Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Gaiman, Mark Gatiss And Neil Cross Confirmed As Writers Of Next Year's Doctor Who

Administrator

Default Neil Gaiman, Mark Gatiss And Neil Cross Confirmed As Writers Of Next Year's Doctor Who

In the fresh issue of Doctor Who Magazine, there's a list of the writing and directing talent behind the next wave of episodes, formally the second half of this "seventh" series.

We kick off with Steven Moffat, at Christmas. His special, which we believe to be called The Snowmen, has been directed by Colm McCarthy.

And after that? Here's how the rest shake out.
    • Episode Seven: Written by Neil Cross, directed by Farren Blackburn.
    • Episode Eight: Written by Mark Gatiss, directed by Douglas MacKinnon.
    • Episode Nine: Written by Neil Cross, directed by Jamie Payne.
    • Episode Ten: Written by Stephen Thompson, directed by Mat King.
    • Episode Eleven: Written by Mark Gatiss, directed by Saul Metzstein.
    • Episode Twelve: Written by Neil Gaiman, directed by Steven Wolfenden.
    • Episode Thirteen: Written by Steven Moffat, director to be announced.
    Steve bloody Thompson. He was the perpetrator of last year's awful Pirate-themed charade, The Black Spot. Well, I'll root for him to have really pulled it out of the bag this time. C'mon Thompson.

Gaiman though? Yes please. And Cross will do nicely too.

Nine, ten and eleven have been filmed, with the Christmas special more or less, or perhaps just recently, wrapped. The rest will go before cameras in the coming months.

Default Filming on location yesterday in London...

...around the South Bank and Southwark.
    Your swearing does not impress me. My husband works for Tower Hamlets and believe me those kids make you sound like... Angela Lansbury!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Steve bloody Thompson. He was the perpetrator of last year's awful Pirate-themed charade, The Black Spot. Well, I'll root for him to have really pulled it out of the bag this time. C'mon Thompson.
    As dull as the Pirates episode was, he also wrote the The Reichenbach Fall episode of Sherlock. Which, considering he wrote the equally dull 2nd episode of the first series of Sherlock bodes well for his second Who episode, right? Right?

Zen Master of Cool

Has Mark Gatiss has a single good episode of Doctor Who yet? I think everything so far has been deep into the mediocre files, which is troubling since he's sort of the heir apparent. Also, the pirate episode had a lot of good concepts but really didn't pull them together.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metcalfe View Post
    As dull as the Pirates episode was, he also wrote the The Reichenbach Fall episode of Sherlock. Which, considering he wrote the equally dull 2nd episode of the first series of Sherlock bodes well for his second Who episode, right? Right?
    Yes, it does. I remember being worried about the second series' finale of Sherlock and then being amazed by it.

And I hope that Gaiman will not steal another of my ideas that I will use once I'm famous enough for them to let me write one Doctor Who's episode. Though if he does then we will have another brilliant story to watch.

is that the same Neil Cross who created "LUTHER"? Awesome!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    Has Mark Gatiss has a single good episode of Doctor Who yet? I think everything so far has been deep into the mediocre files, which is troubling since he's sort of the heir apparent. Also, the pirate episode had a lot of good concepts but really didn't pull them together.
    Wasn't the Unquiet Dead one of his? . . . That was pretty good . . .

Consultant of Cool

Hang on a second... Doesn't that mean Moffat's only written four episodes this year? Asylum, Angels, the Christmas Special and the finale?

Someone up above must be letting him free up from the usual showrunner workload...
    "Be nostalgic for now."

Co-creator of the Ogle Award-winning SF-Fantasy audio series, The Springheel Saga.
    www.facebook.com/TheSpringheelSaga

Zen Master of Cool

I put Unqiuet Dead middle of the pack for series one. It beats Aliens of London/World war III and Bad Wolf and probably The Long Game, but nothing else. Pretty middle of the road.

I think Night Terrors was the weakest episode of last season, save for y'know, the Pirate one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metcalfe View Post

The Reichenbach Fall was indeed very good. So he clearly has some talent. Also, Mark Gatiss's Dr Who has been very average, but again his other work is good. So lets hope these guys just need some practise to write good Dr Who episodes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast