Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Dan DiDio Apologise To DC Comics Creators?

Administrator

Default Did Dan DiDio Apologise To DC Comics Creators?

Before the recent top-secret DC creative summit, Bleeding Cool ran a suggestion box, printing suggestions from actual DC comic creators about how they'd like to see things change.

Whether it was because of that list, or because of those sentiments also being expressed face-to-face, I don't know. But I'm told that at the summit, Publisher Dan DiDio apologised to creators gathered around.

With President Diane Nelson to his side, DiDio admitted that there had been problems in the editorial chain, apologised for the repeated back-and-forths on people's scripts and art, and committed to reducing such editorial inputs once an editorial direction has been agreed upon and approved.

And Diane Nelson said she'd ensure this happened.

Which left a number of frustrated people... rather happy actually. Let's see how it plays out.

I'd make a joke about how to takes a big man to apologise, but I need to hit the treadmill first. After I've had pizza.

Huh, well i guess it all right then?
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

VP in Charge of Cool superfriend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    and committed to reducing such editorial inputs once an editorial direction has been agreed upon and approved.
    WTF-Certified-DC-Comics-New-52-April-2013-black-and-white.jpg

fine print. have we learned nothing about fine print?
    eye em aych oh

sometimes the best argument in favor of the old... is the new.
    stay thirsty my friends.

It makes me really happy to hear this.

We made a LOT of fun of the guys in charge all year, and deservedly so, but we also know that head honchos can have a lot of pride. Too much pride to admit when they're wrong sometimes. I think we've all seen instances where leaders would rather go down with the ship than admit that they made mistakes.

Hopefully his (their) actions follow those words.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by superfriend View Post
    WTF-Certified-DC-Comics-New-52-April-2013-black-and-white.jpg

fine print. have we learned nothing about fine print?
    There's a HUGE difference between editorial direction and rejecting stories after they've already been approved.

I will believe it when I see it, though. I think DC has burned a lot of creative bridges lately.

Honestly not terribly surprising. I got the impression that a big part of the summit was to put out the raging fires that have been part of DC's MO as of late. I suspect at some point, somebody had to say enough is enough, we're bleeding creative and we need to hold on tightly to what promising young talent we have left and give them a sense they aren't going to be dicked around any more. "Hey guys, sorry we've been jerks. Please don't go to Marvel, where you hear they're not jerks."

But again, it all is a matter of time to see if DiDio's word is worth anything. It's one thing to say in a private conference "Yeah, we've been doing this poorly", but if you turn around and keep doing it? There are only so many summits you can have, y'know?

Wrote the Book on Cool

From everything I've heard, Didio is a pretty stand up guy, and straightforward. I give him some serious respect for accepting responsibility for some of the obvious editorial mess.

What DC really needs are stronger talent scouts, I think. That said, perhaps they've made inroads there, because their recent reorganizations have been almost all universally well considered; bigger roles for Fawkes, Jordan, Kindt, Fialkov, Venditti. New talent like Soule and Kot. These are the kinds of people they should be approaching and promoting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidNixon View Post
    Honestly not terribly surprising. I got the impression that a big part of the summit was to put out the raging fires that have been part of DC's MO as of late. I suspect at some point, somebody had to say enough is enough, we're bleeding creative and we need to hold on tightly to what promising young talent we have left and give them a sense they aren't going to be dicked around any more. "Hey guys, sorry we've been jerks. Please don't go to Marvel, where you hear they're not jerks."

But again, it all is a matter of time to see if DiDio's word is worth anything. It's one thing to say in a private conference "Yeah, we've been doing this poorly", but if you turn around and keep doing it? There are only so many summits you can have, y'know?
    I'm pretty sure they weren't "bleeding creative(s)," and none of the people who left them were their "promising young talent" anyway, which they seem quite willing and able tp attract, keep and promote.

I've got no doubt this is true, as has been my experience in these kind of tortured company environments. Dan is, after all, the fall guy for the company. As much as he gets shitted on by the reading public, that IS his job: to take the blame & keep eyes away from the actual inner workings of all these individual situations; editors and their quirks in trying to get their books to sell; creators and their diva-tirades that any creative person who has enough of an ego to make it in the biz is prone to have, but liable to be misunderstood if discovered by their fans.

So instead of saying the truth: "Listen, to distinguish ourselves from Image & all the other companies, we & Marvel are going to stop kissing your asses the way other smaller companies & the internet will and start treating you like the employees that you are. Books WILL come out on time & fuck you if you can't deliver"; Dan gets up there to be the fall guy for all the mistakes that were made by all the OTHER people in that room & the company itself (something he is very well compensated for).

the animated Batman guy looks hot
    "However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum." - ThanosCopter

http://timberoo.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast