Page 17 of 136 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree1789Likes

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Amergin View Post
    I'm thinking Vertigo is taking the fall for Nu 52's weaknesses. Sad, but I saw it coming when Swamp Thing went back on the DC imprint. As it was, Hellblazer was so big that I stopped at the Delano trades.
    Stopped with the Delano trades? You havne't even got to the Garth Ennis stuff? You stopped the series before it got really good. I like the first storyline from Hellblazer, but then it gets into that Fear Machine stuff that's really slow. But if you get through that to Ennis's run, the rest is really good. Mike Carey's run is some of the darkest, bleakest material I've ever seen, be it comic, movie, TV show or novel. So of course Mike Carey's run is my favorite of all.
    Mike H., Tom Strong, adgy and 1 others like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amergin View Post
    I'm thinking Vertigo is taking the fall for Nu 52's weaknesses. Sad, but I saw it coming when Swamp Thing went back on the DC imprint. As it was, Hellblazer was so big that I stopped at the Delano trades.
    This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. How is Vertigo taking a fall for the New 52? Business-wise, the latter is successful, the former is not. On this level alone, it makes more financial sense to consolidate all the DC-owned product under the DC umbrella. Let Vertigo be the creator-owned imprint. What's wrong with that?

Bleeding Cool

People whos have been reading the book knew it was coming. They even annouced it last year....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    There are still some stand-outs beyond that. "Dangerous Habits" by Garth Ennis is a terrific self-contained story that's been collected in TPB. Warren Ellis' brief run was collected in two TPBs. One is a serialized storyline and the other is a collection of vicious little "done-in-one-issue" shorter tales.
    I totally wanna catch the Ellis books.
    Mike H. likes this.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    People who's have been reading the book knew it was coming. They even annouced it last year....
    they announced tuition fees would triple too and before and after it was done people where pissed, warning people beforehand doesn't soften the blow
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Wrote the Book on Cool Timber-Munki's Avatar

Shame to see Hellblazer getting cancelled. I'm getting the new trade collections so I should be good for the next few years.

I get the feeling that when Karen Berger moves on DCE are going to quietly fold Vertigo. I just don't see it in their commercial interest to make product that they don't own all the rights of, they can just slap a 'mature readers' advisory notice on the stuff they own outright.

Whilst there may be creators that don't like this approach and walk DCE knows there are still plenty of others that are willing to work in this environment.

I'm not happy about this but I'm really not interested in ascribing this to any 'boys club' theory because ultimately my attachment is always going to be to a good story, I mean whilst I like the contrary bastard, there are always going to be other contrary bastards I can read about, many of them by creators that worked on Hellblazer.

One thing that I do find paradoxical is this whole sea-change in the 'big two' away from the prestige of high numbered titles to this re-numbering fetish. If it's an attempt to reach a younger demographic why maintain the same creators, story styles and concepts? Is there any demographic data to show whether this approach actually works beyond raw sales figures and is there any info about trade, digital & bookshop sales at all? do (or can) they even collect this data in any meaningful sense? or do they rely on the dark arts of market research, anecdotal evidence and hunches?
    Mike H. likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. How is Vertigo taking a fall for the New 52? Business-wise, the latter is successful, the former is not. On this level alone, it makes more financial sense to consolidate all the DC-owned product under the DC umbrella. Let Vertigo be the creator-owned imprint. What's wrong with that?
    And anyone with a creator-owned anything would be better off taking it to Image. So without any DC characters and without being a very good option for creator-owned, what's left for Vertigo to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    I find it hard to believe people who comment on comic book site dont have a clue how thier favorite book is doing.. You dont ask your LCS how a particular low end book is doing? If your follower of the book ,you should have some idea how a book is doing...
    Sorry you don't believe it, but that doesn't stop it from being true. And why should I ask my LCS how a particular book is doing? I've requested it, they order it, I buy it. Even if I did ask them about how it was selling otherwise, I learned a long time ago that monthly comic book sales don't always tell the whole story. Some monthly books apparently sell horribly in that format but do quite well as TPBs. Wasn't that the reason the monthly book of the last incarnation of Manhunter was briefly resurrected? At least that's what I remember hearing, which brings me to my final point: I didn't say I was completely ignorant of sales. I said that I don't make a practice of going out of my way to keep track of their rising or falling. As it stands, I was quite surprised to learn today that Hellblazer was selling less than 10,000 copies an issue. I didn't think it was a blockbuster book, but I wouldn't have pegged sales as being that low either.
    Last edited by Mike H.; 11-09-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: forgot to type "Manhunter" -- how confusing that post must have been without that one word.

Quote Originally Posted by karmakaze View Post
    Buying a PG-13 Constantine comic and calling yourself a fan of John Constantine would be like buying a Green Day album and calling yourself a fan of Punk Rock. All it'll do is let the real fans know you're a poser.
    John Constantine first appeared and spent his first year+ of stories in a PG-13 comic book.

So, if you're not a poser, you should want Constantine to be in a PG-13 series.
    SAMURAI36 likes this.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    Someone's gotta rage against the machine. Gotta nuke something.
    Then rage against something of which you have knowledge, not against the cancellation of comic book series you've never read.
    SAMURAI36 and NinjaMic like this.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser