Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Trailer For Doctor Who Christmas Special Has A Couple Of Surprises

Administrator

Default New Trailer For Doctor Who Christmas Special Has A Couple Of Surprises

There's a famous and well-loved voice in this trailer for The Snowmen. His casting was a secret this time last week, but I guess everybody is going to know now.

You'll also get to see another "monster" apart from the Snowmen, one that had been under waps until now. I don't know what it is, only what it looks like. Do you recognise it?

Secret voice artists seems to have been something of a thing in the Moffat era. Michael Sheen, Mitchell and Webb, and now this guy (I'll avoid mentioning the name just in case there's anyone who still doesn't know). I wonder if it's a way to get some big names for relatively cheap, or if it's so they have the option to use the actors in the flesh in future.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    You'll also get to see another "monster" apart from the Snowmen, one that had been under waps until now. I don't know what it is, only what it looks like. Do you recognise it?
    You mean the "snow woman"? My guess: just another snow construct, created by the villain. Although she for some reason makes me think of a Raston Warrior Robot...

VP in Charge of Cool Drew Melbourne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
    You mean the "snow woman"? My guess: just another snow construct, created by the villain. Although she for some reason makes me think of a Raston Warrior Robot...
    Sadly, I also immediately thought of the Raston Warrior Robot. I suspect this has less to do with how-like-a-Raston-Warrior-Robot the creature was or wasn't than with how much Doctor Who fans of a certain age really loved the Raston Warrior Robot in all it's 15 seconds of screen time glory.

Wrote the Book on Cool The Valeyard's Avatar

Old school Who fan here who also thought it was a Raston Warrior Robot.

Zen Master of Cool

I didn't think Raston Warrior Robot. My first reaction was that we'll find out that she's part of a species that's cousins to the Cryons (Attack of the Cybermen). It won't be an actual Cryon, since they like hitting the "cousin to" button as much as anything (Ood cousins to Sensorites, the minotaur cousin to the Nimon)

Very Cool

I'm more interested in what is going on in that glass bubble. You have the Doctor and the Tardis in the same room with it, so you know it is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    I'm more interested in what is going on in that glass bubble. You have the Doctor and the Tardis in the same room with it, so you know it is important.
    Given that it's a Dr Who Christmas special with snowmen as villains? That's going to end up being a snowglobe...
    toodoor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thekeith82 View Post
    Secret voice artists seems to have been something of a thing in the Moffat era. Michael Sheen, Mitchell and Webb, and now this guy (I'll avoid mentioning the name just in case there's anyone who still doesn't know). I wonder if it's a way to get some big names for relatively cheap, or if it's so they have the option to use the actors in the flesh in future.
    I would like to suggest another theory: that all these "voice" actors were fans of classic Who. And given a chance to show up with the show back, they just can't say no.

Hey, it's not like I'd be able to.....
    thekeith82 likes this.

Dean of Cool University FilmBuffRich's Avatar

I would think that the possession of facial features would disqualify it from being a Raston Warrior Robot. My first thought was that it reminded me of Eldrad from the "Hand of Fear" episode, then a dozen reasons as to why it wouldn't be jumped into my head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast