Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before Watchmen To Double Up For Hardcover Collections

Administrator

Default Before Watchmen To Double Up For Hardcover Collections

DC Comics will be collecting the Before Watchmen series in hardcover in July in four volumes, once every week, and giving you two stories in one, all priced at $29.99.

BEFORE WATCHMEN VOL 1:

The controversial, long-awaited prequels to the best-selling graphic novel of all-time are finally here: BEFORE WATCHMEN! For over twenty years, the back stories of the now-iconic characters from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's landmark graphic novel had been the subject of much debate and theorizing. Now, DC Comics has assembled the greatest creators in the industry to further paint the world of WATCHMEN, starting with this first volume starring MINUTEMEN and SILK SPECTRE

The critically acclaimed and Eisner Award-winning creator of DC: THE NEW FRONTIER Darwyn Cooke lends his talents MINUTEMEN. As the predecessor to the Watchmen, the Minutemen were assembled to fight against a world that have more and more rapidly begun to spin out of control. Can these heroes from completely different backgrounds and with completely different attitudes on crime come together? Or will they fall apart before they begin?

SILK SPECTRE takes an introspective look at the WATCHMEN feature player's struggles with her overbearing superhero mother and her scattered path toward taking the mantle of the Silk Spectre. With gorgeous art by co-writer and illustrator Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL, The Pro), SILK SPECTRE takes a very different perspective at the world of BEFORE WATCHMEN.

Collects BEFORE WATCHMEN: MINUTEMEN 1-6 and BEFORE WATCHMEN: SILK SPECTRE 1-4.

BEFORE WATCHMEN VOL 2

The controversial, long-awaited prequels to the best-selling graphic novel of all-time are finally here: BEFORE WATCHMEN! For over twenty years, the back stories of the now iconic characters from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's landmark graphic novel have remained a mystery, until now. DC Comics has assembled the greatest creators in the industry to further paint the world of WATCHMEN, with this second volume starring two of the most polarizing anti-heroes ever, COMEDIAN and RORSCHACH.

Eisner Award-winning writer and creator of 100 Bullets Brian Azzarello brings his gritty, nuanced storytelling to these two recognizable characters. In RORSCHACH, Azzarello again teams with superstar artist Lee Bermejo (JOKER, LUTHOR, BATMAN/DEATHBLOW) to illustrate how one of most dangerous vigilantes the comic world has ever seen became even darker. COMEDIAN, featuring art by J.G. Jones (FINAL CRISIS, Wanted), plants the famed war hero within the context of American history, as we find out how the Vietnam War and the Kennedy assassination revolve around him.

Collects BEFORE WATCHMEN: COMEDIAN 1-6 and BEFORE WATCHMEN: RORSCHACH 1-4.

BEFORE WATCHMEN VOL 3

Discover what happened before WATCHMEN as writer J. Michael Straczynski is joined by Andy Kubert and the legendary Joe Kubert to take flight with the gadget-savvy vigilante known as Nite Owl! And then in BEFORE WATCHMEN: DR. MANHATTAN, JMS teams with fan-favorite artist Adam Hughes on the all-powerful super-man Dr. Manhattan. For Dr. Manhattan, past, present, and future are one and the same. But as he observes the events of his life, do they remain the same? Or are they changed? The very fact of his existence may have altered the nature of what will or will not be...

Collects BEFORE WATCHMEN: NITE OWL #1-4 and BEFORE WATCHMEN: DR. MANHATTAN #1-4.

BEFORE WATCHMEN VOL 4

Discover what happened before WATCHMEN. The team of legendary writer Len Wein and acclaimed artist Jae Lee--in his first DC Comics' work in nearly a decade--delve into the mind of the smartest man in the world: Ozymandias. How does one go from the son of immigrant parents to becoming the world's smartest man? Adrian Veidt begins his journey, both spiritual and physical, that will one day make him one of the most pivotal players in the world-changing events of WATCHMEN.

Collects BEFORE WATCHMEN: OZYMANDIAS #1-6, "Curse of the Crimson Corsair."

No news on Dollar Bill or Moloch, but it would make sense to squeeze the former into Vol 1 and the latter into Vol 4.

But in June, we get one last bite of the original cherry with a Deluxe Hardcover of Watchmen, in a fashion that will sit with the Before Watchmen hardcovers.

The last volume listed should be called After Before Watchmen

Consultant of Cool

I'm vaguely impressed that they put Minutemen and Silk Spectre into one book together, so you really do just have to buy one book in order to get the two best series. You know, rather than match each of them up with one of the, ahem, lesser series in order to shift two books.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Is it it me or did almost all the books run afoul of lateness? Excluding Night Owl of course which is understandable.

They should have gone the flip book route. That worked out so great for DC in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    No news on Dollar Bill or Moloch, but it would make sense to squeeze the former into Vol 1 and the latter into Vol 4.
    Since Vol. 2 is composed of JMS books, features Risso's name on the cover, and only contains 8 issues at this point, I'm betting that Moloch will show up in that volume. Likewise, I'm betting Dollar Bill will end up in Vol. 4, since it's the Len Wein book and is also light on content.

I'll definitely get Vol. 1, not sure about the rest. I was really unsure what the best way to collect these books would be, but pairing them up according to writer is probably the best way to go.

Wrote the Book on Cool CBattles6's Avatar

Thank God they put Minutemen and Silk Spectre in the same trade. Now I only have to buy one of them.

Zen Master of Cool WinterCeltic's Avatar

So I guess the title is now BEFORE WATCHMEN

Subtle, DC. Very subtle.

And they couldn't even bother to put new artwork on the covers of these "deluxe" hardcovers? (Assuming these shown... That took someone in photoshop all of 5 minutes to slap together... are indeed the final covers).

That said, these particular combos do make sense. Just don't like the haphazard attempt with these covers, and utterly despise what they're doing with the title logo on these things.
    Last edited by WinterCeltic; 12-10-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sirfox89 View Post
    Since Vol. 2 is composed of JMS books, features Risso's name on the cover, and only contains 8 issues at this point, I'm betting that Moloch will show up in that volume. Likewise, I'm betting Dollar Bill will end up in Vol. 4, since it's the Len Wein book and is also light on content.
    That's what I think. And I'm pretty sure that in addition to Ozymandias #1-6, the Dollar Bill one-shot and all of the Crimson Corsair back-ups, volume 4 will also include the epilogue one-shot by Wein and Higgins.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WinterCeltic View Post
    And they couldn't even bother to put new artwork on the covers of these "deluxe" hardcovers? (Assuming these shown... That took someone in photoshop all of 5 minutes to slap together... are indeed the final covers).
    I put full blame on the asshat that created the DC logo. Seems like something that person would do

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WinterCeltic View Post
    So I guess the title is now BEFORE WATCHMEN

Subtle, DC. Very subtle.
    You're complaining that they're emphasizing the word Watchmen on the covers of books about the characters from Watchmen? Exactly which word should've been emphasized, Before?

And they couldn't even bother to put new artwork on the covers of these "deluxe" hardcovers?
    They're pretty good covers to begin with, so what's the problem?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast