Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Peter Capaldi - The Valeyard?

  1. #1
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    627

    Default Peter Capaldi - The Valeyard?

    This is speculation for the fun of it while I’m bored in work on a Monday morning, but this is my theory – that Peter Capaldi will be playing The Valeyard rather than a “standard” regeneration.

    The last seasons saw at least one reference to The Valeyard appearing. Within the mythology of the show, The Valeyard is a darker version of the Doctor that appears between the 12th and 13th regenerations, a penultimate regeneration. The reveal of John Hurt as the 10th Doctor means that the current Doctor is the 12th and the next regeneration would be the 13th and the last.

    Capaldi is quite a high profile actor and as pointed out has a lot of other work. I can’t see him agreeing to a long term contract so I see him doing a single season, maybe as “the dark Doctor” before being replaced with a younger, unknown actor who is happy to play the same role for the next few years.

    Again, just fun speculation, but could play out like this:

    Whatever happens in the 50th Anniversary, whatever caused the shame and/or guilt that made the Doctor hide away the memory of 10 (has to be related to the Time War) to be hidden away causes the next regeneration to go “wrong” and create a dark and brooding Valeyard-Doctor who is in constant struggle with his evil side for a season. Perhaps he is pursed by a Watcher who is the actual 13th regeneration?

    The 2014 Christmas special has the actual 13th Doctor appear at the end.
    __________________________________

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    δ³Σx²
    Posts
    5,230

    Default

    Couldn't the show fall up its own backside with all this Hurt non-Doctor, Capaldi-Valeyard, regeneration nonsense?

    Yes, I can see Peter playing the incarnation that becomes the Valeyard. But, how or why they would do that, I don't know. It's a waste to make him a bad guy, when they could just make him The Doctor. And we don't need a reason to get rid of him after a year so a "younger" actor can take over. In fact, that sounds like wishful thinking on the part of all these girls crying because he's not "young and hot".

    No offense. I'm okay with PC being the Valeyard. But, I'll be disappointed as it will be a waste of an actor in the role.
    Traveling.

  4. #4
    Zen Master of Cool ElectricPeterTork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-Tart Samson View Post
    Couldn't the show fall up its own backside with all this Hurt non-Doctor, Capaldi-Valeyard, regeneration nonsense?

    Yes, I can see Peter playing the incarnation that becomes the Valeyard. But, how or why they would do that, I don't know. It's a waste to make him a bad guy, when they could just make him The Doctor. And we don't need a reason to get rid of him after a year so a "younger" actor can take over. In fact, that sounds like wishful thinking on the part of all these girls crying because he's not "young and hot".

    No offense. I'm okay with PC being the Valeyard. But, I'll be disappointed as it will be a waste of an actor in the role.
    The Doctor wasn't The Valeyard. He was "evil elements" of The Doctor that gained form, or something like that... kind of like "The Watcher" from between Baker and Davison's regenerations.

    So, Capaldi shouldn't be The Valeyard. But The Valeyard will come from the side of him that likes to call people "fucking twats".

    /Y'know, last year, I was discussing Who elsewhere, and mentioned The Valeyard, and was told that there's no way anyone would ever dredge that up again, because it would be too confusing. Now it's all "Valeyard" this and "Valeyard" that.

  5. #5
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    δ³Σx²
    Posts
    5,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
    The Doctor wasn't The Valeyard. He was "evil elements" of The Doctor that gained form, or something like that... kind of like "The Watcher" from between Baker and Davison's regenerations.

    So, Capaldi shouldn't be The Valeyard. But The Valeyard will come from the side of him that likes to call people "fucking twats".
    Good points.

    Y'know, last year, I was discussing Who elsewhere, and mentioned The Valeyard, and was told that there's no way anyone would ever dredge that up again, because it would be too confusing. Now it's all "Valeyard" this and "Valeyard" that.
    Hell, I was probably the one who told you it wouldn't happen. I still don't think it's going to play in. I think the name was dropped by Moff in the script just for fanbait.

    I could be wrong, of course. We'll see.
    Traveling.

  6. #6
    Captain Cool uz000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-Tart Samson View Post
    Couldn't the show fall up its own backside with all this Hurt non-Doctor, Capaldi-Valeyard, regeneration nonsense?
    Yes it could.
    However, it could be argued the show has been up it's own backside since they brought in River song meeting the Dr backwards, and I kind of like it.

    I for one would like Capaldi to stick around for a bit. This idea of him only doing it for a little while comes from where exactly? You would presume Moffat would ask him at the interview stage can you stick around for a while? Also, he is a big fan of the show (as the radio time letter shows), so I'd expect him to last three to four years just like the last two guys. Frankly, I find it a bit odd we are talking about when he will leave when he hasn't even started.

    Also, a big NO to Capaldi-Valeyard. The Dr is a very meaty role, why does he need to go evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
    The Doctor wasn't The Valeyard. He was "evil elements" of The Doctor that gained form, or something like that... kind of like "The Watcher" from between Baker and Davison's regenerations.

    So, Capaldi shouldn't be The Valeyard. But The Valeyard will come from the side of him that likes to call people "fucking twats".

    /Y'know, last year, I was discussing Who elsewhere, and mentioned The Valeyard, and was told that there's no way anyone would ever dredge that up again, because it would be too confusing. Now it's all "Valeyard" this and "Valeyard" that.
    Yeah, I'm bored of Dr turns into Valeyard stuff now. The "evil elements of The Doctor that gained form" argument works for me. Though to be honest doesn't the Master fill this role in a much more satisfying way?
    Everything I write is just my opinion, unless I state otherwise.

    So what are your comic book preferences? http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/c...es-thread.html

  7. #7
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    627

    Default

    My thoughts on PC – he is a long term fan, but he’s also a well-established actor. I don’t know if it is in the contact or if the shooting schedule doesn’t allow it, but I can’t recall the previous Who actors appearing in anything else during their tenure – would be happy spending the next 3 years tied to that character?

    My speculation was just that – speculation. I just personally get the feeling he’s been cast for a particular reason, something they are planning beyond the usual. Be that the Valeyard or be it the 12th/13th Doctor, I think the next season will give us something different. It could be Moffat’s plan to only have him do that one season.

    I am very much looking forward to seeing what PC does with the role, he’s a great actor and really can’t wait to see what personality he brings to the character. My talk of casting a younger actor is exactly for that reason – those “crying girls” make up a chunk of the fan base who might not ever have started watching if it wasn’t for the more dashing looking actors in the lead.

    As for the show “disappearing up its own arse”… yes there is a strong chance of that happening. I definitely had issues with the whole River Song thing, the season finale and I am concerned they are making the mythos too complicated (the whole Doctor’s real name thing is entirely unnecessary in my opinion), but I am still excited to for the 50th Anniversary episode.
    __________________________________

  8. #8
    Bleeding Cool toodoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    12,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reformed_Geek View Post
    My thoughts on PC – he is a long term fan, but he’s also a well-established actor. I don’t know if it is in the contact or if the shooting schedule doesn’t allow it, but I can’t recall the previous Who actors appearing in anything else during their tenure – would be happy spending the next 3 years tied to that character?

    My speculation was just that – speculation. I just personally get the feeling he’s been cast for a particular reason, something they are planning beyond the usual. Be that the Valeyard or be it the 12th/13th Doctor, I think the next season will give us something different. It could be Moffat’s plan to only have him do that one season.

    I am very much looking forward to seeing what PC does with the role, he’s a great actor and really can’t wait to see what personality he brings to the character. My talk of casting a younger actor is exactly for that reason – those “crying girls” make up a chunk of the fan base who might not ever have started watching if it wasn’t for the more dashing looking actors in the lead.

    As for the show “disappearing up its own arse”… yes there is a strong chance of that happening. I definitely had issues with the whole River Song thing, the season finale and I am concerned they are making the mythos too complicated (the whole Doctor’s real name thing is entirely unnecessary in my opinion), but I am still excited to for the 50th Anniversary episode.
    Matt Smith has made a few other things during his time as the Doctor. I think it's either been allowing him to do thatso he can stick around, or building him into the anniversary that's meant we only had half series the last couple of years. Or budget issues. Essentially I'm saying I know nothing but have many ideas. I repeat: I don't know what I'm talking about.

    I'll shut up now.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

    My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

    Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Bleeding Cool tony ingram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reformed_Geek View Post
    My thoughts on PC – he is a long term fan, but he’s also a well-established actor. I don’t know if it is in the contact or if the shooting schedule doesn’t allow it, but I can’t recall the previous Who actors appearing in anything else during their tenure – would be happy spending the next 3 years tied to that character?
    A number of Who actors have done other work during their time on the show. Matt Smith did, Tennant did, Tom Baker did. Peter Davison actually starred in two very successful sit-coms while playing the Doctor. And during his time, the show was on air for six months of every year!
    My speculation was just that – speculation. I just personally get the feeling he’s been cast for a particular reason, something they are planning beyond the usual. Be that the Valeyard or be it the 12th/13th Doctor, I think the next season will give us something different. It could be Moffat’s plan to only have him do that one season.
    I think the "particular reason" is that he's a good actor. I doubt he'd be signed up just for one year.

    I am very much looking forward to seeing what PC does with the role, he’s a great actor and really can’t wait to see what personality he brings to the character. My talk of casting a younger actor is exactly for that reason – those “crying girls” make up a chunk of the fan base who might not ever have started watching if it wasn’t for the more dashing looking actors in the lead.
    Fuck 'em. Doctor Who did very well without them for over forty years.
    As for the show “disappearing up its own arse”… yes there is a strong chance of that happening. I definitely had issues with the whole River Song thing, the season finale and I am concerned they are making the mythos too complicated (the whole Doctor’s real name thing is entirely unnecessary in my opinion), but I am still excited to for the 50th Anniversary episode.
    Totally disagree with most of this. The more complex the better, I say!

  10. #10
    Bleeding Cool toodoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    12,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Fuck 'em. Doctor Who did very well without them for over forty years.
    No, it did very well for about 20 years, then faltered then fucked off for over a decade. I don't want any section of the audience's preconceptions about what the show should be to control what the writers do, but that goes for you and me as much as it does for the fans brought in since the relaunch. They don't get dismissed just because you're a grumpy old selfish sod.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

    My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

    Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •