Thread: A History Of Dynamite.Com

Administrator

Default A History Of Dynamite.Com

Dynamite.com was first registered back in 1996, for an internet service company. They picked up a few clients, but them on the home page, but they didn't exactly grow much. Then they semed to close but still had the domain name, Which they offered for large amounts of money over the last ten years.

Well, it seems someone just bought it. Possible not for the $25,000,000 they were asking for though...

Here's a history, courtesy of the Wayback Machine.

Wrote the Book on Cool papabear's Avatar

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to name your site Dynamite Comics or Dynamite Graphics instead of paying all this money for Dynamite.com? Maybe instead of spending all this cash for the domain name, they should have spent it on some decent comic writing talent or artist.

Wrote the Book on Cool Timber-Munki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by papabear View Post
    Wouldn't it be cheaper just to name your site Dynamite Comics or Dynamite Graphics instead of paying all this money for Dynamite.com? Maybe instead of spending all this cash for the domain name, they should have spent it on some decent comic writing talent or artist.
    Yep. I'm no whiz on the internet, but am I missing something, because dynamite.net is the same site, and no indication in those screens of Dynamite Data owning the net suffix site as well.
    Last edited by Timber-Munki; 11-24-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: removibg the URL tag around 'dynamite.net'

Dean of Cool University

Don't these guys get a lot of licensed properties? It could seem like an ok business move to have the site but not for that amount or anywhere close. Most business people know how expensive a site name can be especially a one word name like Dynamite. Even if it's subliminal it might make Dynamite seem like they are financially stable but still too expensive for a 3rd tier comic company.

VP in Charge of Cool hellblazer72's Avatar

They finally have some good writers on upcoming projects but still no decent art talent, except for covers. They have/had quite a few books I would have bought but didn't because of the artwork.

The Boys was the only title I was picking up from Dynamite. Now that its over, I really don't see anything in their current lineup to get excited about. Alot of their books seemed to be heavily based on licensed properties, but if thats what they have planned to stay afloat then they might need a plan B. Licensed properties are only going to bring in so many readers every month. If they want to hang with other independents then they need original ideas that will create buzz among consumers. Image is doing the best job IMO right now making a name for itself as an "Independent" publisher.
    Last edited by papabear; 11-24-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Dean of Cool University

I know they used to use Dynamite Entertainment for their website (DynamiteEntertainment.com) but I think this was more a case of "quick like a bunny!" than a large expenditure. My guess is that the other company went out of business and the name lapsed - so Dynamite jumped on it and grabbed it up for no more than $100 from the registrar.

It just has that feel to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I know they used to use Dynamite Entertainment for their website (DynamiteEntertainment.com) but I think this was more a case of "quick like a bunny!" than a large expenditure. My guess is that the other company went out of business and the name lapsed - so Dynamite jumped on it and grabbed it up for no more than $100 from the registrar.

It just has that feel to me.
    That would make a lot more sense than, "Hey what should we do with this million bucks we got layin around?".

Dean of Cool University

It would be cool if they got it cheap but there are 100,000's of companies that their entire job is to snatch these sites up. Dynamite.com is probably worth a bit of dough. I hope a comic company beat out one of those site flipper companies.