Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bahrain Bans The V For Vendetta Mask

Administrator

Default Bahrain Bans The V For Vendetta Mask

Here's the translated decree from the Bahrain government.
    The Minister of Industry and Commerce:After looking at Law number 35 of the year 2012 concerning the protection of consumers, and more closely at article 16 of the law;And building upon the request of the Ministry of Interior;And taking into account the public's safety;And building on the suggestion of the secretary to the ministry of Trade;

The following has been decided:

Article One:It is prohibited to import the "Revolution Mask" or anything similar to it that conceals the face.

Article Two:It is up to the secretary of the Ministry of Trade as well as all who specialize in the kingdom's ports ? each with their own jurisdiction ? to execute this decision and to do so beginning at the date of its publication and to publish it in official newspapers.

Minister of Industry and Commerce,Hassan Bin-Abdallah Fakhro
    The "Revolution" mask is the Guy Fawkes mask, popularised by Anonymous, Occupy and the Arab Spring based on its appearance in the V For Vendetta movie and original design in the V For Vendetta comic by David Lloyd.

And once again, life imitates art.

*shrugs*
    It is actually illegal here (Germany, Austria, parts of Swiss, Italy) to hide your face in any demonstration
    Thanks Wikipedia
    RIP Hellblazer, Fuck DCU Constantine
    Disclaimer: No more unusual profanity is used in this signature as what you read on these boards anyway

Way to make the symbol even more powerful, Bahrain!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krotzer View Post
    Way to make the symbol even more powerful, Bahrain!
    Cause we all know anarchists want what's best for the world right?

the government better find somewhere else to be on November 5th.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jasoninthewoods View Post
    Actually, I daresay most of them do; whether their methods are conducive to it is an entirely different discussion (one I'm not going to touch with a 10ft pole, because honestly, I'm just not qualified for it).

Regardless, a Guy Fawkes/V mask these days says less about the wearer's politics than about the amount of time they spend on 4chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogoido View Post
    Actually, I daresay most of them do; whether their methods are conducive to it is an entirely different discussion (one I'm not going to touch with a 10ft pole, because honestly, I'm just not qualified for it).

Regardless, a Guy Fawkes/V mask these days says less about the wearer's politics than about the amount of time they spend on 4chan.
    In Bahrain it should be worn with a Turban. Ayatollah Guy Fawkes!

Quote Originally Posted by jasoninthewoods View Post
    I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said. My statement was that banning the masks simply makes wearing one a much more powerful statement in terms of protest. Not sure how that implies anything about anarchists or their motives' benevolence.

is bahrain a country where women wear burkas?
    i really wouldn't know, hence the question (obvs).

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    is bahrain a country where women wear burkas?
    i really wouldn't know, hence the question (obvs).
    Argh, burqa

Women in Bahrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although some Bahraini women wear head-covers while in public places, many of them are not completely veiled.[3] The traditional garments of the women of Bahrain include the jellabiya, a long, loose dress, which is one of the preferred clothing style for the home and the workplace. Bahraini women may practice the Muhtashima, partially covering the hair, or the Muhajiba, fully covering the hair. Apart from covering the hair, covering the face is also practiced, namely the Burqa, partially covering the face, and the Mutanaqiba, fully covering the face. The practice of veiling is evident in both young and older women. In addition, the use of make-up, nail polish, and perfumes, or other accessories that attract attention are discouraged in public. Culturally, Bahrain’s unveiled women are discouraged from smiling at strangers, particularly to men who are not family members or those that are unrelated to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast