Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Etta Candy To Return As An "Immense Girl" In Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    After which he's been her monogamous partner for the rest of the series so far. I just cannot imagine an interpretation of that scene as anything misogynist.
    Do you think it's OK to take a sexy bikini phone pic of a girl you don't know and post it on the internet?

Do you think Starfire, as written in issue #1, gives a realistic impression to boys 14-17 of what girls in general are like and what they want?

Misogynistic is debatable. Lazy ass prurient T&A based writing for teenage boys I'd say we got.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Do you think it's OK to take a sexy bikini phone pic of a girl you don't know and post it on the internet?

Do you think Starfire, as written in issue #1, gives a realistic impression to boys 14-17 of what girls in general are like and what they want?

Misogynistic is debatable. Lazy ass prurient T&A based writing for teenage boys I'd say we got.

Cheers
    No, I don't think it's okay to do, but I also don't expect every character in a work of fiction to act morally. It's certainly a realistic thing to happen.

Why does the book have to give boys a realistic impression of what girls are or want? It's an adult female - an alien no less, whose alieness was extremely played up in that very scene - and they all act very differently from each other. Some do act like that.

No, I don't think it's okay to do, but I also don't expect every character in a work of fiction to act morally. It's certainly a realistic thing to happen.

Why does the book have to give boys a realistic impression of what girls are or want? It's an adult female - an alien no less, whose alieness was extremely played up in that very scene - and they all act very differently from each other. Some do act like that.
    Fair point... but realisticly, so do tax evasion, drunk driving and cheating on your partner. I don't think we need to say it's acceptable just because it happens a lot.. If you need it to happen for a plot point, show it as being a bit of a tacky thing to do, even with just a throwaway line...

Roles and the impression of women... in noir detective novels we get the bad dames, in spy novels we get the femme fatale, in comics we get the sexually confident babe with helium filled boobs who dresses in leather and shags a man she knows next to nothing about on a personal level...

It bugs me on some level that publishers are pandering (drink!) to a target audience at an age with the least experience of what women want and when they're hormonally most interested in girls, for sales... but that is a personal bias on my part, based on my old fashioned world view.

Without them getting preachy, I wish comics did more to be inspirational and less to be salacious...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

With Morrison on board, I'm in for the ride.

Sex is good.
    Mediocre writing is bad.
    That's the point with Scott Lobdell's work.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Fair point... but realisticly, so do tax evasion, drunk driving and cheating on your partner. I don't think we need to say it's acceptable just because it happens a lot.. If you need it to happen for a plot point, show it as being a bit of a tacky thing to do, even with just a throwaway line...
    I haven't read the issue in question, but it's hard (thought not certainly impossible) to believe the kid's mobile phone voyeurism was shown in a positive light. Perhaps there could have been a scene where he got a cuff round the ear from the Red Hood, but then what if the lad's parents had sued?

Without them getting preachy, I wish comics did more to be inspirational and less to be salacious...
    Were comics ever inspirational though? I remember jumping down the stairs with a towel round my neck because of Superman, but that's about it.
    Joe Kalicki and alekesam like this.

This may also go a ways to making up for what they did to Amanda Waller. At a time when the companies keep talking up diversity, diversity in body type is apparently unimportant to editorial. Good for Grant Morrison.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    This may also go a ways to making up for what they did to Amanda Waller. At a time when the companies keep talking up diversity, diversity in body type is apparently unimportant to editorial. Good for Grant Morrison.
    Diversity of bod type is unimportant. Who wants to read about fatties? Not fatties, that's for sure.

Diversity of bod type is unimportant.
    There are millions of young people, particularly young girls, who are impacted when the media consistently portrays unattainable body types as the ideal. This is all the more true in comic books where unrealistic body types are even more prevalent, and now we have companies eliminating the few characters that did offer something different. I'm glad Morrison is taking a stand against that.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

There are millions of young people, particularly young girls, who are impacted when the media consistently portrays unattainable body types as the ideal. This is all the more true in comic books where unrealistic body types are even more prevalent, and now we have companies eliminating the few characters that did offer something different. I'm glad Morrison is taking a stand against that.
    Who cares? They're fantasy characters in fantasy land. If you need them to teach you it's okay to be a big tub of shit then you have bigger problems to worry about anyway.

Bleeding Cool

The millions of young people, particularly young girls, who read comics, you mean?

And you think the Hulk, say, should have a realistic body-type? What about Galactus, or The Thing?
    alekesam likes this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast