Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Zeus Comics Announces Boycott Of Adventures Of Superman

Administrator

Default Zeus Comics Announces Boycott Of Adventures Of Superman

Zeus Comics in Dallas, Texas, is the first comic store to state that they will not be carrying the print edition of Adventures Of Superman, while Orson Scott Card writing a story for the comic. On Facebook, they posted;
    Zeus Comics will not be carrying the print edition of writer Orson Scott Card's Superman.

Card sits on the board of the National Organization of Marriage which fights against marriage equality. His essays advocate the destruction of my relationship, that I am born of rape or abuse and that I am equated with pedophilia. These themes appear in his fiction as well.

It is shocking DC Comics would hire him to write Superman, a character whose ideals represent all of us.

If you replaced the word "homosexuals" in his essays with the words "women" or "jews" he would not be hired. But I'm not sure why its still okay to "have an opinion" about gays? This is about equality.

From my husbands tumblr - a scan of a recent Superman comic and what's interpreted as possible gay teen suicide.
    I did ask if the store had carried Orson Scott Card's Ultimate Iron Man series for Marvel, or their adaptations of his Ender's Game books and was told;
    we did at the time. Some of this discovery about OSC happened over time. His NOM activism for example started in 2009 - well after Ult Iron Man.
    You can read previous discussion on this topic below;

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Let's just stop publishing books or comics by any writer who has an opinion that others find dangerous and offensive. It would be interesting to see how many new books we'd get each year.

Yes, some actions and opinions are more offensive to me than others, but as long as they are not punishable by law, they shouldn't affect the writers options for whom to work or where to publish his stuff.

Well, it's been talked to death here, already. Still bothers me though.
    Joe Kalicki, Cassidy, _OM_ and 6 others like this.

Consultant of Cool

I feel bad for Anthony Johnston, Chris Sprouse, Jeff Parker and Chris Samnee. No one really cares about them.

Wrote the Book on Cool

All-Star #10 is "recent" now?

VP in Charge of Cool

Its their right to not carry the book. At least they aren't saying that they are going to stop carrying all DC books.
    Eric Sean likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by die-yng View Post
    Let's just stop publishing books or comics by any writer who has an opinion that others find dangerous and offensive. It would be interesting to see how many new books we'd get each year.

Yes, some actions and opinions are more offensive to me than others, but as long as they are not punishable by law, they shouldn't affect the writers options for whom to work or where to publish his stuff.

Well, it's been talked to death here, already. Still bothers me though.

While I'm against censorship, I am happy to see a retailer decide to not order something, based on principle. Now if only retailers, as a whole, would take this stance with gratuitous variants, cash grab crossover events, costume change "events" and the "shocking" super hero death issues (which is obviously not permanent).

Very Cool

I'm surprised OSC wants to write Superman in the first place. Superman is non-human, right? And he's traditionally been prtrayed as being in a relationship with a human, right? If OSC doesn't approve of some relationships among HUMANS, then surely he'd have problems with the Supes/Lois relationship too, hmm?
    othermarlo and YojimboPersona like this.

So did this store carry the 2012 Ultimate Iron Man Mandarin Mini Series written by Card?
    Evilsmurf and narcejac like this.

Way Cool

this only one shop I think the real reason it does not want to sell the book is because they doubt it will do well. there a lot of alternatives. Dallas is a big city there has got to be more then one shop there .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by die-yng View Post

What an ignorant statement. This is not about "dangerous and offensive" opinions; this is about hatred.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast