Page 38 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Banned

[
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! The industry isn't successful because of a statement made by an anonymous person on the Internet. HA HA HA HA

What power these Internet people have
    Glad you found that was funny, especially since you misinterpreted my statement. Nonetheless, I think it's funny that "internet people" like to prop themselves up as the lion's share of the comics fan base.

Besides, it's not about the statements themselves, but the mentality behind it. And the mentality of the fans overall. If you can't see the contradictory nature of all of this, then best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    Sam

Mike H. posted 'Most people don't interact with their entertainment on a purely intellectual level.' to you.

I posted 'You do realize you're pointing that out to a (fill in the blank) that thinks the exact same creators suck when they aren't doing a book with DC on the cover, right?' to him.

Pointing out that people don't interact with their entertainment on a purely intellectual level about a guy who doesn't like anything without a DC on it PROVES the point.
    I know exactly what you said. I can read, you know. However, repeating it a second time makes you same more silly than you sounded the first time.

And, as I said, apples and oranges.

Because I simply prefer DC moreso than anything else (you continue to miss the part where I have repeatedly say that I do read some indy stuff, btw.... But feel free to carry on, wallowing in your own stupidity), doesn't mean that I can approach what I like on an intellectual level.

So, approaching it intellectually, means I have to like any and every single comic that gets published?

To think such, is the epitome of absurdity. But, we all know that's your domain. So feel free to reign undisturbed.

Banned

Perhaps this should shine some light on things.... Unlike most people here on BC, I prefer to get things straight from the horse's mouth, rather than from it's ass.

Newsarama.com : DC VPs on October Sales, Vertigo & DC Characters

Nrama: I'd be remiss not to mention something that a lot of people are talking about right now, and that's the end of Hellblazer. Obviously, Hellblazer and Justice League Dark co-existed for 14 months now. From a sales perspective can you give readers insight into why such a long-running title is being cancelled outright as opposed to say alternatively, Dark, Hellblazer and a Constantine title co-existing if the market would support them?

Cunningham: Well, I don't think it's quite rational to assume that the sales level of a current book would maintain if you created a second title in a different series of book. It would be great in the abstract if you could say, "Well, we can maintain a book here at this level while launching another one." But I don't think that's realistic in any way.

Nrama: So the key, from a sales standpoint, then, was "one at a time." And the more enticing one, for sales, would be in the DCU?

Cunningham: I think we've been very pleased with the reaction both critically and from fans and sales-wise with how we've used John Constantine in the DCU. And that series, as venerable as it was, has played a long time in Vertigo. And when you see more fertile, creative ground, you tend to move toward it.

Nrama: Is it accurate this perception that most of the "Dark" characters and concepts are on a one-way road back to the former DCU? That's what people are perceiving? Do you think that's accurate, that you're "moving" them over and that they're no longer Vertigo characters?

Cunningham: No, I think that people are looking at one-off decisions that are made creatively and trying to provide an overarching rubric that doesn't exist to it, which is why a lot of that delves into what I would call speculative fiction almost.

It's a business. We run it as a business. We look at titles and properties on an individual basis. I leave it to the rest of the world to come up with the overarching conspiracy theories of it all.

Nrama: Is it possible in the future we’ll see former DC characters get Mature Readers/Vertigo treatment?

Cunningham: Yeah, anything's possible. I haven't been involved and don't know of any discussions of such.

Nrama: Then since we're talking speculation, that leads to the obvious question, and we’re going to ask it outright — a Sandman/Death/the Endless New 52/DCU title seems like an obvious sales opportunity. You guys already started flirting with it a couple years back. After Gaiman’s upcoming last Sandman hurrah at Vertigo, are we going to see those characters back in the DCU? Would they work in the DCU?

Cunningham: That's a bizarrely speculative question. I don't really understand it.

You could ask that about anything. "Would a book about a mature Daffy Duck work in the DCU?" I don't know.

We don't have any plans to do that. And we've been very clear about what our plans with Sandman are for the longest time now, so people can speculate about whatever they want to. Nobody can stop them from doing that. But we've been very clear that Sandman is a Vertigo property, it remains a Vertigo property. We announced the return of Sandman as a Vertigo property. I don't think we could be any more clear about this.

Nrama: So if your boss came to you and asked you, "Can you give me a reason why it would not be a good idea for DC," what would you say?

Cunningham: I don't know. What a heck of a question. I guess I'm going to respond to that by saying that framework is weird. I'm not going to tell you what I would I would tell my boss.

Wayne: It's a lot more expensive use of our time than interviews.

It's amazing to me that I and a few others here, arrived at precisely the same conclusion prior to even reading this, while everyone else felt content to wade in the waters of speculation.

But, C'est La Vie.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    So, approaching it intellectually, means I have to like any and every single comic that gets published?
    WOW! I explained it and you still can't figure out simple english. For the truly comprehension impaired, there was no 'comparison' involved. Your DC only almost stance is not motivated by anything resembling an 'intellectual' choice, it's an obsessive thing. Clearly, anyone operating 'intellectually' would base their choices on their taste, not mostly the brand on a cover. I wasn't even insulting you, just found it amusing to have something that you live by having been pointed out to you. Sort of like telling the Pope that he's Catholic.
    Last edited by QCCBob; 11-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    If you'd like to see my store, a faux movie trailer was shot there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E23B...eature=related

PROUD WINNER OF THE 2012 and 2014 Best of Cincinnati Comic Shop Award from Citybeat Cincinnati.

Cunningham: Well, I don't think it's quite rational to assume that the sales level of a current book would maintain if you created a second title in a different series of book. It would be great in the abstract if you could say, "Well, we can maintain a book here at this level while launching another one." But I don't think that's realistic in any way.
    That ain't coming from the horse's MOUTH... We've got multiple titles in multiple formats all over the place. Clearly Earth One GNs would kill the market for Bats and Supes, right? No way the market can support a GLtAS comic without killing the regular ones. That's the dumbest thing I've read quoted from a non-Marvel exec EVER.
    Last edited by QCCBob; 11-09-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    If you'd like to see my store, a faux movie trailer was shot there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E23B...eature=related

PROUD WINNER OF THE 2012 and 2014 Best of Cincinnati Comic Shop Award from Citybeat Cincinnati.

Banned

Lol. If Cunningham thinks the regular DC universe is a more fertile ground than Vertigo has been, then he really is clueless

It's a business. We run it as a business. We look at titles and properties on an individual basis. I leave it to the rest of the world to come up with the overarching conspiracy theories of it all.

Good to see that it's not just Joe Q and the Marvel crew that have contempt for their own fans

Quote Originally Posted by jyork View Post
    I wish they could continue Vertigo Constantine in the mini-series format. The last Constantine story I read was Hellblazer: City of Demons by Sean Murphy and Si Spurrier, due to not wanting to jump on in the middle of Milligan's run (though I did pick up the two issue arc Bisley drew a few years back featuring the corpse of Sid Vicious). It was great, still want to check out Pandemonium and Dark Entries. I have about 20 issues of Ennis and Dillon's run I picked up cheap, but I don't have the opening arc so I've waited on starting it. Would I be thrown off without that first arc? I don't think Dillon drew it.
    The current arc wraps up this month. But if you want to get on the HELLBLAZER bandwagon for the finale, I'd suggest starting with 293, the first part of the (spectacular) current arc.

Ennis' run is one long story broken out in to individual issues or mini-arcs.

Dillon's first issue as regular artist is #62, which is a brilliant done in one.
    #63 is the first Vertigo issue and it's a done in one.

With #64, a new arc kicks in and then it's pretty much one story until the end of their run – #83.

If you want the gist of what Ennis was doing with Constantine, then I'd suggest picking up HELLBLAZER #50 and #62. Those two issues are Ennis' take on ol' Johnny in microcosm.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    WOW! I explained it and you still can't figure out simple english. For the truly comprehension impaired, there was no 'comparison' involved. Your DC only almost stance is not motivated by anything resembling an 'intellectual' choice, it's an obsessive thing. Clearly, anyone operating 'intellectually' would base their choices on their taste, not mostly the brand on a cover. I wasn't even insulting you, just found it amusing to have something that you live by having been pointed out to you. Sort of like telling the Pope that he's Catholic.
    You sound more and more retarded, every time you click "reply". First, it's DC only. Now it's "almost DC". Which is it? By your "logic" (we all know that you have none), I shouldn't like Ghostbusters, Voltron, GI Joe, and Transformers. They are put out by different publishers, and last I checked, NONE Of them have DC on the cover.

I've said numerous times how much I like Black Panther. I've been to see every comic book movie to date.... You know, movies like Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, etc....?

God, I hope your stupidity isn't contagious, or else we're all in trouble.

That ain't coming from the horse's MOUTH... We've got multiple titles in multiple formats all over the place. Clearly Earth One GNs would kill the market for Bats and Supes, right? No way the market can support a GLtAS comic without killing the regular ones. That's the dumbest thing I've read quoted from a non-Marvel exec EVER.
    Yeah, because GLTAS is doing soooo well. And what does Earth One GN's that are clearly marketed as such, have to do with monthly ongoings????

Banned

Lol. If Cunningham thinks the regular DC universe is a more fertile ground than Vertigo has been, then he really is clueless
    Name a Vertigo title that's been on the top 20 since the start of the New 52, or a year prior. I could be wrong (and will admit if I am), but I'm betting you can't. If so, then Cunningham (you know, the guy that actually looks at the numbers, month-in and month-out?) isn't the one that's clueless, you are.

Good to see that it's not just Joe Q and the Marvel crew that have contempt for their own fans
    I can't speak for Marvel, but this just shows me that he has contempt for stupidity. Can't say I blame him. As this thread demonstrates, fans say and do some of the dumbest things, and don't expect to be held accountable for it.

I can only imagine their (DC's) level of frustration.

Banned

Name a Vertigo title that's been on the top 20 since the start of the New 52, or a year prior. I could be wrong (and will admit if I am), but I'm betting you can't. If so, then Cunningham (you know, the guy that actually looks at the numbers, month-in and month-out?) isn't the one that's clueless, you are.
    I'm not sure what you're arguing here. But if you are trying to equate 'fertile' with high sales, then you misread the very article that you yourself posted. He was taking about fertile creative ground, as was I

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. But if you are trying to equate 'fertile' with high sales, then you misread the very article that you yourself posted. He was taking about fertile creative ground, as was I
    Don't you know that sales = quality? That's why everyone holds the earliest issues of Youngblood in such high regard.

AND THEY ALWAYS WILL.

Page 38 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast