Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Getting New Version Of Theme Tune And Title Sequence

Administrator

Default Doctor Who Getting New Version Of Theme Tune And Title Sequence

The BBC have officially announced that Doctor Who will have a newly reworked theme tune and opening title sequence as of next week's Christmas Special, The Snowmen.

The titles are designed to be "dramatic and striking" and will contain "a couple of unexpected touches." As for the theme, it will now be "more thrilling and powerful" as well as "slightly scary" and "stirring."

And there was me thinking this show worked best when it was being playful and comical.

So, we're officially still in the middle of a single 2012-2013 series. Ignore the massive break in screening, the change of companion, new theme tune and new titles - it's all one series. Nope, no two years of cut-length series here. The BBC say so. For some reason.

We look forward to The Snowmen with bated, frosty breath, new opening sequence or not.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Some of my friends have been trying to justify the odd schedule by pointing out that it's much like a single American season of a TV series. Never mind the fact that the BBC historically doesn't seem to make their shows -- at least not Doctor Who -- in that fashion. They just reallyreallyreally want to believe that all is well behind the scenes and that this is all part of Moffat's plan (instead of him working to make the show in such a way that it doesn't make the schedule that's been imposed on the show by the BBC seem so jarring). I'm guessing we'll finally learn the truth for certain one way or another in about 10 to 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post

The titles are designed to be "dramatic and striking" and will contain "a couple of unexpected touches." As for the theme, it will now be "more thrilling and powerful" as well as "slightly scary" and "stirring."

And there was me thinking this show worked best when it was being playful and comical.
    And here was me thinking it works best when it's all those things combined, constantly reinventing itself and refusing to settle down in any one niche too long!

Am keeping my fingers crossed for a free jazz version of the theme in the not-too-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    Am keeping my fingers crossed for a free jazz version of the theme in the not-too-distant future.
    It could potentially last longer than the episode.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    It could potentially last longer than the episode.

I was thinking more of just a 20 second blast of squonking free jaz, with drums that sound like they'r being pushed down a spiral staircase and possibly some horrible distorted synths cutting through the cacophony.

The title sequnce would be pretty stark. The screen would be jet black for most of the duration, until in the final few seconds a caption flashes up that just says 'Doctor Who' in a nice plain font. And then it goes black again. And then the episode starts.

(If anyone at the BBC is reading this, I'm available at the drop of a hat. For obvious reasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    As for the theme, it will now be "more thrilling and powerful" as well as "slightly scary" and "stirring.
    Oooh-eee-oooh BOO!'
    Visit http://dangermart.blogspot.com/ for comic reviews

VP in Charge of Cool

I'm quite alright with a new theme tune (or a variation on 11's existing Theme like the subtle difference in S7 so far)...but it shouldn't stray too far from what it began as...all the Doctor's were exemplified by their opening theme's...something like the subtle differences between S2 & 3....to the Voyage of the Damned differences....to the S4 differences....

I don't think it should be REALLY new....as that seems odd.

The title sequences is a different animal...I wonder if the rest of S7 will continue to the "darkening" feature they used so far....or if this new sequence will be all new...leaving us all to wonder WHY they darkened in the first place...I'm cool with a different sequence...but again it shouldn't go too overboard.

The airing order annoys the crap outta me. Can we go back to April - June airing sched please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    Will you settle for this?

Friends come in all sizes. That's a fact, it's true!

"And there was me thinking this show worked best when it was being playful and comical."

Guess you must have missed the literally decades-worth of 'scary / terrifying / behind the sofa' anecdotes from viewers, then...

Nope, Doctor Who is famous (and at it's best) for being scary. It just offsets that with the playfulness and the humour.
    "Flippin' 'eck, Tucker!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast