Page 18 of 136 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree1779Likes

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfist View Post
    they announced tuition fees would triple too and before and after it was done people where pissed, warning people beforehand doesn't soften the blow
    No, but if you thought about it would know how to counter act it. .. I can understand being dissapointed but being shocked or angry just doesnt make sense. If your a fan of the charcter you should be happy he will be in limelight now.

Quote Originally Posted by Amergin View Post
    I'm thinking Vertigo is taking the fall for Nu 52's weaknesses. Sad, but I saw it coming when Swamp Thing went back on the DC imprint. As it was, Hellblazer was so big that I stopped at the Delano trades.
    Snyder's SWAMP THING series has been phenomenal.

This is the strongest SWAMP THING series since the the second volume.

Berger tried to bring Swampy back under Vertigo and both of those series were abysmal.

Better Alec and Abby and Arcane thrive under DCE than wither under Vertigo.

Aside: I'm really irked that there has been no sign of my beloved Tefé in the DCnU.
    Last edited by HellBlazerRaiser; 11-08-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    SAMURAI36 likes this.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Me thinks that speaks more about the type of entertainment that they are indulged in, than (or just) about the people themselves.
    So you never get emotionally caught up in a book, a TV show, a movie, a piece of music, a particular band, a particular player or group of players on a sports team, a sports game in general, etc.?

Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Because, when you have people who are saying that something is wrong with others for their tastes, then you deserved to be taken to task about it.

Besides, I prefer to look at this on a much more wholistic level; when people rant, without discussing or considering facts (i.e.: DC cancelled the book because it wasn't selling well), then it makes all of us as comics fans look bad.

Taking a more mature, rational approach to comics can only help the industry overall, rather than hurt it.
    Referring to people as idiots and tearing them down simply because they're angry that a book they enjoyed has been cancelled is "a more mature, rational approach to comics"? Sorry, I'm having a difficult time seeing anything other than a mirror image. To each their own.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Sorry you don't believe it, but that doesn't stop it from being true. And why should I ask my LCS how a particular book is doing? I've requested it, they order it, I buy it. Even if I did ask them about how it was selling otherwise, I learned a long time ago that monthly comic book sales don't always tell the whole story. Some monthly books apparently sell horribly in that format but do quite well as TPBs. Wasn't that the reason the monthly book of the character's last incarnation was briefly resurrected? At least that's what I remember hearing, which brings me to my final point: I didn't say I was completely ignorant of sales. I said that I don't make a practice of going out of my way to keep track of their rising and falling.
    I gotta say, I agree with Cavemold here. It's up to the consumer to be as informed about the product they buy as they possibly can. People come up to us at my store and ask us Q's all the time. The last place you should get the 411 on your fave books, is on a rumor site.

Captain Cool

I'm thinking Vertigo is taking the fall for Nu 52's weaknesses. Sad, but I saw it coming when Swamp Thing went back on the DC imprint. As it was, Hellblazer was so big that I stopped at the Delano trades.
    Like said earlier, you need to get the Ennis run.

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post

Berger tried to bring Swampy back under Vertigo and both of those series were abysmal.

Sure, but Snyder's run in particular has been okay at best. The main strength I think is that thee love story at the core of it, but the Rot has just become annoying and tiresome. A year into the book and it's become this zombie action book. Now that Snyder will be writing Man of Steel and a Vertigo (in addition to Batman) I'm hoping he'll give the book to a better writer.
    Mad_Man_Moon and Mike H. like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    So you never get emotionally caught up in a book, a TV show, a movie, a piece of music, a particular band, a particular player or group of players on a sports team, a sports game in general, etc.?

Okay.
    Of course, but that doesn't mean that I don't approach my interest in any of the above intellectually. I can tell you precisely why I like the Green Bay Packers over the Chicago Bears (even though I live in Chi), The Chicago Bulls over the NY Knicks (even though I'm from NY), Football over Soccer (even though I'm Jamaican), Mavado over Vybz Kartel, Wu-Tang Clan over Lil Wayne, DC over Marvel, etc, etc.

Being passionate about something should not negate being intelligent about it.

Referring to people as idiots and tearing them down simply because they're angry that a book they enjoyed has been cancelled is "a more mature, rational approach to comics"? Sorry, I'm having a difficult time seeing anything other than a mirror image. To each their own.
    You're minimizing what my perspective as been here. That's not even close to why I've called people "idiots". I would implore you to re-read what I'd stated previously.

Aside: I'm really irked that there has been no sign of my beloved Tefé in the DCnU.
    Not bagging it, just saying. Sandman, Swampy ,and John were the faces of the brand. Take those 3 away, and who's left to carry it? I want DC to do well, I'm a DC geek to the bone, but Vertigo made me feel like I didn't have to wade through 50 years of backstory to enjoy a book. I also dug the occult flavor the stories had, the counterculture vibe it had. I may be hipsterish in that way, but that's what sucked me in.
    Mike H. likes this.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

VP in Charge of Cool

John Constantine first appeared and spent his first year+ of stories in a PG-13 comic book.

So, if you're not a poser, you should want Constantine to be in a PG-13 series.
    ...said the guy who says he a fan of Hellblazer but is happy to see it cancelled. Do you actually look forward to a more family friendly Constantine? For a guy who is so proud to be a Hellblazer fan, you seem surprizingly okay with John's neutering.

Not bagging it, just saying. Sandman, Swampy ,and John were the faces of the brand. Take those 3 away, and who's left to carry it? I want DC to do well, I'm a DC geek to the bone, but Vertigo made me feel like I didn't have to wade through 50 years of backstory to enjoy a book. I also dug the occult flavor the stories had, the counterculture vibe it had. I may be hipsterish in that way, but that's what sucked me in.
    Brands change. The faces of the brand change.

From its birth to the mid 90s, Vertigo was SWAMP THING, HELLBLAZER and SANDMAN.

Vertigo in the late 90s was all about PREACHER with a twist of THE INVISIBLES.

Vertigo in the early to mid 00s was 100 BULLETS and Y: THE LAST MAN.

Vertigo from the late mid 00s to the present is FABLES and AMERICAN VAMPIRE.

The faces of the brand change or the brand goes stale.
    Last edited by HellBlazerRaiser; 11-08-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Way Cool

Nothing to say that hasn't been said already and not surprised really but still sad all the same. I feel like quoting the sales figures is kind of missing the point of why people are upset. This was a book and character that kept me buying comics. Even when I had to stop buying for a while because I couldn't afford to, I still bought Hellblazer. It is a book that despite selling low for years I would buy every month and think somewhere in the back of my sordid brain, 'Somebody gets it.'

Financially naive? Sure. But I love this comic, I love this character and yes, I'm sad to see him neutered. I have recently been buying less and less from Marvel and DC, Image and Dark Horse providing much more intriguing comics each month. It looks like that trend will continue.

As comics have gotten more expensive I've made a conscious effort to step back and ask myself if I even care about a book, if I really don't I drop it. Hellblazer is a book I still care about and I'm sad to see it go.

My two cents, now go ahead and tear me to shreds, assholes.