Page 26 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree1789Likes

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    he's just using better language.
    Worse language.

A world without cunt is no world at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    Some of the people on this thread already admitted to not reading either HELLBLAZER or JL DARK. They're irked because a book they have either a passing interest in or no interest at all is being cancelled. It's ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous at all, HBR.
    If this is done to HB, what is stopping it being done to Fables, the unwritten, etc or andsoon?

this
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythebeetle View Post
    The whole argument of what's better and what isn't is ridiculous.

Constantine has been an awesome character in the New 52. And he was introduced as a character who could interact with the DCU at large. Moore planned an entire super-hero crossover around the guy, for christ's sake.

Vertigo Constantine is practically an institution. He is unique in that he has aged in, more or less, real time. He's unique in that he's one of those eighties horror properties that has stayed relevant and edgy. While there have been terrible Hellblazer stories, if I had to pick between Constantine and Sandman, personally, I would take John any day. As great as the lord of dreams is, he's a bit, eh, what do you say... mopey, overwrought, and overblown. Hellblazer at its best has quietly explored much more relevant territory- again, just in my opinion. What isn't opinion is that the character in this incarnation is important, if not to some individual fans, in the landscape of these fictional territories we all love in one way or another.

But there's room for both. Ennis' Punisher MAX (for the most part) is a perfect book... that aged Frank in real time... and addressed adult, real world concerns. Not unlike Hellblazer. While that was running, Matt Fraction brought Frank back to the more age appropriate Marvel Universe. They both worked.

What I get out of the adventures of the John who runs around being a mild fuck-up in Justice League Dark is completely different from what I get out of the edgy, aging, cradle-robbing Constantine in the Vertigo line. If they want to reinvigorate the Vertigo version there are plenty of ways to do that. Shutting the title down just to cement him as a New 52 only character seems like a silly, unnecessary development.

Aside from the controversial nature of this issue, I am getting a bit put off by the expansion of the Dark line of titles. Granted, they put out some of the best titles of the New 52, but it just seems to negate some of the notion that they're about the creepy, dark underbelly of the DCU when they represent nearly a quarter of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Being emotionally invested is one thing, wanting to drop every book from a company that published 25 years worth of a comic you apparently loved is insanity.
    Joe, as stated before, if people believe that series that appeared to be absolutely, perfectly, fine, can get canned ... well ... then they probably believe that any of their other favourite ongoings could get the boot. I'd rather jump off at a convenient point from everything (like I have, by the way) than carry on paying over the odds for content that shrinks, or is not what I signed up for in the first place.

It's about as emotional and at the same time coldly logical as it gets, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    What principle is in play in dropping books you enjoy because another you enjoyed was cancelled?
    That if you disagree with a company strongly enough you vote with your wallet, even if that means foregoing something you enjoy.

If you disagree with it in this instance/just don't get it as a way to behave in general, fair enough. But I think it explains why some people would say/do it.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 11-09-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Wrote the Book on Cool

If I quit after issue #300, it's not just DC, it's the whole hobby, the weekly trip and buying floppies. I'll probably still buy collections from Dave Cooper, Jim Woodring and a few others, but it would be like a nice way out after 20 years of intense collecting. That'd also give me time to start re-reading a lot of cool books, that'd take me a good ten years at least anyways.
    Again, I'm not angry at DC, it's probably a business decision, and apart from Milligan, Cammuncoli & crew, no one will really lose anything from this. Maybe just a small piece of their soul on DC's part, but it's a company, not a person, so who cares...
    Not angry, just disenchanted, a little sad, and strangely enough, maybe a little relieved, but I'll know for sure in a few months.
    And as pointed out before, this whole feeling might just fade away
    Mike H. and Hi_HorseLarnick like this.
    helterskelterfm.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    The core problem seems to be that people think they're going to get a different - neutered/watered down - character, even if he has the same name and background.
    Yeah, that's just about it in a nutshell, except (as you probably wouldn't have gathered because you don't read JLD) his background's also been neutered/watered down. As I mentioned before, I didn't mind this when there were two separate John Constantines being published, but I'm not really thrilled about the Nu52 version being the future of the character.

Then again, his back story might end up being fleshed out to make him a slightly different but equally compelling character. I suppose only time will tell.
    Mike H. and adgy like this.

That if you disagree with a company strongly enough you vote with your wallet, even if that means foregoing something you enjoy.

If you disagree with it in this instance/just don't get it as a way to behave in general, fair enough. But I think it explains why some people would say/do it.

Cheers
    I don't totally disagree, but a few more people maybe should have voted with their wallets and bought the damn book then.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    I don't totally disagree, but a few more people maybe should have voted with their wallets and bought the damn book then.
    From what I understand the TPBs are where DC made their money with Hellblazer. How many times have Original Sins and Dangerous Habits alone been reprinted? I guess it just finally reached a point where the TPB sales figures could no longer justify the publication of the monthly comic.
    Hi_HorseLarnick likes this.

Cheers
    But comic books get cancelled all the day, especially incredibly low-selling ones. Is "they stopped publishing a book that I was basically the only one reading" really a principle to stand up for? Especially when there are a number of other titles said person is already enjoying from the company?

I suspect if it was somebody dropping Marvel because Amazing Spider-Man is getting cancelled you'd have a different response. And that book isn't even suffering in sales.