Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: We Now Know When Doctor Who Is Coming Back After Christmas, But When Is Matt Smith Leaving...?

Administrator

Default We Now Know When Doctor Who Is Coming Back After Christmas, But When Is Matt Smith Leaving...?

In the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine, which is released tomorrow, we finally get to find out when the "back end" of the current series will screen - and it's not as soon as I had hoped. It's not until April.

When all is said and done, it's less like one series ran across 2012-13, but that each of those years got abbreviated runs.

According to Blogtor Who, April is also when the anniversary special will start filming. It's going to be a "love letter to the fans," apparently. No surprises there.

Meanwhile, Matt Smith is continuing to get grilled on his departure from the show. Here are some quotes from Female First:
    We've got Doctor Who's 50th anniversary coming up in November 2013, and one assumes there'll be another Christmas special after that, and I'd hope to be part of it. I take each year as it comes. All good things come to an end, but my mum is aghast at the thought of me ever not being the Doctor. The show is the star and will continue without me.

I'm committed to it next year and will sit down with Steven Moffat and see where we go from there. I've no immediate plans to leave. I'm around for a whole year and that's a long time.
    A lot of folk are going to read that as "He's staying!" I'm sure. Because that's what they want. I want him to stay - I think he's been better at this than anybody else. But I see there, plain as day, that he's only committed to the next year, there's not even a guaranteed 2013 Christmas special yet and if there is, he may not be in it.

"No immediate plans" followed by accounting for a year as "a long time" essentially says "I'm off in aaaaaages from now, but on my calendar aaaaaages is one year."

I can never get too worked up about these statements. It's not that I think he's lying, it's that I don't believe it's the truth either. They do (and should) routinely lie about these things to maintain the mystery.

He may not have made his mind up, it'll depend on what other offers come up, what the BBC will pay, what the scripts are like, what Moffat wants ... I get more excited at the prospect of a new Doctor that at the notion of a current one staying. By next year's end we'll have had a decent few years of Smith, so bring on someone new.

Bleeding Cool

Why, why, WHY does everyone keep asking "50th anniversary is here---BUT WHEN IS MATT SMITH LEAVING?!"

For godsake, don't rush the guy! If he says he's good, then he's good! Why this constant (and I've seen at least two articles here, alone) pestering and trying to out-predict when the next Doctor comes? Enjoy who you have while you have him and stop trying to be the "ULTIMATE NERD". Matt Smith will leave the show when he's ready. And hopefully---contrary to what seems to be this site's wishes---it will be a genuine surprise when he does.

Stop and smell the roses, Brendon. No one is going to give you cool points for spoiling his departure surprise. Although, if I know the media-hounds of the BBC, this will be announced a year ahead of time to make sure it's absolutely boring by the time it happens....
    Rich Flair and AnomanderRake like this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

So next year, after the last half of this current series is shown in April, all we get is the Anniversary special and the Christmas special?!?

As you say, it's more like 2012 and 2013 got half length runs.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Well, Tennant's not really set the world on fire since he left, so a steady gig is a steady gig... And Loinfruit has finally forgiven him for not being 'her Doctor', so there's that...

When he does leave the nest one way or another though, I do want a 10 week Saturday night series where different actors compete for the role, as voted for by the public...

Just so it can be called "Who's Who?"

Cheers

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Well, Tennant's not really set the world on fire since he left, so a steady gig is a steady gig...
    Tennant's been working steadily, though.

In any case, it would not surprise me if Smith stayed around through Season Eight. I expect it will depend heavily on what Moffat pitches him as a regeneration arc.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    So next year, after the last half of this current series is shown in April, all we get is the Anniversary special and the Christmas special?!?
    That (and the Destiny of the Doctor audios) is what we know about. More might be announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowspinner View Post
    Tennant's been working steadily, though.
    Sure... but 'not setting the world on fire'... a cancelled TV pilot, a couple of luke warm movie parts, some good stage work... Is it what he was aiming for?

Cheers
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Zen Master of Cool AnomanderRake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
    That (and the Destiny of the Doctor audios) is what we know about. More might be announced.
    I don't think anyone realizes that DESTINY will be the first time since their inception that Big Finish will be allowed to star Doctor's 9, 10 and 11 in Audio Drama stories (up till now I believe their contract with the Beeb was for only Classic Doctor's up to 8)...meaning we could quite possibly (as long as they play their own parts) get new Tennant and Eccelstone stories in the form of Audio Plays....and for that I'm SUPER excited!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast