Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Michael P
  • 1 Post By Xofer
  • 2 Post By Marq
  • 1 Post By Maybeland

Thread: Dave Sim's Doctor Who

Administrator

Default Dave Sim's Doctor Who

In his Cerebus Kickstarter updates, Dave Sim talks at length about his revisions of the previously-serialised in Glamorpuss, The Strange Death Of Alex Raymond. But he also talked about his other projects.
    [FONT=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', 'Bitstream Charter', Times, serif]This is my first non-fasting day after finishing this month's four covers (DR.WHO #11 -- which was supposed to be #5 except I made a major mistake D'OH!, JUDGE DREDD #2, STAR TREK #? and SOON-TO-BE-ANNOUNCED #2) (it's not actually called that, it just hasn't been announced yet, a four-issue mini-series, written by IDW editor-in-chief Chris Ryall and drawn by Drew Moss -- I'm doing all four covers, God willing), so HOPEFULLY that's going to be our pattern for as long as Paradigm Three or Four holds: I do the IDW covers at the beginning of the month, then start on THE STRANGE DEATH OF ALEX RAYMOND and on my first non-fasting day after that, I come here to the coffee shop and get wired for sound on my once-every-ten-days half decaf half jet fuel and bring you all up to date on my progress. [/FONT]
    The Alex Raymond material was my favourite in Glamorpuss, so I am very much looking forward to reading that (including the mysteriously chaptered penultimate chapter) but is it so wrong of me to get excited by a Dave Sim Doctor Who cover?

Probably.

Wrote the Book on Cool The Valeyard's Avatar

I can't wait to see that cover!

I confess to being excited at the propect. It may be very cool.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I can't wait to see the Doctor and Rory's male light resisting Amy's female void!
    Bangladesh, Maybeland and Xofer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    The Alex Raymond material was my favourite in glamorpuss, so I am very much looking forward to reading that (including the mysteriously chaptered penultimate chapter) but is it so wrong of me to get excited by a Dave Sim Doctor Who cover?

Probably.
    Yes it is wrong of you to get excited about Sim's Dr Who. However, getting excited by Sim's Judge Dredd is perfectly sensible. If only he was drawing and writing Dredd instead of just drawing the covers. It would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I can't wait to see the Doctor and Rory's male light resisting Amy's female void!
    Oh dear. Imagine Dave's disappointment when the feminist and her ventriloquist puppet husband didn't divorce in "Asylum of the Daleks" after all.

"In one of those Poor Us studies for which the Emotional Female Void is notorious, it was pointed out that after a divorce, the average male standard of living rises... the average female standard of living drops... I think the...explanation is that the excision of a five-to-six- foot leech from the surface of a human body is going to have more of its own blood in its own veins. Unless the leech finds another body, it is going to go hungry."

http://theabsolute.net/misogyny/sim.html

Last edited by Xofer; 12-13-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: linked for the "citation needed" crowd
    Marq likes this.

Way Cool
    Over the horizon. Keep going, you'll find it.

Rich, did Dave Sim require you to fax him a signed contract that specifies that you won't call him a misogynist before he would talk to you?

With Tolerance For Extreme Viewpoints, But Only By Legal Necessity....

Marq
    Maybeland and Xofer like this.

How much is Sim paying Rich to rehabilitate his career?
    Xofer likes this.

Sim drawing covers - or really, anything - is exciting, and it's all the better if there's lettering involved, since Dave Sim remains the best letterer in comics. I mean, god, just look at that Dredd cover; that's awesome.

Now whether I'll read his writing certainly depends on which of his beliefs are on show. It seems pretty clear that he's only putting out what he knows will, if not be quite "commercially viable", then not actively chase away readers. I think I'm definitely on board when the Alex Raymond stuff comes along.