Thread: New Series Of Sherlock Gets Scheduled - For Shooting, At Least

Administrator

Default New Series Of Sherlock Gets Scheduled - For Shooting, At Least

The BBC's in-house magazine Ariel recently went from online to print, but luckily it's now open to people outside of Auntie's club, and we can all have a snoop.

This morning they published a key quote from Beryl Vertue, producer of Sherlock, on the occasion of her address to theNations and Regions Media conference in Salford. While she couldn't yet give any kind of schedule for the next series hitting our screens, she did at least reveal when it will be filming.

And it looks like we've got a good long wait ahead of us - cameras won't roll until early 2013.

So, at the earliest, this would mean Sherlock back on screens in the Summer of 2013. There might have been a whole season of Elementary screened by then.

The first series aired in mid 2010, the second at the start of 2012, so the eighteen month break is at least consistent. We had been hoping for faster turnaround, seeing as series 3 was commissioned at the same time as series 2, but I guess that's not to be.

Who is to blame? Yeah, possibly.

Zen Master of Cool

It would rather neatly set up a series of Sherlock shooting between Series 7 and 8 of Doctor Who, with Series 7 set to wrap at the end of 2012 and 8 presumably starting not long after to have material available for the crucial November of 2013 date.

But I'd guess Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman's increasingly cramped schedules are more to blame.

This is about what was expected, but glad to get it confirmed! I'm happier waiting and getting a little good stuff than lots of shite quickly.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Objection!
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

More likely Hobbit than Who.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareofgeek View Post
    More likely Hobbit than Who.
    The Hobbit will wrap by the beginning of July, most likely by the beginning of June. (A month ago Jackson said there was 100 days of filming left on the schedule.)

I think the early 2013 shoot essentially confirms the unstated subtext to Danny Cohen's comments last summer that sent Whodom into a twitter, that Moffat is incapable of achieving the trick Russell T. Davies pulled off, which was running multiple series simultaneously.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by allyngibson View Post
    The Hobbit will wrap by the beginning of July, most likely by the beginning of June. (A month ago Jackson said there was 100 days of filming left on the schedule.)

I think the early 2013 shoot essentially confirms the unstated subtext to Danny Cohen's comments last summer that sent Whodom into a twitter, that Moffat is incapable of achieving the trick Russell T. Davies pulled off, which was running multiple series simultaneously.
    To be fair, Davies only wrote one episode of Torchwood and co-wrote one of Sarah Jane Adventures while Doctor Who was in full production. Moffat, in contrast, has written two 90-minute episodes of Sherlock. Even if it were the case that Sherlock's schedule was affecting Doctor Who's - and I'm still not sure of that - Moffat's work on Sherlock considerably exceeds that of Davies' external commitments during Doctor Who.
    Last edited by Snowspinner; 03-14-2012 at 03:05 PM.