Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Marvel Developing A Group Of 4 New TV Series And A Mini-Series For Streaming And Cable Release

Wrote the Book on Cool WillipsBrighton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MicroZone View Post
    You'd think Disney would want these for one of their many cable networks.
    Network TV is dead with under 30s. Marvel/Disney is a relatively forward thinking company.
    Currently pulling:

DC: Superman, Justice League, Swamp Thing, Red Lanterns, New Suicide Squad, Earth 2, Grayson

Marvel: Avengers, New Avengers, She-Hulk, Inhumans, Superior Iron Man, Guardians 3000

RRA
    Captain Cool

I like this.

You know what else I like? It seems Marvel and DC are (well trying at least) to out-dick the other in ambitions and plans. You just know that DC will follow suite.

Who wins? Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing97 View Post
    Ah, The Runaways! That would be perfect for TV!
    Fuck. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by thekamisama View Post
    Even though it was awful, they did make some pretty good bank off selling that low budget Man-Thing movie to SyFy, didn't they? Maybe they could use those characters that will never ever become movies to turn into some more low budget cheese for Thursday night special on basic cable? It beats letting someone just do mockbusters of them. USAgent or Thunderstrike would be my first choices. Marvel could knock off itself before anyone else gets them to market!
    Nice. Reminds me of musicians releasing their own "bootlegs" so to take the money back from the "Dutch imports" (i.e. bootleggers.) I like this idea.

Speedball, THIS IS YOUR CHANCE!!!!

Doesn't Disney have a deal with Netflix where their movies will air there first? If so, it could very well be that they deal with them.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    Netflix would be interesting because they give show creators an almost unprecedented degree of control from development to finished product. You could get some really great shows if they spend the cash to make 'em.
    Netflix, btw, has a deal with Disney for distribution for movies made in 2016 and beyond. They are replacing starz as the premium first run outlet.
    Ferb Morgendorffer likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Any show Marvel gets on ABC has to please the audience that primarily tunes into that network, first and foremost. That basically means older females, which is obviously not the primary audience for comic book superheroes. That's why SHIELD is the weak tea that it is (so far), and why Agent Carter is likely to be their follow-up show. Both shows have potential to be a lot of fun (I'm still giving SHIELD the benefit of the doubt), but they're not full-on, undiluted Marvel. Getting some series away from network television gives Marvel the chance to develop some properties that appeal to the same audience as the comics, and that's pretty exciting.
    Ferb Morgendorffer likes this.

Could we see a "Marvel Knights" series? Daredevil, Punisher, Cloak and Dagger, and Moon Knight. The mini could then focus on Black Widow, Black Panther or Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwspider View Post
    Could we see a "Marvel Knights" series? Daredevil, Punisher, Cloak and Dagger, and Moon Knight. The mini could then focus on Black Widow, Black Panther or Blade.
    That, THAT... Would be AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by jjwspider View Post
    Not sure if that would work. Unless you are thinking they have the series separate as a brand and then have crossovers here and there. In which case it could work. If they did it as a series called Marvel Knights and it switched between the characters it would fail. Hard.

RRA
    Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Superhans View Post
    Any show Marvel gets on ABC has to please the audience that primarily tunes into that network, first and foremost. That basically means older females, which is obviously not the primary audience for comic book superheroes. That's why SHIELD is the weak tea that it is (so far), and why Agent Carter is likely to be their follow-up show. Both shows have potential to be a lot of fun (I'm still giving SHIELD the benefit of the doubt), but they're not full-on, undiluted Marvel. Getting some series away from network television gives Marvel the chance to develop some properties that appeal to the same audience as the comics, and that's pretty exciting.
    See I want to disagree with you. I just don't have the feeling ABC would get behind a program like AGENT CARTER, which is a rougher sell than something like A.O.S.. That's something I could see being part of this package more than going to network series. But I've admitted before my lack of knowledge regarding the TV industry so I'll defer to your knowledge.

RRA
    Captain Cool

Man, a R-rated level Punisher TV series? I would be up for that. I would even love it if A.O.S. had one character reference that "psychopathic walking 2nd amendment" wrecking mayhem in NYC.

I doubt if this goes to Netflix that Marvel will pursue that adult level of content because of their Disney-like mentality of trying to craft entertainment that everybody (i.e. "the whole family") could watch. But who knows? This news took us by surprise.

For that matter, there is no assumption what so ever that these programs would be part of the MCU like A.O.S. is. Think of the upcoming animated film BIG HERO 6 which is based off an obscure Marvel property and going off in its own direction without those strings. Will Marvel do the same here? Maybe.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast