Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: DC Teases Animated Justice League: War

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    After watching Flashpoint Paradox, I can tell you exactly why this one is next.

Geoff Johns is the Devil.
    You watched it, dare i ask, is it any good?
    STFmaryville likes this.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Dean of Cool University Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfist View Post
    You watched it, dare i ask, is it any good?
    Only if you like needless, graphic depictions child murder, bullets leaving holes in peoples heads that you can see through, severed limbs, decapitations, exposed organs, brutal hangings, and ridiculously depressing visions of the future.

It tries to be adult in all the wrong ways and comes across as childish rather than mature. It's downright disgusting at times. The first half of the film is better than the book (by a lot) and has some cool cameos, but it really tries to cram too much in. The last half is terrible in its immature bask in levels of violence that belong more in a Tarantino film than a DC superhero film. You definitely can't show this one to children or significant others. And I'm not a prude about violence either. I was fine with all the stuff in the DKR films, Under the Red Hood, and the Batman Beyond film, but this is just--wrong. It's like a fourteen year-old's wet dream, but in the worst way possible. The violence isn't fun and doesn't amount to anything. It left a really bad taste in my mouth--and this is the first time I've said that about a film.

The animation looks rushed. The character design is ugly--hard to believe the same guy who did design for Young Justice, Crisis on Two Earths, and JL: Doom did this, but it's true.

Batman's dialogue is WORSE than the original story, and there is no heart to the actor's performance. In fact, there's less heart here than in a Zack Snyder film. (*Oh, snap!) I mean, some of the only emotional scenes in the original book are completely removed, which make the emotional stuff they do fall flat.

And while I like Flash's New 52 design, when it shows up here--it looks really, really bad.

2/5 at best.
    Last edited by Captain13; 07-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.

My name is John Stewart. I'm an architect by trade
    and a defender of the universe by appointment.
    It's a pleasure to meet you.

I probrably wouldn't mind Cyborg shoved so horribly forced into the Justice League if it wasnt yet another sign of how totally and utterly the New52 reboot has completely decimated the Teen Titans. I still don't care much for the Teen Titans toon, but it is fifty times better than us only having a goofy comedy version now. Plus you cannot deny that the characters and brand name Teen Titans have a huge mainstream fan base. Why would DC ignore all that and erase the team from existance and shift Cyborg into a founding Justice League member? It doesn't make a lick of sense looking at the big picture. A Bill Maher says of the Republican Party, it is like they live in a bubble echo chamber out of touch with the rest of the world and their audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Only if you like needless, graphic depictions child murder, bullets leaving holes in peoples heads that you can see through, severed limbs, decapitations, exposed organs, brutal hangings, and ridiculously depressing visions of the future.

It tries to be adult in all the wrong ways and comes across as childish rather than mature. It's downright disgusting at times. The first half of the film is better than the book (by a lot) and has some cool cameos, but it really tries to cram too much in. The last half is terrible in its immature bask in levels of violence that belong more in a Tarantino film than a DC superhero film. You definitely can't show this one to children or significant others. And I'm not a prude about violence either. I was fine with all the stuff in the DKR films, Under the Red Hood, and the Batman Beyond film, but this is just--wrong. It's like a fourteen year-old's wet dream, but in the worst way possible. The violence isn't fun and doesn't amount to anything. It left a really bad taste in my mouth--and this is the first time I've said that about a film.

The animation looks rushed. The character design is ugly--hard to believe the same guy who did design for Young Justice, Crisis on Two Earths, and JL: Doom did this, but it's true.

Batman's dialogue is WORSE than the original story, and there is no heart to the actor's performance. In fact, there's less heart here than in a Zack Snyder film. (*Oh, snap!) I mean, some of the only emotional scenes in the original book are completely removed, which make the emotional stuff they do fall flat.

And while I like Flash's New 52 design, when it shows up here--it looks really, really bad.

2/5 at best.
    Hmm, well there goes my hope for "war"...
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

^^ I mean, that's my opinion. Stuff may hit you differently, but, knowing what I know about your preferences, you probably wouldn't like it.

Also, War could still be good depending on who directs it. If Lauren Montgomery (Crisis on Two Earth, Wonder Woman, Doom) or Brandon Vietti Young Justice, Under the Red Hood) or James Tucker (Superman vs The Elite) do, then we still have hope. It it's Jay Oliva (Dark Knight Returns, Flashpoint Paradox), then I'm not as sure.
    Last edited by Captain13; 07-18-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Blackfist likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    I probrably wouldn't mind Cyborg shoved so horribly forced into the Justice League if it wasnt yet another sign of how totally and utterly the New52 reboot has completely decimated the Teen Titans. I still don't care much for the Teen Titans toon, but it is fifty times better than us only having a goofy comedy version now. Plus you cannot deny that the characters and brand name Teen Titans have a huge mainstream fan base. Why would DC ignore all that and erase the team from existance and shift Cyborg into a founding Justice League member? It doesn't make a lick of sense looking at the big picture. A Bill Maher says of the Republican Party, it is like they live in a bubble echo chamber out of touch with the rest of the world and their audience.
    I mean they gave Katana a book before she got a chance to build a fanbase from her cartoon and they ignored John Stewart for years despite his presence in a popular cartoon. They have not put Aqualad back into the comics yet, and he's popular from Young Justice. I would say that they don't know or don't care about their place among all the stuff happening in the other forms of DC Entertainment media. Why should they when they can force what they want on other departments or on the fans, lol?

Cool

Oh great. The Nu52 comes to animation now. I think I'll pass on FLASHPOINT and WAR.

Oh well...maybe they'll do an adaptation of ACTION #1-4.7-8. Wouldn't mind seeing t-shirt and Jeans Superman in an animated feature.

Dean of Cool University Irving_Braxiatel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog View Post
    Based on one of the most boring story arcs of Justice League + the most uninteresting and brainless version of Darkseid. Urgh.

But you are right - Warner Brothers animation has transformed poop into gold before.
    Though with Brainiac Attacks!, it was in reverse. And that one was an original story!

VP in Charge of Cool

DC announced there animated titles will all be based on the Nu52 from now on, so it looks likely that their animation department just lost my money... unless they do 'Batman Inc' or Johns' 'Green Lantern' - even then, those stories need the OGDCU parts to really kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krotzer View Post
    Alan Tudyk as Superman? Is this like a "Let every cast member of Firefly voice Superman" thing?

I love Alan Tudyk, but I dunno if I'd hear his voice and think "Superman." But he'd make a hell of a Wally West, if such a character existed.
    Well, Summer Glau has played Supergirl but she's back in line for Superman, I guess. :-)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast