Page 35 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Strong View Post
    Yeah the main downfall of the New 52 has been the Young Justice line. I'm going to blame the recruitment of Liefeld, Defalco, Mackie, Lobdell, etc. on Harras. Having said that though, I think Lobdell doesn't deserve to be lumped with all of them. Superman is surprisingly better than ever now.
    Totally 100% agree. Most of the other "lines" of book have had some hits and misses, but the Young Justice line has been a mess from start to the present, stem to stern. I can't think of a single YJ book that I've fully enjoyed, and I've seen no signs of it getting better any time soon. And while Lobdell has been doing good things with Superman, his Teen Titans work has been profoundly disappointing. Someone, anyone needs to come into those books and give them a vision and direction. I'd elect Bryan Q. Miller, but I get more and more depressed every time I remember DC seems eager to keep him away from New 52.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    Has DC perhaps cancelled Vertigo Hellblazer because, while John used to be interesting, he now just seems to keep on repeating the same old things, over and over again?
    How? The character ages in roughly real time. He's been married for the past two years, after a roller-coaster courtship, which is a definite change for the character. Yes, writers have told flashback tales here and there (especially Milligan, but usually he's working with Simon Bisley and telling tales of John's punk rock days, which always seem to go over well with the readers), and there are stories told with long-established plot elements from the early years of the book's run (the current storyline involving John's search for a nephew his now-deceased sister never told him about springs to mind). But whenever old plot elements are brought into play the writer is usually building on what came before, not repeating it.

Do you have any examples of what you're talking about? Perhaps I'm missing something.

Cooler Than The Other Side of the Pillow kingslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karmakaze View Post
    Maybe it's the same suits that talked Metalica into cutting their hair, putting on eye liner and softening thier sound for the Load album in the 90's. Because that's what trading Hellblazer for Constantine sounds like to me. And what does it say about a person if the only Metallica album they own is Load? What was that "P" word again?
    Actually, the softening of their sound happened five years prior to Load on the black album. They abandoned the 8 minute epics played at a blistering pace and filled with intricate guitar solos in favour of 4-5 minute, more accesible songs that were basically hard rock not metal.

I would expect a real fan to know that!
    "Because shut up." ~ Sterling Archer

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCheese View Post
    I'm a little surprised over the amount of sturm and drang about a title that's selling under ten thousand copies a month.
    Almost thirty pages in day?
    Wow, dudes, just wow.
    Exemplifies the tendencies of a small but vocal fanbases.
    I love what I love. And Hellblazer just happens to fall into the category. I've been reading it since #1. To learn that the book is being cancelled after 25 years... well... it hurts.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    I love what I love. And Hellblazer just happens to fall into the category. I've been reading it since #1. To learn that the book is being cancelled after 25 years... well... it hurts.
    That sounds like the body-blow I felt in 1989 when my local PBS station threw up "END OF SERIES" on the screen right before Sylvester McCoy's "Survival" episode of DOCTOR WHO started. I nearly sneezed blood.

Hopefully, one day, someone will come along and rebirth Hellblazer again as it should be. Until then, the land of corporate mediocrity reigns supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by One of the DC Zombies
    MEDIOCRITY?!?! CORPORATE?!?! OF?!?! BLAH! BLAH! OPINIONS! RANTING! HYPOCRISY! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! MINE NOW! YOU NOTHING! BLAH! FISCAL QUARTER! BLAH! DC RULEZ!! BLAH! BLAH! NONSENSE!! BLAH! BLAH! TEARS!!!!
    Save it.
    Traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythebeetle View Post
    That's actually a weird thing to say in response to my post, since I was advocating keeping the Vertigo version alongside the New52 version... which would be more exposure. If you mean my comment on the expansion of the Dark line to encompass nearly twenty-five percent of the New52, well, for the sake of argument: More exposure isn't always positive exposure. Ask Britney Spears. What if Venditti produces a really shitty Constantine book? I'm not saying he will, I don't know his writing. But the concept that any exposure is good exposure is just silly.

Despite the arguments I made for why a New 52 Constantine is perfectly acceptable, it is silly to argue that that character is the same thing the Vertigo version has come to represent, or that you can tell the same stories with him.
    Yep, yep and yep. If DC was really interested in upping Hellblazer's sales, they could have found a way to promote the series and/or create what they felt might be a jumping-on point for new readers. Hmmm, what could they have possibly promoted...?

Oh! It just so happens the book is approaching a landmark 300th issue! That's something to celebrate!

Or at least it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    My guess is dc is planning a new Constantine movie and don't really need too much adult stuff in the movies.
    That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... it might even turn out to be true, but it makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by thekeith82 View Post
    The DM is on the way out anyway. It's horribly depressing, but as the digital market grows, it's not going to be worth them keeping printing and distributing floppies if that's a cost they can cut. There'll still be money in physical trade sales, but between Amazon and mainstream book shops there won't be enough money around to keep the stores around. Not as we know them, anyway. There will be a few that can diversify enough to keep going, but the next 5-10 years is evolve or die.
    To a large extent, I agree. But I thought that 12-18 months ago too. Staggering from event to event seems to work. Dammit.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    it doesn't matter if it pleases the fans of Hellblazer. It just has to sell more than it did. Whether or not it's creatively fulfilling is not the issue we're discussing. We're discussing if it's a horrible move or not. And if it doubles or triples sales, it's not.
    In the short run, and on a purely monetary level, it's not. In the long run I personally don't foresee the same sustained level of success, attraction to innovative creators, or acclaim. Sure, I could always be wrong, but at the moment I'll be surprised if "Constantine" hits 50 issues. Just a gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    In the short run, and on a purely monetary level, it's not. In the long run I personally don't foresee the same sustained level of success, attraction to innovative creators, or acclaim. Sure, I could always be wrong, but at the moment I'll be surprised if "Constantine" hits 50 issues. Just a gut feeling.
    i hope the series is good, i really do but even if it is like many other books it'll probably be cancelled in two years regardless of anything. I just hope the ride is good.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    To a large extent, I agree. But I thought that 12-18 months ago too. Staggering from event to event seems to work. Dammit.

Cheers
    Depends on your definition of "work". Sales are up a bit, I'll give you that, but the real potential growth is undoubtedly gonna be in digital. As long as they are pricing digital like print in order to avoid undercutting physical sales, that growth isn't going to take off. No kid wants to pay four pucks for a 20 page PDF when they can get a couple of games on their device for the same price. There's going to have to come a point where one of the corporate overlords (DRINK) asks why they're spending money on production and distribution to support a market that's holding them back. In the words of Elvis, something has to be done.