Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Batman And The Old 52 Selling A Storm At Rhode Island

Administrator

Default Batman And The Old 52 Selling A Storm At Rhode Island

A comicbook seller reports for the Rhode Island Comic Con on the current state of the market. And everything's coming up Batman. Old Batman, that is...
    -I had half a dozen people looking for OOP Dixon Nightwing trades.

-almost as many were looking for Baman: Contagion and Cataclysm, the two events leading into No Man's Land (which DC is rereleasing)

-a couple of people looking for Knightquest: the Search because of DC leaving leaving it out of the Knightquest TPB

-Sold a Sword of Azrael TPB for $25 ($10 cover), which wasn't included in the recent release of Knightfall.

-Bane books were hot in general. I wish I had brought more.

-I sold only one of my nine Bedlam #1s for $5, an NYCC cover went for $40 to the same person.

-Sets of Revival- #1-3 went at $25, 1-4 for $30

-Lots of requests for Annihilation/GotG material, which Marvel isn't keeping in print. I didn't have a lot, moved a GotGv3 for $35.

-Civil War is evergreen for Marvel. Lots of people looking for both single issues and trades.

-In a weird one, three people asked for Haney-era Titans, including a teenage girl.

-New 52 back issue sales were decent, I unfortunately didn't have the stock to fulfill all the requests.

Zen Master of Cool

I'm guessing it won't happen any time soon, but I'd love for the sales of pre-new 52 books to lead to a return to that continuity. There was a pretty obvious back door built in for the universe to revert.

I mean, at a certain point the whole "new reader friendly" bit will fade away, as the books become bogged down by more and more continuity.

Meh, but I'm an old dude who gave up on the new 52 and misses the old DCU, so my two cents might not be worth much.

So the old universe and the new universe both sell well and have a healthy demand overall. That seems like a big win.
    johncage1000 and SAMURAI36 like this.

Cooler Than The Other Side of the Pillow kingslayer's Avatar

Civil War is evergreen? I thought everybody hated it. The internet has lied to me!!!

Wrote the Book on Cool

I have to say, I went to this "con" and it was by far the worst one I have ever been to. I know its their first year but for a huge place like the RICC this was like amateur hour. Ive even been to Wizard World and it wasnt this bad. There were maybe 5 vendors selling comics and the rest were a combination of the following; the equivalent of a yard sale, people selling herbal supplements, a vendor willing to charge your cell phone for 5 dollars, Vonage trying to sell phones, a carnival game that was bordering on gambling run by a guy that had a strange resemblance to former WWF star Bam Bam Bigelow, and the star of the day, a vendor that was selling goldfish and the opportunity to take a picture with a rather large snake. Another gripe of mine was the fact that only after purchasing your tickets and going through the entrance did they tell you who was not able to show up for artists/guests. At the end of the day I had left with 3 comics, 2 of which were purchased from a friend who was working artists alley. Like I mentioned before I know its their first year but if it continues down this path I dont see this con lasting past next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I have to say, I went to this "con" and it was by far the worst one I have ever been to. I know its their first year but for a huge place like the RICC this was like amateur hour. Ive even been to Wizard World and it wasnt this bad. There were maybe 5 vendors selling comics and the rest were a combination of the following; the equivalent of a yard sale, people selling herbal supplements, a vendor willing to charge your cell phone for 5 dollars, Vonage trying to sell phones, a carnival game that was bordering on gambling run by a guy that had a strange resemblance to former WWF star Bam Bam Bigelow, and the star of the day, a vendor that was selling goldfish and the opportunity to take a picture with a rather large snake. Another gripe of mine was the fact that only after purchasing your tickets and going through the entrance did they tell you who was not able to show up for artists/guests. At the end of the day I had left with 3 comics, 2 of which were purchased from a friend who was working artists alley. Like I mentioned before I know its their first year but if it continues down this path I dont see this con lasting past next year.
    Wait - did they really charge $25 per ticket for that.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I shit you not. There were people paying upwards of 200 dollars for "VIP" tickets.

Ha ha!

The only question that remains is, who felt the most shame for having gone there - the paying guests, or that guy who played the doctor on Star Trek Voyager

Bleeding Cool

yes i want Dixion Nightwing run at decent price!

Bleeding Cool

Do me a favor and reprint it DC
    saidestroyer likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast