Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Few Reasons Why DC Should Really Really Publish The Second Half Of Top Ten Season Two

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Top Ten apparently
    That really tore the charts up!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    That really tore the charts up!
    In fairness, if we named all of the creators on DCs current books, half of them probably fall into the same category of "never tore up the charts."

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    In fairness, if we named all of the creators on DCs current books, half of them probably fall into the same category of "never tore up the charts."
    Maybe, but that explain why he should get special treatment in the assumption that he will create a huge hit.

It also goes for the vast majority of creators for every company. Making hit comics isn't common.

Banned

Maybe, but that explain why he should get special treatment in the assumption that he will create a huge hit.

It also goes for the vast majority of creators for every company. Making hit comics isn't common.
    Probably doesn't deserve special treatment. But he, and his credentials, certainly merit more than being used as a fill-in.

Zen Master of Cool

What artist at DC other than Jim "I stabbed Alan Moore in the back so they named me VP" Lee qualifies as a hands down better draw than Ha? Even if you ignore that DC has released Top Ten five different formats (which only their most successful titles achieve), what current artists there other than Lee have had a title sell as many copies per issue as The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix did for Ha?

Zen Master of Cool

"won't publish the rest because it won't make money."

but they'll print crap like Ravagers

Wrote the Book on Cool Wallabee Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    I consider myself a pretty staunch DC fan...but honestly? It's like they are determined to implode.
    I feel bad for people like you. The DC characters are great and there are a lot of talented creators working with DC in some capacity, but management seems determined to make the worst possible choices.

Exceedingly Cool

From Heidi McDonald's The Beat:

10/2008: Season Two #1 of 4 -- 15,841

11/2008: Season Two #2 of 4 -- 12,710 (-19.8%)

12/2008: Season Two #3 of 4 -- 11,487 (- 9.6%)

01/2009: --

02/2009: --

03/2009: Season Two #4 of 4 -- 10,900 (- 5.1%)

03/2009: Special #1 -- 10,714 (- 1.7%)

Granted, this is Alan Moore stuff, so you'd think it'd have long legs in the book trade. Except it ISN'T Alan Moore, it's Zander Cannon and Gene Ha, with "Top 10 Created By Alan Moore and Gene Ha" in a smaller font than the assistant editor's name. And by 2008, the rift between DC and Alan Moore was well-known, so we all knew Alan wasn't coming back to the line.

I'd love to see more of it myself- I bought these, and the hardback reprints of all the ABC books, and the Absolutes...DC knows they'll get my money if they make it.

But those sales aren't very good. And for the comment "they'll print crap like the Ravagers", well...

03/2013: Ravagers #10 -- 13,466 (- 5.3%)

Yep. The latest book of Ravagers outsold the last book of Top Ten Season Two. In fact, NONE of the "New 52/45/whatever" books sold worse than that, according to this link:

DC Comics Month-to-Month Sales: March 2013 — now with 10 year comparisons

And that doesn't count digital sales, of which there were zero in 2008.

So yeah, DC sucks, editorial sucks...but if you were making the decision to sell this PURELY on sales history...it's not the easiest case. Especially since you'd now be asking a new audience, six years later (by the time it was done), to basically buy the fifth issue of a story that didn't sell well. Not impossible, but it's really, really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Probably doesn't deserve special treatment. But he, and his credentials, certainly merit more than being used as a fill-in.
    Maybe, but if they're phasing out minis and that's what he can handle. I don't know the Justice League story since I haven't read it yet, but he did an arc on Phantom Stranger and an issue of Shade, and I wouldn't really count those as fill-in assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by comics2read View Post
    What artist at DC other than Jim "I stabbed Alan Moore in the back so they named me VP" Lee qualifies as a hands down better draw than Ha? Even if you ignore that DC has released Top Ten five different formats (which only their most successful titles achieve), what current artists there other than Lee have had a title sell as many copies per issue as The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix did for Ha?
    I'm sure some random issue of Spawn in the 90s sold more than Cyclops and Phoenix.

And if you're going by 20+ year old books, I bet people like Perez and Starlin topped it too.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast