half managed to get shipped to bookstores. To this day nobody has ever come forth who's worked for Pocket and confessed to having passed on the unmarked copy, but everyone working for Pocket at the time swore on Bibles, Torahs, Korans and even the Kama Sutra that the only way that many copies could have gotten out the door was if *someone* high up the corporate ladder had done the deed, whether accidental or deliberate.

...Needless to say, Trek fans, Paranoidmount *and* Gene Roddenberry all went ballistic - the 'noids wanting to crush the "slashfic" writers for years, and Gene having made it clear in the TMP novelization that both Kirk and Spock were heterosexuals - which resulted in an immediate recall of all 1st printings and a rush 2nd printing of the novel with all the "Slashfic" elements purged. Fandom was divided over the issue, but by no means equally, with even those wishing for more openness on the issue of homosexuality in the Star Trek universe deriding Hise's K/Sing as being "more detestable than a Mary Sue story".

...Van Hise has never written another Trek novel, although she reportedly kept circulating new K/S stories through the fledgling BBS networks - especially the one Fidonet forum dedicated to Trek "slashfic". Last I heard, she was trying to get a regular "slashfic" fanzine going featuring "the continued adventures" of the Kirk and Spock from Killing Time, and was huckstering signed copies of the 1st printing "for those who want to read the *good* stuff Paramount cut out" for about $100.00 USD a copy.

...Still, despite the recall, thousands of copies of the 1st printing were not only sold, but there were only about a dozen reported cases where Trek fans returned the book either in response to the recall and/or disgruntlement with having bought a K/S fanfic dressed in alternative history fiction. I still have a copy of both printings, and IIRC the easiest way to tell if you've at least got a 2nd printing is whether the words Killing Time are bas-relief embossed on the cover. However, if you come across a copy in a used book store somewhere, you can verify whether it's a 1st print copy by turning to p. 41 and look for a paragraph containing this sentence: "I understand that you were probably playing with dolls and wearing lipstick until you were twenty!"

And that was just the tip of that particular iceberg, kids
    Last edited by _OM_; 03-27-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...This reminds me of the time one of the "she-coons" of the K/S "Slashfic" Star Trek scene managed to snag a Trek novel gig. Thanks to whoever was editing the Trek novels around that time not doing their job, Della Van Hise managed to sneak in several K/S references in her one novel, Killing Time. The K/S stuff was caught during the final edit before press, and changes were marked up, but -someone- approved the pre-edit copy and 250,000 copies are printed, of which at least half managed to get shipped to bookstores. To this day nobody has ever come forth who's worked for Pocket and confessed to having passed on the unmarked copy, but everyone working for Pocket at the time swore on Bibles, Torahs, Korans and even the Kama Sutra that the only way that many copies could have gotten out the door was if *someone* high up the corporate ladder had done the deed, whether accidental or deliberate.
    Well... this is how the comic industry of the big two have been operating for decades, hiring fan boys to write fanfic based on their fanfic proposal and nerd ramblings. Well.. sans the slash fic. Well.. except for Devin K Grayson.. but the big two kinda shunned her eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by myakoopa View Post
    Similarities aside, I don't see how that summary, and the few others I've seen, make the book a direct ripoff of Twilight. Has anyone in the forum actually read both? I read the Twilights for work and... they were just bloody awful. Maybe some extra BDSM would've made them better.
    How is something where the two characters were originally written as the two characters from another book NOT a rip off?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    How is something where the two characters were originally written as the two characters from another book NOT a rip off?
    Maybe it started out that way originally, but given this synopsis of the storyline, vague similarities aside, it now sounds more like any other erotica novel and less like Twilight.

The plot traces the relationship between recent college graduate Anastasia Steele and manipulative billionaire Christian Grey. Steele is required by Grey to sign a contract allowing him complete control over her life. As she gets to know him she learns that his sexual tastes involve bondage, domination and sadism, and that childhood abuse left him a deeply damaged individual. In order to be his partner she agrees to experiment with BDSM, but struggles to reconcile who she is (a virgin who has never previously had a boyfriend) with who Christian wants her to be: his submissive to do with as he pleases in his "Red Room of Pain."
    Though this response does make me think twice....

E.L James didn’t change much when turning [Master of the Universe] into [Fifty Shades of Gray]. Except for names and some places, Bella’s old track changed into old VW beetle and her brown eyes turned into blue. Her parents characters are still just like Renee and Charlie fromTwilight, Edward/Christian is still adopted, rich and stalker-ish. He still looks like Robert Pattinson and plays piano. He does not want to sink his teeth into Bella/Ana, but he wants to spank her *** instead. Bella/Ana is clumsy, self-centered, has a friend Jacob/Jose who digs her and tries to kiss her and so on. The book is full of Twilight-ish stuff and it's kind of irritating.
    Last edited by myakoopa; 03-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.

"Anastasia Steele"? This sounds stupid as hell.

Exceedingly Cool

I'm no prude, but I have not heard of the abbreviation "K/S"? Nor does Google/Wiki help define it. Please advise what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by phicks View Post
    I'm no prude, but I have not heard of the abbreviation "K/S"? Nor does Google/Wiki help define it. Please advise what it means.
    Kirk/Spock, it's where the term "slash" originates from.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by myakoopa View Post
    I've got 50 Shades here. I'll report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast