Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Wrote the Book on Cool

Default Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Produced by those folks behind Hercules, Xena and Legend of the Seeker, otherwise known as Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi is Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

I know it got a bit of a critical panning when the first two episodes got previewed, but I for one am really enjoying it. I think one reviewer referred that it might be the guilty pleasure of the year and that is my feeling.

Yes the plot to violence and sex ratio is pretty low, but you know, sometimes that is what I want. Hercules, Xena and based on the few episode of the Seeker Iíve managed to sit though always had to shy away from the violence so the fight scenes always lacked something visceral. Not so much here, we see everything and I mean everything.

Yes sometimes the amount of CGI blood boarders on the ridiculous and their always seems to be one of two token sex scenes which donít serve any plot purpose. The fight scenes are pretty brutal and the most recent episode with Spartacus being using as a fighter in the underground scene was the most violent yet. They also push the story on, but then I suppose the life of a Gladiator pretty much rotated around the arena fights.

I doubt it is historically correct in any sense, but then I doubt it is supposed to be. Although I do wonder if the way slaves are used is historically accurate as they do serve some interesting functions...

The press releases referred to it as a live action comic book, and it certainly use 300ís style, but on a much lower budget. Much like a mainstream comic book, it is great fun and you donít have to read anything else into it.

Anyone had a chance to watch it yet?

Consultant of Cool Reviewer Pseudobyte's Avatar

Yeah, I've watched four episodes. It's not awful. The first episode had me cringing at the blood and gore effects (aping the 300 "graphic novel" style) but then Lucy Lawless got naked and all was forgiven. Now though, there is less actual naked Lucy Lawless (not surprised) and they're doing some "clever" things to keep her covered. I expected to lose interest but I'm actually enjoying the story regardless of how cheesy some of the gore effects are (they seem to have toned it down a little in recent episodes).

In the latest episode, Spartacus is put into the Underworld Pits to fight in death matches as punishment for defying his Dominus (John Hannah). So the blood effects get ratcheted up a little again. If not for John Hannah, I doubt I'd be as interested. His interactions with Spartacus and Lucretia (Lawless) are interesting, even intriguing at times, which is nice since much of the rest of the show is spent focused on gladiator fighting/training. Spartacus forms a friendship with another gladiator in training and those two (can't remember the character's name) work well together too.

PS- The nudity goes both ways. You have been warned!
    "I'm an American, honey. Our names don't mean shit."

i watched the first episode but completely forgot about the show later on. Just didn't "need" to see the rest of the story. Maybe i'll give it a go if i am really bored at one point.
    CHELSEA ABOVE ALL !!!!

Stamford Bridge SW6

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudobyte View Post
    Yeah, I've watched four episodes. It's not awful. The first episode had me cringing at the blood and gore effects (aping the 300 "graphic novel" style) but then Lucy Lawless got naked and all was forgiven. Now though, there is less actual naked Lucy Lawless (not surprised) and they're doing some "clever" things to keep her covered. I expected to lose interest but I'm actually enjoying the story regardless of how cheesy some of the gore effects are (they seem to have toned it down a little in recent episodes).

In the latest episode, Spartacus is put into the Underworld Pits to fight in death matches as punishment for defying his Dominus (John Hannah). So the blood effects get ratcheted up a little again. If not for John Hannah, I doubt I'd be as interested. His interactions with Spartacus and Lucretia (Lawless) are interesting, even intriguing at times, which is nice since much of the rest of the show is spent focused on gladiator fighting/training. Spartacus forms a friendship with another gladiator in training and those two (can't remember the character's name) work well together too.

PS- The nudity goes both ways. You have been warned!
    The relationship between Dominus and Lucretia is quite interesting - the way she supports him, but has something on the side. Not sure if that will be developed or not. Lucy Lawless is looking quite good for her age as well!

The fights scenes in the pit were pretty good - the face removal thing was quite graphic for TV I thought and the bit with the hook was fun as well. It is very much cartoony violence so I don't feel bad saying something like that.

Oh and yes the full frontal nudity does go both ways... as do the sex scenes... but that was pretty much common practice in ancient times!

Anyhow, it got picked up for a second season before it even aired. I'll keep watching for a bit of silly gore and mild titillation.

Consultant of Cool

You've got me interested. Has this been shown in the UK yet?

Wrote the Book on Cool

No, due to start over the summer, but I have no idea who is going to carry it. Maybe Sky, but seems to suit FX as well. At worst it'll be Bravo.

Consultant of Cool Reviewer Pseudobyte's Avatar

Okay, just watched the fifth episode, "Shadow Games", and I was freakin' cheering at the end. Apparently, they're doing something right with this show despite the silly gore effects Also... Based on how decompressed everything is nowadays, I have to give them credit for actually having the battle with Theocules occur in the same episode the event was introduced in. I was expecting a cliffhanger right as the primus (sp?) kicked off. A lot happened in this episode, come to think of it.
    "I'm an American, honey. Our names don't mean shit."

Wrote the Book on Cool

Honestly, I really wanted to like this show but I just could not get past the first episode. It was just so fucking awful! And not just the crappy CGI and 300-esque cinematography, but the dialogue and acting were awful. But if there's going to be some naked Lucy Lawless then maybe I'll give it another go.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Donna M. - the first episode wasn't great, but really, it is progressing nicely. Really good fun to watch.

after a few boring days over here i got down to watch some more episodes and i need to change my original assessment of the show. If you manage to get past the horrible first episode you will find out it is actually a good show to kill some time, while being entertained.

the gore is good, the sex tones down a bit and actual personalities are attached to the characters. I was even sad at the end of episode 5.
    and as Geek mentions the episodes are quite compressed. Episode 4 was another "all in one" case.

Wouldn't miss it if i stopped watching it, but now that Fringe is on vacation i need something else to keep myself busy after work.
    CHELSEA ABOVE ALL !!!!

Stamford Bridge SW6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast