Thread: Very Cool: Fan-Created CG Version Of Original Star Tours, Now In 3D

Administrator

Default Very Cool: Fan-Created CG Version Of Original Star Tours, Now In 3D

If you never got to ride the original Disneyland Star Wars attraction, Star Tours before it was ripped out and replaced, this is probably as good a simulation as you'll be seeing any time soon.

Because you'll be taking the ride at home, everything has been recreated in CG, and not just the on-screen action. So, always present is Rex, the nervous RX-24 pilot droid, and the video starts by simulating part of the pre-show experience.

Here's the 2D version of the video, and below the 3D version which, using YouTube's nifty stereo controls, can be configured to output in just about any 3D format you can imagine - so, yes, even if you've only got a pair of the old red-blue glasses, you can join in.

I take my hat off to Gregory Noacco, the animator who spent months putting this together for nothing but fun, love, respect and, I'd expect, a bit of a telling off from Lucasfilm.

Which is to say, I think we should all be ripping these videos now, before they suddenly vanish from YouTube.

Now, Mr. Noacco... how about getting to work on a D-box enabled version 2.0?

Thanks to Disney Themepark blog Inside the Magic for the embeds.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I can't help it--I see those doors and I want to scream "We've got movie sign!"

Wait.. someone is going back and replacing Star Wars footage with CGI.. and it ISN'T George Lucas?!

Actually, I'm somewhat disappointed the virtual ride is missing the most important part of Star Tours! The part where the ride dumps you into the gift shop so you can spend so much money on overpriced Star Wars merchandise that fills Lucas's money bin.

Quote Originally Posted by RussBurlingame View Post
    I can't help it--I see those doors and I want to scream "We've got movie sign!"
    ...Most people who attended this ride did in fact utter just that.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Which is to say, I think we should all be ripping these videos now, before they suddenly vanish from YouTube.
    ..YouTube Downloader. Easy to use, free to download, and will also convert on the fly if you need another format besides flv.
    -------

They have a video of the actual ride on Youtube.

Ah, I went on Star Tours many moons ago in the country which Master _OM_ would call Frog Country and it was really cool and blew my 14 year old mind. So that brings back some nice memories. I mean the life-size X-Wing fighter at the entrace was enough to have me geek out.

気持ち悪い

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Dean of Cool University fredmanson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Ah, I went on Star Tours many moons ago in the country which Master _OM_ would call Frog Country and it was really cool and blew my 14 year old mind. So that brings back some nice memories. I mean the life-size X-Wing fighter at the entrace was enough to have me geek out.
    _OM_ is dead if he simply dares to think to call France the Froggy Country!!! I sentence him to death penalty with immediate execution!! Control, I need a meat-wagon for a future Brit-City dead citizen!!

I remember the ride with my young niece, we were amazed by the huge 1:1 scale X-Wing in the entrance and we were fascinated by all the ride. Without being in 3D, it was really an immersive ride. So, here, when a ride is excellent, why to absolutely add the 3D gimmick??

Maybe the word "simplicity" is really not understood by Lucas...
    R.I.P. Toena (2001-2013)

Singles: Image Comics, Black Mask Comics, Mignola Verse, Aliens Verse, The Bunker, After Life, 2000 AD, Judge Dredd Meg