Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scoop: Michael Bay's Alien Turtles Apparently Aren't Teenagers Either

Administrator

Default Scoop: Michael Bay's Alien Turtles Apparently Aren't Teenagers Either

Bleeding Cool has verified that the working title of the upcoming Paramount-Nickelodeon Turtle movie from producer Michael Bay and director Jonathan Libesman is going by the working title of Ninja Turtles. We know all too well where the "Mutant" bit went, but now it seems we're also losing "Teenage."

We haven't been able to get a definite statement as towhy this title change is occurring, and our sources are not 100% clear on whether or not the Turtles will indeed be adolescents.

One of our sources has said:
    It seems to be driven by marketing. Think of John Carter and how Disney wouldn't allow for a title with either "Princess" or "Mars".
    Also, I suppose, if they have to remove the word Mutant from the title because it doesn't make sense any more, you'd want to get rid of Teenage too, for scansion as much as anything else. We can't take it for granted yet that the Turtles won't be aged 13-19.

Though, suddenly, I'm starting to think the whole issue of how old they are is going to be dodged. I also expect all of their overtly teenage characteristics are going to be shelved.

More as and when we get it.

Wait this isn't soo bad, the TV series in the nineties did the same but it wasn't too bad, it would be nice to see how they actually deal with adulthood and who develops more.
    It's not a horrible concept

Changing the Title is stupid though.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Consultant of Cool

Eh, it's not as if the Turtles have ever really acted or felt like teenagers before.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Wow - and John Carter turned out soooooooo well for Disney!

Good movies get derailed all the time. Why the heck can't this piece of trash suffer the same fate?

Bay is going to keep telling us how good the script is, and how even as aliens we'll still love them. You know what the kind of talk reminds me of? Catwoman. The director kept going on about how they where getting the essence of Catwoman, if not actually being catwoman.
    ------------------------
    http://kandouerik.blogspot.com/
    Comics, Anime, Video Games and More

http://supersentaiimages.blogspot.com/
    Super Sentai (Japanese Power Rangers)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMcFeely View Post
    Eh, it's not as if the Turtles have ever really acted or felt like teenagers before.
    Isn't it? Because that's exactly how I remember them. Four bickering teenagers who subsist on a diet of pizza and silly chatter.

I can't think of any time I saw them act like adults.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfist View Post
    Wait this isn't soo bad, the TV series in the nineties did the same but it wasn't too bad, it would be nice to see how they actually deal with adulthood and who develops more.
    It's not a horrible concept

Changing the Title is stupid though.
    They already dealt with adult hood in Peter Laird's forth TMNT volume. (Awesome, awesome stuff. I really wish he had ended the storylines, though)

But I have to disagree that they did the same thing with the original cartoon. Yes, there where changes galore - with the origin and basics of the Turtles always remained in-tact. So much so, that when they returned to the more comic-like cartoon series, we still knew everything about our favorite reptiles.
    ------------------------
    http://kandouerik.blogspot.com/
    Comics, Anime, Video Games and More

http://supersentaiimages.blogspot.com/
    Super Sentai (Japanese Power Rangers)

Wrote the Book on Cool Union Jim's Avatar

I'm amazed Nickelodeon is allowing this crap, considering they have a new cartoon called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the way, not to mention the name being an instantly recognizable brand worldwide. I guess they want to distance the film and the series for some reason, but marketing wise it makes no sense

If they're aliens, can you really say they're turtles? Turtle-shaped, maybe, but if they aren't mutant turtles or from Earth, that means they're some other species entirely. And why would aliens mimic Japanese culture?

I look forward to seeing the movie with its more appropriate title of Reptiloid Stealth Force of an Indeterminate Age.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Him View Post
    If they're aliens, can you really say they're turtles? Turtle-shaped, maybe, but if they aren't mutant turtles or from Earth, that means they're some other species entirely. And why would aliens mimic Japanese culture?

I look forward to seeing the movie with its more appropriate title of Reptiloid Stealth Force of an Indeterminate Age.
    Yep, I agree. They aren't Turtles.

Something tells me they aren't even going to be Ninjas, so your title is as good as any.

I've no doubt this movie is going to be a pile of excuses to use more 3-D and CGI than the human eye can withstand. But so far there doesn't even seem to be an actual STORY under any of it, because it sounds like they're un-writing it from the bottom up.

And I keep wondering if/what they're going to do about Master Splinter? Is he going to be an alien now too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast