Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The First Doctor Re-Revealed - Official Shot Of David Bradley In Who Anniversary Drama, An Adventure In Space And Time

Administrator

Default The First Doctor Re-Revealed - Official Shot Of David Bradley In Who Anniversary Drama, An Adventure In Space And Time

The first official image from Mark Gatiss'An Adventure in Space and Time gives us our first look at David Bradley in character as William Hartnell, but not David Bradley in character as William Hartnell in character as The Doctor.

Here he is, alongside Lesley Manville as his wife, Heather, and a dog, playing their dog.

I wonder if the dog is a Who fan, or if this is just another gig, a way to bring home the biscuits, keep a kennel over its head? If it is a fan, I wonder if has aHartnell shirt? Somebody should get it one as a souvenir, at least.

The Radio Times, who make a cameo appearance in the snap, published it alongside a nice account of Bradley's eagerness to get involved:
    Bradley says when Gatiss offered him the part, ?I almost bit his hand off.?
    As opposed to "bit his hand almost off," which is what the dog did. Perhaps.
    Dani Marie Hayward likes this.

Tom

Am tempted to wonder if he might play the First Doctor in the Anniversary Special too.

Dunno if I missed someone reporting on this, but the BBC responded to people complaining about the 60 min anniversary special being all we get

I understand that you are feel there are insufficient programmes planned to mark the 50th anniversary of the series. I also note that you are unhappy with the way in which series 7 has been split into two parts. Whilst I appreciate your concerns, we haven't announced what we have planned to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who yet, but we would like to assure you that fans won't be disappointed. Additionally, please note that the decision to schedule series 7 in two parts was a creative one and we're sorry you are unhappy about this.
    My emphasis. Interesting stuff...

VP in Charge of Cool

Bradley sure does look like an uncanny William Hartnell

VP in Charge of Cool Tariq Leslie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Am tempted to wonder if he might play the First Doctor in the Anniversary Special too.
    Whatever they are doing, it is of course, already done, but I think the most brilliant way of including Doctor Number One in the special would be to get a young actor - an actor that could be a young William Hartnell - to play the role.

It would avoid having yet another actor having to 'play' Hartnell's Doctor too as the character needn't yet be who he was when we first met him in An Unearthly Child.

Needn't be someone terribly young, but young 30's or so?

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq Leslie View Post
    Whatever they are doing, it is of course, already done, but I think the most brilliant way of including Doctor Number One in the special would be to get a young actor - an actor that could be a young William Hartnell - to play the role.

It would avoid having yet another actor having to 'play' Hartnell's Doctor too as the character needn't yet be who he was when we first met him in An Unearthly Child.

Needn't be someone terribly young, but young 30's or so?
    A. It's not done, they've not started shooting it yet.

B. Er...having a young Hartnell would mean that he would still be on Gallifrey and had yet to steal the TARDIS and become the Doctor (since he and Susan are recently in exile from their home world, and Susan is only 15). There's not really oodles of point to such a thing...since if they are going to show Gallifrey, one would expect they wouldn't watse it on a pre-Doctor Doctor. Silly.

No, I'm of the mind that they get Bradley to play the 1st, if they are having the 1st in the Anniversary...he just looks uncannily like him...and then they should get Troughton's son to play him, and Sean Pertwee to play his dad, and all the rest of the Doctor's are still alive. Done and done!

The Doctor stole the TARDIS as a

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnomanderRake View Post
    B. Er...having a young Hartnell would mean that he would still be on Gallifrey and had yet to steal the TARDIS and become the Doctor (since he and Susan are recently in exile from their home world, and Susan is only 15). There's not really oodles of point to such a thing...since if they are going to show Gallifrey, one would expect they wouldn't watse it on a pre-Doctor Doctor. Silly.
    I see your "silly" and raise you a "poppycock!" There's nothing in the original show itself to suggest how long the Doctor has been away from Gallifrey. Susan is 15 in human years but who knows how old in Gallifreyan years. Further, there's nothing really to say that the Doctor only fled Gallifrey once or that in all his travels he always had Susan with him or that he wasn't the Doctor and wasn't very interesting before he fled Gallifrey.

Quote Originally Posted by AnomanderRake View Post
    A. It's not done, they've not started shooting it yet.

No, I'm of the mind that they get Bradley to play the 1st, if they are having the 1st in the Anniversary...he just looks uncannily like him...and then they should get Troughton's son to play him, and Sean Pertwee to play his dad, and all the rest of the Doctor's are still alive. Done and done!

The Doctor stole the TARDIS as a
    See to me this kind of thing is the difference between a fanboy type story and one that actually has a solid narrative core, and I think rarely do the two successfully go hand in hand.

I'm in my 40's and have been watching the show since I was about 6 years old.

The Five Doctors may have filled my geeky teenage self with glee, but the story is incredibly weak.

Two Doctors, for me is still the strongest-written of all the Doctor-meets-Doctor stories, with Three Doctors a distant second, because it too is rather weak in terms of story.

So, I don't have any urge to see all the doctors on screen if the story itself isn't good.

BTW there is nothing saying when in his timeline The Doctor stole the TARDIS - obviously, yes, in his first incarnation, but nothing more - nor is there any canon story that tells us he left with Susan as a teenager. Hell, his backstory at that time was so purposely underwritten that there is loads of room for story in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    I see your "silly" and raise you a "poppycock!" There's nothing in the original show itself to suggest how long the Doctor has been away from Gallifrey. Susan is 15 in human years but who knows how old in Gallifreyan years. Further, there's nothing really to say that the Doctor only fled Gallifrey once or that in all his travels he always had Susan with him or that he wasn't the Doctor and wasn't very interesting before he fled Gallifrey.
    There I was busy with computer issues, when you essentially dove in and posted what was on my mind too.

This is the 'gift' of the first 3 to 6 seasons of Doctor Who - the writers and producers themselves hadn't yet decided who or what the Doctor was yet - and that leaves so many cracks for new material to be explored.

I guess my thing is I can separate myself from my inner-fanboy, and I would MUCH prefer a story that surprises me and delights me, than something that merely 'gives me what I want'.

Three Doctors and Five Doctors already did that, and they were middling and bland affairs, and neither came close to being 'high-marks' for Pertwee or Davidson's era - in fact, the only story from Davidson's era that I can think of as being WORSE than 5 Doctors was Warriors of the Deep.

The novelization was a far better read than the episode was to watch.

Moff's already said that if he does a multiple-Doctor story there'll be a good narrative reason for it, and it'll be about exploring the point that yes all these people are actually the same person experiencing these events at different points in his timeline. As opposed to just being a Big Party like The Five Doctors.

And while I don't quite have the can-do-no-wrong outlook on Moffat that I did before, oh, The Beast Below, I still think that sounds like exactly the sort of story he would be very good at writing. He gave us a taste of it in Time Crash, and, as ambivalent as I am about points of the River arc, I think it really has made for a very clever time travel story. Blink remains one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen, and The Girl in the Fireplace is up there too. All that to say, while he hasn't quite batted 1.000 (or whatever the British equivalent of that expression is) since taking over as showrunner, he's still one of the very best writers I've ever seen at playing with the nature of time travel and showing events experienced at different times and different perspectives. On back to even shows like Coupling and Jekyll.

There are a lot of caveats. If they actually try to cram all eleven Doctors into it, then that means it's either going to have to run pretty long (I'm thinking three hours plus) or give some of them short shrift. Limiting it to the eight surviving Doctors and/or just giving a brief cameo or acknowledgement to the three who are no longer with us would make things easier; doing some smaller subset of Doctors would be easier still. Of course Eccleston's participation is far from a sure thing, whereas the rest seem like they'd be happy to participate if given the offer (especially Tennant).

If I had to choose, I'd like to see more of McGann just because he's had the least screentime and I'd like to get another taste of What Might Have Been. I'd also really like to see Sean Pertwee as #3, but obviously that's lower priority than bringing back the actual surviving cast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast