Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe B. Pangrazio
  • 1 Post By _OM_

Thread: Super-Long Trailer For James Randi Documentary, An Honest Liar

Administrator

Default Super-Long Trailer For James Randi Documentary, An Honest Liar

While it's still very much still a work in progress, this trailer for An Honest Liar looks like a film I really want to see.

I'd forgotten that Happy Days clip - good to see that again. How funny.

I'm a great admirer of James Randi's work, both as a magician and as a broadcaster, and beyond that, as a scientist, skeptic and quackbuster, and with the James Randi Educational Foundation.

It looks like director Justin Weinstein has already compiled a series of interviews with the key players and the voices you want to hear, from Richard Wiseman to Penn & Teller, and he's also sourced a lot of relevant clips - though some licensed, better quality footage there would certainly help.

There's a Donate button on the film's official site, if you think you can help.

Several Little Bleeders sent me the link to this trailer, but iTricks got there first. Thanks to you all.

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Oh, man, I hope this gets made!

Way Cool

I first heard of the Amazing Randi when I was a kid. Of course, from his appearances on the Carson hosted Tonight Show, but also from his radio show on WOR (in New York) where he initially filled in for host 'Long John' Nebel and later his own late-night program. Way back then he was debunking and it's wonderful to see that he continues to do so. I certainly hope this film is made and I know I'll stand in line to see it.

I love James Randi. Period. All that need be said.
    _OM_ likes this.
    "If you find 'I think you're wrong' offensive, there's not much I can tell you. Except that you are, in fact, wrong."
    Reminder: There are roughly 313,000,000 people in the United States. There are roughly 2,000 Direct Market Comic Shops in the United States. That means there is 1 comic shop for every 156,500 people in America.
    Free Entertainment: The Canny Cthulhu Holmes l 24
    Paid Entertainment: Though My Chains Be Forged

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B. Pangrazio View Post
    I love James Randi. Period. All that need be said.
    ...While I still disagree with Randi over certain aspects of his debunking attempts of the "Roswell Crash", it's his live-on-tv debunking of sleight-of-hand scam artists that I've always respected and cheered on. The best one was this guy from Japan who claimed to be able to use telekinesis to turn the pages of a book one page at a time, by moving his thumbs about an inch away from the top and bottom edges. Randi figured out the trick in about two seconds: he put a layer of feathers on top of a page, and the hoaxter claimed "the static from the feathers interfered with his powers". Slow-motion of the guy's demonstration showed he was blowing on the pages to make them turn, and using the thumb motion as sleight-of-hand to distract everyone from seeing him puff his cheeks. Supposedly the guy vowed to rip Randi's heart out with his mental powers, but almost 35 years later we're still waiting for that stunt to be pulled.

Unless, of course, Randi wears a feather boa under his shirt...
    Joe B. Pangrazio likes this.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...While I still disagree with Randi over certain aspects of his debunking attempts of the "Roswell Crash", it's his live-on-tv debunking of sleight-of-hand scam artists that I've always respected and cheered on. The best one was this guy from Japan who claimed to be able to use telekinesis to turn the pages of a book one page at a time, by moving his thumbs about an inch away from the top and bottom edges. Randi figured out the trick in about two seconds: he put a layer of feathers on top of a page, and the hoaxter claimed "the static from the feathers interfered with his powers". Slow-motion of the guy's demonstration showed he was blowing on the pages to make them turn, and using the thumb motion as sleight-of-hand to distract everyone from seeing him puff his cheeks. Supposedly the guy vowed to rip Randi's heart out with his mental powers, but almost 35 years later we're still waiting for that stunt to be pulled.

Unless, of course, Randi wears a feather boa under his shirt...
    I also love James Randi because it's because of him that I learned that Carson was (early in his career) an amateur magician (which explained to me, who lived long after the Carson era, Karnak which I'm probably misspelling Johnny's use of). And I love his treatment of Uri Geller.

Never seen his debunking of the Roswell Crash, though.
    "If you find 'I think you're wrong' offensive, there's not much I can tell you. Except that you are, in fact, wrong."
    Reminder: There are roughly 313,000,000 people in the United States. There are roughly 2,000 Direct Market Comic Shops in the United States. That means there is 1 comic shop for every 156,500 people in America.
    Free Entertainment: The Canny Cthulhu Holmes l 24
    Paid Entertainment: Though My Chains Be Forged

VP in Charge of Cool FunkyGreenJerusalem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...While I still disagree with Randi over certain aspects of his debunking attempts of the "Roswell Crash",
    He claimed it's utter bullshit, but you claim it's total bullshit?

Supposedly the guy vowed to rip Randi's heart out with his mental powers, but almost 35 years later we're still waiting for that stunt to be pulled.
    Heck, we're still waiting for someone to get all the way through the testing stages to win the million bucks Randi has on offer for anyone who can prove they have telepathic or telekinetic powers!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B. Pangrazio View Post
    And I love his treatment of Uri Geller.
    ...He did a perfect debunk of the spoon bending trick, but one thing he's -not- been able to pull the curtain aside on is Geller's affecting that sprig of the Navy's "memory metal" - an alloy that, when bent, returns to as close an approximation as possible of the original cast shape when a certain temperature range is reached. Best thing Randi could argue is that Geller pulled some sort of sleight-of-hand, but this one he "must have really practiced a lot" because he still can't figure out where the sample was "swapped out with a hairpin".
    -------