Page 4 of 137 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Zen Master of Cool

Don't be surprised if in the next few years, the Vertigo imprint is discontinued.
    Oh come on! You're going to kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!?
    - Dr. Venture, Past Tense, The Venture Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Skaggs View Post
    Respectfully, you were informed of this back in April of 2011...

It's Time to Reboot HELLBLAZER's John Constantine
    But I wanna jerk my knee :-[

Exceedingly Cool

The problem isn't the new Constantine series...it's that Hellblazer wasn't just a Vertigo title, but it was pretty much THE Vertigo title. Now, there is no essence of the the original meaning of the Vertigo imprint. It wasn't just a place for creator-owned material, but the mature, dark corner of the DCU - which this 'The Dark' line is trying to be, Vertigo-lite. From what we've seen of the New 52 John Constantine thus far, he's nothing like his original DC/Vertigo counterpart in terms of his past, which isn't exactly a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xdemon View Post
    Don't be surprised if in the next few years, the Vertigo imprint is discontinued.
    Serouisly the only book thats gotten any attention has been american vampire

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    The problem isn't the new Constantine series...it's that Hellblazer wasn't just a Vertigo title, but it was pretty much THE Vertigo title. Now, there is no essence of the the original meaning of the Vertigo imprint. It wasn't just a place for creator-owned material, but the mature, dark corner of the DCU - which this 'The Dark' line is trying to be, Vertigo-lite. From what we've seen of the New 52 John Constantine thus far, he's nothing like his original DC/Vertigo counterpart in terms of his past, which isn't exactly a good thing.
    Selling only 9k a month thats not good for vertigo

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

Honestly, I wish good luck to the guy who will write the Constantine title at the New 52 - with all this editorial bullshit, I fear for him.
    I have nothing against the New 52 version of Constantine, but Hellblazer IS a different 'beast' with different possibilities - I'm a big fan, that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SnarkMachine View Post
    Once again, DC is making it easier and easier for me to drop titles and move over to the competition.

Yet another brilliant move by the braintrust at the Distinguished Competitor...
    Since this book will at least double the sales of the Vertigo title I'd say it is pretty brilliant, yes.

As for you, who cares about you? Nobody.

downlikecharlie

It only sold about 9k-10k in September, so this isn't incredibly surprising. If everyone who's complaining now actually bought the book then it wouldn't have been cancelled.

I lost all interest in the New 52 Constantine about eight issues in of JLD, and I kind of hate how most of the New 52 seems to be relying so much on the Justice League brand. This is great for fans of Johns' JL and I understand the sales value, but for me as part of the minority, I'm moving farther away from DC with every new series announced.

Now I know how Bendis-haters felt eight years ago.
    Last edited by downlikecharlie; 11-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog View Post
    Honestly, I wish good luck to the guy who will write the Constantine title at the New 52 - with all this editorial bullshit, I fear for him.
    I have nothing against the New 52 version of Constantine, but Hellblazer IS a different 'beast' with different possibilities - I'm a big fan, that's sad.

I'm sure that some people will say this change is justifiable - oh well...
    9K SALES will do it plus they already said it would be canned last year

Dean of Cool University

I haven't read Hellblazer in the last few years. I've always found Milligan's writing to be.... tolerable at best

I will be sad to see this title gone, but if the sales are not there, what really can you do.

I'd love to call bullshit on this one but if the book was selling that low, I'm guessing it was only a matter of time

On the other hand.... Don't normal Vertigo titles sell in that range or lower regardless? (with maybe the exception of Fables)

Page 4 of 137 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast