Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Etta Candy To Return As An "Immense Girl" In Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman

I love how fans comment on how a writers "don't get" characters. I understand it in certain circumstances, but yeah, it's old now. Characters are three dimensional. Just because you don't like their interpretation doesn't mean they "don't get" the character. They just see them differently than you do. Just like I see Batman or Superman different than you do probably. It's all about your personal connection to the character IMO and that dictates your perspective on that character.

I'll wait until I read his Wonder Woman before I claim he doesn't "get it." I haven't had much of a problem with how he's wrote her in other things, so we will see.
    kingslayer likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TJ&TAM View Post
    I love Grant Morrison and his Action Comics is one of two things I tolerate about the DCnU, but every single idea he's ever had about Wonder Woman has been awful and this is no exception. It's actually telling how even the best writers stumble when it comes to Wonder Woman. You'd think Gail Simone would soar, but her work was utterly uninteresting, while Secret Six was a must read. And Grant Morrison seems poised to crash on those same rocks. In the meantime someone as unlikely as Brian Azzarello comes along and creates a Wonder Woman book worth reading. Granted, he just turned her into Hercules, but still worth reading.
    Um... the reason Wonder Woman tends to suck is because she is a very sexual character, at a very conservative company, who tend to want to keep her a virginal figure whilst hooking someone like, say, Batman, up with every woman around. Because men who sleep around = studs. Women who sleep around = sluts. It's a very stupid, inaccurate worldview, but that is DC comics for you.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

You might want to look at SEVEN SOLDIERS: ZATANNA, for an idea of what Grant might have in mind.

Wrote the Book on Cool CBattles6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cforshaw67220 View Post
    Because men who sleep around = studs. Women who sleep around = sluts. It's a very stupid, inaccurate worldview, but that is the United States of America for you.
    Fixed that for you.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cforshaw67220 View Post
    Um... the reason Wonder Woman tends to suck is because she is a very sexual character, at a very conservative company, who tend to want to keep her a virginal figure whilst hooking someone like, say, Batman, up with every woman around. Because men who sleep around = studs. Women who sleep around = sluts. It's a very stupid, inaccurate worldview, but that is DC comics for you.
    That's BS. Wonder Woman has her status, but look at the shit DC gets for showing Catwoman and Starfire having sex. Starfire has had sex with one person in the last 14 months and "fans" still call her a slut. So the problem isn't with DC's depiction, it's with the people reading the books.
    SMARTASS8 and alekesam like this.

Damn, cheesecake of the 90s (and recent years) ain't got nothing on this vintage sh!t
    StarCruncher and Cavemold like this.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bewareofgeek View Post
    You might want to look at SEVEN SOLDIERS: ZATANNA, for an idea of what Grant might have in mind.
    Or Bulleteer, which was drawn by Paquette (who is doing the WW project with Grant). It's a good commentary on portrayal of women in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    An old Wonder Woman comic where Wonder Woman is tied up. That's unusual

Is Grant really writing a Wonder Woman book? I thought he was stepping away from super heroes for a while
    Every interview I've read with him on this subject sounds like he's writing a bondage book that WW just happens to be in.
    Stevaux The LEsser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ&TAM View Post
    I love Grant Morrison and his Action Comics is one of two things I tolerate about the DCnU, but every single idea he's ever had about Wonder Woman has been awful and this is no exception. It's actually telling how even the best writers stumble when it comes to Wonder Woman. You'd think Gail Simone would soar, but her work was utterly uninteresting, while Secret Six was a must read. And Grant Morrison seems poised to crash on those same rocks. In the meantime someone as unlikely as Brian Azzarello comes along and creates a Wonder Woman book worth reading. Granted, he just turned her into Hercules, but still worth reading.
    Wonder Woman in RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE #6 eclipsed the entirety of WONDER WOMAN (Volume Three) through to WW #614.

That was ONE issue featuring Diana. Imagine what he can do with a full mini-series. It will be spectacular.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    That's BS. Wonder Woman has her status, but look at the shit DC gets for showing Catwoman and Starfire having sex. Starfire has had sex with one person in the last 14 months and "fans" still call her a slut. So the problem isn't with DC's depiction, it's with the people reading the books.
    What "fans" called Starfire a slut pre-DCnU? That's BS. no one thought of Starfire as a slut from 1980-2011.

And for the record, she's had several sexual partners, including Dick Grayson, HIVE agent Franklin Crandall (I'd assume), husband 1 Karras, husband 2 Ph'yzzon, Captain Comet to name a few. Plus, I'd assume she's had other lovers "off panel" when she wasn't an earth-bound super-hero.

I'm not sure what you are basing this Starfire stuff on....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast