Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Wins Big Against Estate Of Jerry Siegel Over Ownership Of Superman

Administrator

Default DC Wins Big Against Estate Of Jerry Siegel Over Ownership Of Superman

"I can't stand to look at a Superman comic book. It makes me physically ill. I love Superman, and yet, in my mind, he's been twisted around into some kind of alien thing." - Jerry Siegel
    The US Appeal courts have ruled in favour of Warner Bros and DC Entertainment in the dispute with the heirs of Jerry Siegel over the rights and ownership to Superman and enforces the 2001 contract between Sigel's estate and DC Comics.

Deadline interprets this as a "green light for Warner Bros. to now move forward with its Superman big screen reboot Man of Steel and other related properties" and reports that the ruling criticised an earlier ruling that allowes Siegel's heirs to challenge the contract, and that a letter from their lawyers to DC was to to be considered an acceptance of that contract.

There are more decisions to come, but this was pretty central.

Wrote the Book on Cool

The little guy didn't win? Shocking.

Wrote the Book on Cool

But really, I'm not particularly angered by the decision. I'd be more incensed were S&S actually alive today, but all those who actually created the character in question are gone.

I would like to see greater respect and compensation to those who genuinely created enduring elements and aspects of the Superman mythology, though. S&S did a lot, but so did others along the way. Taking a moment to recognize that wouldn't hurt (though I understand DC is generally pretty good about doing just that, from what I've seen of their dealings with Neal Adams and Len Wein).

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    The little guy didn't win? Shocking.
    Correction: The heir of the little guy, who had nothing at all to do with the intellectual property being fought over, didn't win.

In this case, I don't think the little guy should have won. Jerry Siegel made a great character that will outlast all of us, but how long should his family be paid for it? They remind me of the what is left of the Jackson family, trying to live off of Michael's dubious fame and talent, instead of doing anything on their own. Everything comes to an end. Be proud of what your relative did (Jerry) and move on!

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Correction: The heir of the little guy, who had nothing at all to do with the intellectual property being fought over, didn't win.
    Yeah its such a relief the big guy had enough money and lawyers to keep it all tangled up in court long enough to make sure all the little guys died
    “Everything in life is just for a while.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

--------------------------------

"DC comics are for ☛□☚'s"

"Batman Eternal my @¬$£"

"Marvel Essential collections make great colouring books"
    --Betty Boolean

Personally, I think that the U.S. Copyright laws need to be changed. There is a point where commercial art becomes part of the human experience. Characters become myth, stories become lessons.

That being said, I feel that the heirs have been given a lot of dodgy legal advise from a shady lawyer. In fact, I believe that Shuster and Seigel always followed bad legal advise.

It's amazing to me that Bob Kane managed to remained on good terms with National. His father also managed to legally screw with DC.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by betty boolean View Post
    Yeah its such a relief the big guy had enough money and lawyers to keep it all tangled up in court long enough to make sure all the little guys died
    The "little guys" made deals when they were still alive. More than once. Maybe not the best deals, but they made them.

I really think the Siegels, even though I don't personally think they should be entitled to work and creations they did not create themselves, would have still been taken care of, if they hadn't hooked up with Toberoff who is significantly more greedy. That guy sounds like scum. And hardly a "little guy."

To add to my statement, though: I do feel some sympathy for the Siegels because the way I see it, Toberoff just lost them whatever right they got.
    Last edited by KryptonSite; 01-10-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added a paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    But really, I'm not particularly angered by the decision. I'd be more incensed were S&S actually alive today, but all those who actually created the character in question are gone.

I would like to see greater respect and compensation to those who genuinely created enduring elements and aspects of the Superman mythology, though. S&S did a lot, but so did others along the way. Taking a moment to recognize that wouldn't hurt (though I understand DC is generally pretty good about doing just that, from what I've seen of their dealings with Neal Adams and Len Wein).
    I agree completely
    "Looking past all that, with the number of regular comic buyers steadily decreasing, now would be a good time to be more inclusive of other genders, races, orientations, etc. There's only so many white dudes left." - downlikecharlie

Banned

So far, 3 out of 5 posters who have no idea how intellectual property and inheritance works

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast