Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Jenna-Louise Coleman Just Spoil The Who Doctor Who Clara-Oswin Companion Mystery?

Administrator

Default Did Jenna-Louise Coleman Just Spoil The Who Doctor Who Clara-Oswin Companion Mystery?

There are spoilers ahead, and not just for Doctor Who.

Back in May, Marion Cotillard was asked, point blank, about her character in The Dark Knight Rises. Was her good-girl businesswoman just a facade, an alias for Talia Al Ghul? She absolutely insisted not and maintained that her character would remain on the side of the angels until the end credits rolled.

Pfft. Most of us know now how that lie turned out.

And I think it's important to bear that in mind as we take on board Jenna-Louise Coleman's comments on her role - or rather roles in Doctor Who.

Published today is a new issue of The Radio Times with Coleman and Matt Smith on the cover in full Who attire, and there's a whole spread on the show's Christmas special inside.

Recognising one comment from Coleman to be key, the magazine pulled it out and splashed it on a big picture of her. Here's the full version of that bombshell, from the body of the article:
    The connection is that it's me playing both. I'm not Oswin: I'm a different person who looks and sounds like Oswin.
    She's referring to the mysterious connection between Clara, the new companion to the Doctor, a Victorian governess that we will meet in the special, and Oswin, the girl who became a Dalek in the series' first episode, a few months back.

Now, we can still read this literally, and it still be 100% true, and Clara and Oswin still be the same character. Why? Because they're interviewing Jenna-Louise Coleman, actress, not Clara, fictional character. And Coleman certainly isn't Oswin, but she definitely does look and sound like her.

Or we can read it as a lie.

Or we can read it as a huge spoiler that lets all of the mystery distort into nothing more than confusing casting, distortion and wishful thinking.

But if we look outside of The Radio Times, might we findColeman admitting that there's a strange tie between the two characters?

Here are some excerpts from the current Entertainment Weekly in which she addresses the twin roles:
    It?s interesting actually ? I think I can tell you this ? that that was never the initial plan either, to have me be Oswin. That was part of a genius plan that Steven came up with half way through the audition process. That was already written but not written for what was to be the new companion.

I was auditioning for the companion and then I got all these sides and I was like, ?Who?s Oswin? Theyclearlydon?t know what they want, they obviously don?t know what they?re looking for. They just want people to show them different things and see.? This is what I assumed when I was auditioning, not realizing that it?s basically Steven?s mad genius again.
    And Oswin, she says, isn't going to be addressed at all in the Christmas special:
    We?re going to have what has been referred to as a ?soft mystery.?For me, filming, I?ve been totally oblivious to Oswin and the Asylum of the Daleks. I really have had to erase it from my memory. Yeah, Christmas is it?s own episode... because of the way it started with Oswin, it?s really difficult to say much: where she?s from, what period she?s from, what planet she?s from, even.
    "Soft mystery" is good, as is the implication that they don't address it in this one episode, as opposed to any episode at all. I think we still have a mystery.

Coleman goes over some of the same ground in this video from the BBC Doctor Who multimedia advent calendar. The difference here is that you can listen to her brilliant mixed up accents.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ9aykeSJsU[/youtube]

So... are we feeling any the wiser?

Wrote the Book on Cool

So is Moffat intentionally doing what has been happenstance before?
    There's been a number of companions (the actors) who have appeared in the show before auditioning for the companion role, is Moffat just doing this again, but knowingly?
    But then they still tried to resolve those appearances like Martha's cousin in Torchwood and Gwen's great-great(etc) relation in the Unquiet Dead.

I don't think it's just happenstance. Otherwise, what was the point of Oswin's blatant wink to the audience when she said "Remember" just at the end of the episode? They're clearly setting up something.

And literally nothing was spoiled.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Except the end of Dark Knight Rises . . .

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScotiaNova View Post
    Except the end of Dark Knight Rises . . .
    Which I haven't seen yet. Thanks BC!

Wrote the Book on Cool Fuzzy Dunlop's Avatar

It's... Moffatt making it up as he goes along? Again?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It sometimes comes out good. Sometimes not so much. It'll be fine. Smith and Coleman are both great actors. Looking forward to the... whatever-it-is that is going to happen.

Doctor fucking Who, G.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Unless she told the truth and the only connection is that it's her playing the role. That's a huge spoiler if it's true. In the worst sense - it means all of the audience investment in this mystery will come to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    Did warn you.

Consultant of Cool

She says " That was already written but not written for what was to be the new companion."

Now it could be that she means the actress that is the new companion, but I read it as a slip to say Oswin is the companion.

Tho thats probably to support my assumption that Oswins erasure of the Doc from the Dalek interweb thing will come into play later - his big crisis would be that he need/decide to cross his timeline and prevent her becoming the Dalek, undermining his status as non-existent (as verified by the bad dude in Dinos on Spaceship).

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    The only people to spoil 'The Dark Knight Rises' were Jonathon and Christopher Nolan... the script was just awful. Especially completely undermining Bane with having Talia show up right at the end. Such a fantastic production, built on the shakiest of foundations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast