Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: Image Comics Pulls Pretty Deadly From Comics Ink (UPDATE)

Very Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stegron View Post
    And this partly sums up why the comics industry as a whole has a looong way to go... it seems to be the last refuge for opinionated arseholes.
    If you're ever in Washington, DC I highly recommend perusing the watering holes around the Capital Building (I recommend the Capital Lounge for its hilarious Marion Barry campaign flyer) and you'll find MANY opinionated assholes (regardless of what side of the aisle they're on).
    Last edited by Kilt Kommando; 10-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Very Cool

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Correct there. The thing is, Image could have set up interviews for these creators and done other things to promote the books, which all would have been for free too. Eric is using the opportunity to grind an axe with a retailer he had a bad experience with, as well as get Image in the spotlight. They never care to properly promote the relatively unknown creators. Image does worse for those people by screwing up with the print schedules or not releasing promotional materials the creators goes out of pocket to make.
    Good point, good point.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if they do more or less press for creators who are simultaneously working on books for Marvel or DC? Such as Kelly Sue DeConnick, Emma Rios, Matt Fraction (husband of KSD, right?), Ed Brubaker, etc? As for pure independents, Kirkman doesn't count since he's his own "brand" nowadays. Jay Faeber would likely be a better litmus test.
    Last edited by Kilt Kommando; 10-25-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    IronButt likes this.

Very Cool
    Last edited by Kilt Kommando; 10-25-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Victorian Squid likes this.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kilt Kommando View Post
    Good point, good point.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if they do more or less press for creators who are simultaneously working on books for Marvel or DC? Such as Kelly Sue DeConnick, Emma Rios, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, etc? Kirkman doesn't count since he's his own "brand" nowadays.
    I was actually hellbanned from Image a few years back during the run of a certain PR person there, specifically for calling him out in a now defunct webzine over not promoting anything beyond Image creatives then also employed by the big two. He read the article and emailed me his office number challenging me to call. So I did. REEEEALLY fun dialogue. The next day I found myself removed from two Image-related forums, and have since heard from a third party (who is still employed there) that any submission with my name on it will be trashed immediately. (I have never in my life sent off a pitch or proposal anywhere, mind you.) I've also since been denied access to joining their media list, despite at times noteworthy credentials. I can name five creators who requested pull quotes from me on their trades who were shot down from up above. Maybe it's all coincidence, but I like to think I'm special.

It does happen. The Image big guns are only interested in pushing themselves, and too many hopefuls just do not "get" that all they are really getting in a deal is the Image logo and little to no other actual support.
    Last edited by theLP; 10-25-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: 'cause.
    IronButt likes this.

And based on that I'm done with this topic.
    Good riddance? Your first post on here ended with calling most of us jackasses (which, lemme guess, the ones that aren't are those that agree with you). Btw, you say that it's tough in the retail department combined with the high cost of living in Los Angeles. Well, all the more reason to treat their customers right and be professionals, I'd think.

As far as being adults when a supposed adult does something childish and repeatedly takes something that someone bought up to the counter to buy with grown up money, it's because people are being adults about that that the child in question didn't get treated as the child he is and get knocked the right **** out.

I guess the apology from the store owner thread was deleted in favor of showing up here at some point as an update.

All I have to say on that is so the same person that said there was no ripping now says there was and was the guy that actually did it?

Wow.

If their practices at the shop hadn't come to light, would we be getting this apology? No. This is just Steve trying to put the fire out before it gets any bigger, plain as day.
    NakedOni likes this.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

WTF? There was an apology article from the Comic Ink owner that has disappeared.
    NakedOni likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Good point, good point.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if they do more or less press for creators who are simultaneously working on books for Marvel or DC? Such as Kelly Sue DeConnick, Emma Rios, Matt Fraction (husband of KSD, right?), Ed Brubaker, etc? As for pure independents, Kirkman doesn't count since he's his own "brand" nowadays. Jay Faeber would likely be a better litmus test.
    Kirkman has his own company to promote him and his stuff. Talking to the non-Marvel/DC creators, they say that Image doesn't do anything to promote their book. They will email out a PR for the small guys if they submit one to Image and it gets approved. Regarding Fraction, Brubaker, DeConnick, Morrison, etc. it appears they do go that extra effort for them as far as social media promotion and interviews/previews goes.

It's an opportunity to create press for the book. Because "press" is free, "marketing" is something you have to pay for (which given Image's business model doesn't really exist).
    Not true. At all.
    alekesam likes this.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast