Page 16 of 137 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Yeah, instead of reacting from the head? The horror, indeed...
    Most people don't interact with their entertainment on a purely intellectual level. What is to be gained from chastising others for not reacting to this news the way you think they should? (Other than the chance to preen and portray yourself as being somehow more enlightened and mature than the people you're gleefully taking to task by doing such things as blanket-labeling them as "idiots", that is.)

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by karmakaze View Post
    Maybe it's the same suits that talked Metalica into cutting their hair, putting on eye liner and softening thier sound for the Load album in the 90's. Because that's what trading Hellblazer for Constantine sounds like to me. And what does it say about a person if the only Metallica album they own is Load? What was that "P" word again?
    I would think it said that they liked that album, and possibly didn't like the others. I would disagree with them, but it would hardly be a unique case of disagreeing with someone else's musical tastes.

Its fine to be dissapointed but to be shocked or angry is just silly.Everyone knew the book was low selling..

Wrote the Book on Cool brian-cs's Avatar

I never read Hellblazer. That said, it's sad for the people who did, even though plainly there hasn't been enough to sustain the title for sometime. Vertigo is an imprint that DC clearly pulling resources from, and well, they aren't wrong. Vertigo's rode on two major successes, Swamp Thing and Sandman, and Hellblazer is the last carryover from those days. Had the market not crashed in 90's, Vertigo might have made a go at sustaining itself. But it doesn't and can't. DC are right to pull its attention to the New 52. That's the line that's carrying them forward and making the remaining Vertigo titles possible. DC were the number 2 seller until last year and they maintained a bunch of seperate imprints that Marvel never could, yet Marvel stayed number one. DC have made a decision that reflects those facts. The old days are done. Buy what you like and walk away from the rest. Let the sales fall will they may.
    Last edited by brian-cs; 11-08-2012 at 06:07 PM.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    I would think it said that they liked that album, and possibly didn't like the others. I would disagree with them, but it would hardly be a unique case of disagreeing with someone else's musical tastes.
    So you're just going to let the person you call your friend keep listenting to the weakest of all Metallica albums? You're not even going to tell him what he's missing? That's not being a very good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    Its fine to be dissapointed but to be shocked or angry is just silly.Everyone knew the book was low selling..
    I said it a few pages ago, but I'll say it again: anger is part of the grieving process. Some people were clearly more emotionally invested in this book than others. Why is being shocked or angry considered a silly reaction instead of what it is -- an honest reaction? Why is it assumed that "everyone" knew the book was low-selling? For the record, I don't keep track of comic sales like they're stocks on Wall Street. I kinda doubt I'm completely alone in that regard. What's wrong with showing a little compassion and understanding while fans of a book that's been running across FOUR DECADES come to terms with the news that it's been cancelled?

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just disappointed with the way some of the people who aren't so emotionally invested in this book are behaving towards the people who are. This thread isn't an example of anyone at their best -- and, yes, that includes myself.

Dean of Cool University Amergin's Avatar

I'm thinking Vertigo is taking the fall for Nu 52's weaknesses. Sad, but I saw it coming when Swamp Thing went back on the DC imprint. As it was, Hellblazer was so big that I stopped at the Delano trades.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they're looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There's a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    I said it a few pages ago, but I'll say it again: anger is part of the grieving process. Some people were clearly more emotionally invested in this book than others. Why is being shocked or angry considered a silly reaction instead of what it is -- an honest reaction? Why is it assumed that "everyone" knew the book was low-selling? For the record, I don't keep track of comic sales like they're stocks on Wall Street. I kinda doubt I'm completely alone in that regard. What's wrong with showing a little compassion and understanding while fans of a book that's been running across FOUR DECADES come to terms with the news that it's been cancelled?

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just disappointed with the way some of the people who aren't so emotionally invested in this book are behaving towards the people who are. This thread isn't an example of anyone at their best -- and, yes, that includes myself.
    I find it hard to believe people who comment on comic book site dont have a clue how thier favorite book is doing.. You dont ask your LCS how a particular low end book is doing? If your follower of the book ,you should have some idea how a book is doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Amergin View Post
    I'm thinking Vertigo is taking the fall for Nu 52's weaknesses. Sad, but I saw it coming when Swamp Thing went back on the DC imprint. As it was, Hellblazer was so big that I stopped at the Delano trades.
    There are still some stand-outs beyond that. "Dangerous Habits" by Garth Ennis is a terrific self-contained story that's been collected in TPB. Warren Ellis' brief run was collected in two TPBs. One is a serialized storyline and the other is a collection of vicious little "done-in-one-issue" shorter tales.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Most people don't interact with their entertainment on a purely intellectual level.
    Me thinks that speaks more about the type of entertainment that they are indulged in, than (or just) about the people themselves.

What is to be gained from chastising others for not reacting to this news the way you think they should? (Other than the chance to preen and portray yourself as being somehow more enlightened and mature than the people you're gleefully taking to task by doing such things as blanket-labeling them as "idiots", that is.)
    Because, when you have people who are saying that something is wrong with others for their tastes, then you deserved to be taken to task about it.

Besides, I prefer to look at this on a much more wholistic level; when people rant, without discussing or considering facts (i.e.: DC cancelled the book because it wasn't selling well), then it makes all of us as comics fans look bad.

Taking a more mature, rational approach to comics can only help the industry overall, rather than hurt it.