Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Eddie Berganza Takes The Superman Books Back

Administrator

Default Eddie Berganza Takes The Superman Books Back

Earlier this year, Eddie Berganza was demoted from Executive Editor at DC Comics to Group Editor at DC Comics. A number of people believed his days were numbered at the publisher, but more reliable sources noted that Berganza and Editor-In Chief Bob Harras had formed quite a bond.

One of the announcements made at DC yesterday was that Berganza would take over editing all the Superman books. Of late they have been split among a number of people, with Matt Idelson as Group Editor, but Eddie editing Superman, Matt Idelson editing Action Comics (and the upcoming Man Of Steel), Will Moss editing Supergirl, and Chris Conroy editing Superboy.

Now it seems all these books will be edited under Eddie Berganza's watch. As for Matt Idelson? Maybe we'll find out later, when a few people are over their hangovers.

...Somehow, Berganza and Harras becoming bromates has about as much surprise as "No, the butler didn't do it. That was the maid *crossdressed* as the butler."
    spacedog likes this.

Consultant of Cool

Great news. The Superman books need more cohesiveness and clarity of purpose. Eddie Berganza is the perfect man for the job!

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Comics View Post
    Great news. The Superman books need more cohesiveness and clarity of purpose. Eddie Berganza is the perfect man for the job!
    Yeah, I can't believe I am going to state this, but under Idelson's watch the monthly books were bad. I do think Berganza will do a better job. That doesn't mean I am going to start pickup any Superbook through.
    papabear likes this.

Dean of Cool University Acrid_Gunsmoke's Avatar

All this means is that fans of the "H'El On Earth" crossover will be even happier, as the Superman books will more than likely all tie in together now.

Not sure how I feel about this. Berganza has his faults, but the Super-books sure could use some cohesion.

Wrote the Book on Cool

If it gives the book a coherency and direction, I'm all for it.

Here is hoping he doesn't go for the super-intertwined style he was going for before, with Kelly/Casey/Loeb/Schultz. I can't stand that.

But he was the guy who was supposed to put together the Morrison/Waid/Millar/Peyer Superman run before it was nixed from on high, and his backup team wasn't horrible -- Kelly and Schultz, at least, and Casey was occasionally great and Loeb was good on paper at that point still.

From what I've seen, Berganza's greatest strength as an editor is that he's got very good relationships with the talent, and generally lets them do their thing.

The crucial step there, then, is that he puts the right talent on the books, because he tends to be very hands off. He let Geoff Johns get very mediocre, IMHO, on Green Lantern when he was editing it.

So we'll see. He's got some connections. Gene Ha is a big fan of his, too.
    papabear likes this.

Consultant of Cool

I give Berganza a lot of credit for the revitalization the Superman books went through from late 1999 to 2002, but 2003 was one of the most miserable years the line's ever had, with Seagle, Casey and Kelly writing some real stinkers. The line recovered a bit in 2004, thanks to Rucka and Azzarello, but that year also gave us Austen's horrible Action Comics run. After that, the books did nothing but build up to Infinite Crisis and then tie in to the event itself.

Under Matt Idelson, the Superman books suffered from significant continuity and consistency problems, caused mostly by Adam Kubert's absurd delays on Action Comics (by the time his arc's conclusion finally came out, it completely contradicted Chris Kent's and Mon-El's appearances in Busiek's Superman run) and Joe Kelly mucking with Supergirl's origin. Things got a lot better once James Robinson, Greg Rucka and Sterling Gates came aboard, with Geoff Johns running the show. The whole New Krypton storyline might have been overlong and not very successful commercially, but it was tremendously well coordinated and the books didn't miss a single shipping date. It seemed Idelson had finally gotten the hang of overseeing the Superman line, but the New 52 brought back the old miscommunication and consistency problems.

I hope Berganza can get the Superman line back on track, but I can't forget how he mismanaged the JLA book during McDuffie's and Robinson's runs.
    Last edited by shagamu; 12-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Wrote the Book on Cool I_Captain Blanco's Avatar

Best possible news for the Superman books.

VP in Charge of Cool Captain Comet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I_Captain Blanco View Post
    Best possible news for the Superman books.
    Nah, the best possible news for the Superman books rhymes with Dark Maid.
    saidestroyer, Jonny R and spacedog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post
    Nah, the best possible news for the Superman books rhymes with Dark Maid.
    Yeah, I think Dark Maid, Pom Teyer and Sail Gimone would work well together. They all seem to "get" Lois, which is important, at least to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast