Page 55 of 137 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    I liked Flinch a lot. It felt very "original Vertigo" to me. Great creators, innovative and edgy stories. It's just unfortunate that anthologies have such a tough time surviving in the modern marketplace.

And it still blows my mind that Enigma was once slated to be published by Disney. If that had happened I think it would have torn a hole in the fabric of reality.
    Milligan was, for my money, the real heart and soul of Vertigo in those first few years. The man was on fire, I tell you. On fire!

I think Neil Gaiman said something to the effect that Vertigo was a lot like Epic was in its early years, in that you could pick pretty much anything up that they were putting out back then and know that it would be interesting, even if it wasn't necessarily to your tastes. I think I'd agree with that. I was never that into Sandman, for example, but I could appreciate that it was doing something quite special that wasn't happening anywhere else.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Vertigo's early years were spectacular. Sure, there were some clunker titles (the Black Orchid and Kid Eternity ongoings both left me cold), but I always appreciated their experimental approach -- especially when it came to one-shots and minis.

I enjoyed Kid Eternity at the time. That said, I was 15 when it came out, so it might read as well to me as most grunge sounds to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Sure, there were some clunker titles (the Black Orchid and Kid Eternity ongoings both left me cold)
    ...Blecch Orchid's problem was that it was trying to be "Swamp Thing for Girls", as one or two critics put it. while Kid Eternity had the misfortune of having Ann Nocenti as the hack assigned to the book, who proceeded to take an excellent 4-issue mini by Grant Morrison and turn it into the worst drek Vertigo has to date admitted they actually published.

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    I enjoyed Kid Eternity at the time. That said, I was 15 when it came out, so it might read as well to me as most grunge sounds to me now.
    ...You probably didn't buy the mini, then. Those who bought the mini usually *despised* the series as much as I did, while those who bought the series but couldn't afford the mini usually don't know how ripped off they were.
    -------

I haven't read it since the initial publication, either. To be fair, my problem may have just been that it wasn't being written by Grant Morrison and it was suffering by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...Blecch Orchid's problem was that it was trying to be "Swamp Thing for Girls", as one or two critics put it. while Kid Eternity had the misfortune of having Ann Nocenti as the hack assigned to the book, who proceeded to take an excellent 4-issue mini by Grant Morrison and turn it into the worst drek Vertigo has to date admitted they actually published.
    Gaiman gave an interview a few years ago where he talked about a writer during the early Vertigo days who admitted they only spent a day writing any comic because the money wasn't worth spending more time or effort doing. Gaiman was spending weeks writing his Sandman scripts and this writer thought he was being foolish. He never actually said who the writer was, but at one point he said "she" and mentioned that (at the time) this person was no longer in the industry. Hmm, female Vertigo writer who didn't spend a lot of time on her work and had left the industry. Who could he have been referring to...?

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...You probably didn't buy the mini, then. Those who bought the mini usually *despised* the series as much as I did, while those who bought the series but couldn't afford the mini usually don't know how ripped off they were.
    I'd got the first issue of the mini at that point, but didn't get round to buying the rest until I wasn't a virgin any more.

Which is why last week was a double special week for me

Banned

Was Vertigo's Kid Eternity the same one as Captain Marvel Jr's half brother in DC?

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Was Vertigo's Kid Eternity the same one as Captain Marvel Jr's half brother in DC?
    Errr... pass. Don't know who Captain Marvel Jr's half brother is, although I hope he doesn't use his tenuous connection to Captain Marvel to try and make himself sound more important to his peers.