Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Bruce Wayne Make The Cruelest Betrayal Of All? (Batman #17 Spoilers)

Administrator

Default Did Bruce Wayne Make The Cruelest Betrayal Of All? (Batman #17 Spoilers)

There are spoilers for Batman #17, the conclusion to Death Of The Family, below.

So no one died.

Well, lots of people died, but they were mostly ephemeral characters. Drowned, hung, stitched together, gassed, whatever, but the central crew survived. However, they may be a little reticent getting together again after all they've been through? Is this the death of the family - as a unit? It doesn't really seem so, just some momentary grumpiness.

Except there's one aspect of the comic that seems to be being missed, with people expressing a vague feeling of disappointment in what the series built up to.

Batman betrayed the family far more than they will ever know.

At the end of the issue, Bruce Wayne talks to the recovering Alfred (and seriously, would it have killed them to keep him in zombiefied form for a few more issues, hanging around Wayne Manor?) and confesses to the time when he visited The Joker as Bruce Wayne, specifically after they'd already taken in Dick Grayson. And he brought with him the Joker card that he suspected the Joker may have left in the Bat Cave.

He didn't get a reaction.

But here's the thing. Bruce Wayne was happy to gamble the safety of the Batman family, even in its most proto form, on trying to make some kind of point, or get some kind of clarification from the Joker. If Joker had left the card, if he had wanted to know Batman's identity, if he had wanted to destroy Batman and friends that way, then by Bruce showing his cards, as it were, Joker would have had all the cards. Bruce Wayne did gamble with the safety of his family and friends.

And none of them, save Alfred, know. Is this little revelation to be saved for later?

Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London, who are currently planning this little Valentine's Day special tomorrow...

Brutal Beating And Eventual Falling Out Of The Family sounds like a better name for this crossover. Not as catchy though. Still, I think Snyder and company set the stage for a post Morrison reworking of the concept of trust and family in the Bat...err...Family of books. I also get a feeling Batman Inc., the very idea and concept of it as well as the actual book, might go away resetting things back to a more pre-Morrison status quo.

Wrote the Book on Cool Mars Hottentot's Avatar

Bring on Batman Inc. #8!!

Wrote the Book on Cool

I think it was more like "I just took a kid in. Now someone close to me, someone more vulnerable than an old military guy, can get hurt, and my worst villain would certainly use that against me." so he had to find out if Joker knew. I'm sure if he clued Bruce in than Bruce would have taken steps. Mind wipes and all.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

Or maybe "Daredevil isn't filled with angst, so we need to get our Miller-inspired fix SOMEWHERE"

Mario Di Giacomo

And that is why I don't read Batman and can't handle this reputation he has as a master strategist and 'can beat anyone with prep time'. Take the Joker out, period. Every time the Joker kills, it's on Batman for not being able to seal the deal when he was in a position to do it.
    "However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum." - ThanosCopter

http://timberoo.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Timberoo View Post
    And that is why I don't read Batman and can't handle this reputation he has as a master strategist and 'can beat anyone with prep time'. Take the Joker out, period. Every time the Joker kills, it's on Batman for not being able to seal the deal when he was in a position to do it.
    You want Batman to commit murder?

The out of character Snyder-ized Bruce Wayne in that flashback maybe….
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    You want Batman to commit murder?
    To save the lives of hundreds of thousands? Yes.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

If Gordon was written like the po-po Commish we’re supposed to believe he is, then Gordon would have shot The Joker in the GCPD HQ when this arc started.
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast