Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Like Tree1682Likes

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Of course they're the most important thing for a company whose purpose is to sell comics.
    I doubt it is true what you say
    Their aim is to create/push intellectual properties for movies not to sell a few dead trees.

This is also why vertigo is now fully dead I think.
    Image has the better contract options for known creators.
    Yes, some may still publish with Vertigo, but they will make sure it is nothing they want to exploit further as DC limits their rights.
    (Example Wood with Northlanders)
    DarthEwok likes this.

Captain Cool

Surely if these big name creators had a pitch it would have been listened to. Especially with DC and Vertigo ties already, like Mr. Cornell.
    Cornell only entered comics a couple years ago, and he does a ton of work outside of comics. In fact, he left Demon Knights out of exhaustion. Similarly, Gillen is Marvel exclusive and would have had to wait at least a few years before getting around to it. Then you have Warren Ellis who already did write for the book.

It's fine to be a fan and defend DC, but this bending backwards straw grasping is just ridiculous.
    Mike H. likes this.

Next I want to see Arse Face in the regular DC universe - fighting crime on a super team

(actually, that might be awesome)
    Mike H. and jyork like this.

Vacation Village, San Diego, January 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Strong View Post
    Cornell only entered comics a couple years ago, and he does a ton of work outside of comics. In fact, he left Demon Knights out of exhaustion. Similarly, Gillen is Marvel exclusive and would have had to wait at least a few years before getting around to it. Then you have Warren Ellis who already did write for the book.

It's fine to be a fan and defend DC, but this bending backwards straw grasping is just ridiculous.
    Not to nitpick, but Cornell's actually been writing comics (on and off) for close to twenty years. He used to write for Judge Dredd Megazine among others. But it is only these past few years that he's been a regular writer for US books.
    Mike H., thekeith82 and SAMURAI36 like this.

Bleeding Cool

Of course they're the most important thing for a company whose purpose is to sell comics.
    No need to repeat my post. I was typing it with specifically your voice in mind...

It's kind of like politicians. They will say anything, and promise anything, no matter how much they lie or deceive, as long as they get your vote. Admiral qualities and certainly benefiting companies that are out to take your money--.....I mean, turn a profit.

But, as long as the select few (politicians) are happy, then it really doesn't matter what they do to the country. As long as they win. Right Joe?
    Last edited by Pop-Tart Samson; 11-10-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Mike H. likes this.

Yeah Milligan has been in themidst of a very well received run, I highly doubt they were even accepting pitches for the on-going at that time. Because as you said, a few of those guys (Si Spurrier, Jock) have done minis and GNs with John in the meantime. But I guess to them it's not the actual series that has had a murderer's row of talent through out it's history.
    Mike H. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop-Tart Samson View Post
    No need to repeat my post. I was typing it with specifically your voice in mind...

It's kind of like politicians. They will say anything, and promise anything, no matter how much they lie or deceive, as long as they get your vote. Admiral qualities and certainly benefiting companies that are out to take your money--.....I mean, turn a profit.

But, as long as the select few (politicians) are happy, then it really doesn't matter what they do to the country. As long as they win. Right Joe?
    Mmmm... I think most writers/artists/editors who came up through the ranks want to produce quality material, even if they also know all about the bottom line. If all they care about is money, advertising and real novels/TV scripts generally pay better...

Then again, this seems so blatantly geared towards chasing $$$ that I think that's part of why it's so, so... so whatever it is, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by jyork View Post
    Yeah Milligan has been in themidst of a very well received run, I highly doubt they were even accepting pitches for the on-going at that time. Because as you said, a few of those guys (Si Spurrier, Jock) have done minis and GNs with John in the meantime. But I guess to them it's not the actual series that has had a murderer's row of talent through out it's history.
    Curious and lazy, anyone know offhand which issues/trades on Hellblazer were by Spurrier? My wallet sense is tingling...

Cheers
    Mike H. and Pop-Tart Samson like this.

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

To DiDio, Harras, Johns, and Lee with love:

Vacation Village, San Diego, January 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Curious and lazy, anyone know offhand which issues/trades on Hellblazer were by Spurrier? My wallet sense is tingling...
    According to the man himself, he hasn't actually done any Hellblazer, but he did do a pisstake in his Bec and Kawl strip (presumably in 2000AD).

Your wallet can rest easy for tonight.
    Peter J Poole likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    Not to nitpick, but Cornell's actually been writing comics (on and off) for close to twenty years. He used to write for Judge Dredd Megazine among others. But it is only these past few years that he's been a regular writer for US books.

comicbookdb.com absolutely rules for looking up stuff like this

Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast