Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: DC Acts To Remove Rogue Stephanie Brown Appearance In L'il Gotham (UPDATE)d

Quote Originally Posted by cforshaw67220 View Post
    Sorry, I meant series spun-off from the end of 'Avengers vs. X-Men', which is a line-wide something-something.
    Jumping on point?

So the entire Nu52 is spun off from Flashpoint?

No offence, but can you even see your initial comment from where you've now wandered off to?

Yes there is continuity, yes there's a commercial aspect to how it's being co-ordinated. It doesn't mean marketing are plotting the damn books!

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    It's only confusing if you insist on looking outside of the books, themselves. Thus, exactly as Joe said, "Any confusion is brought on by the readers themselves."
    Mmmm.. it's brought on by long term readers not being able/willing to archive 40/50/60 years of continuity and approach Nu52 with no preconceptions.

How rational/culpable DC are to think they would do that... well, seperate argument methinks...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Mmmm.. it's brought on by long term readers not being able/willing to archive 40/50/60 years of continuity and approach Nu52 with no preconceptions.

How rational/culpable DC are to think they would do that... well, seperate argument methinks...

Cheers
    You're much more sympathetic than I am (a fact which we already knew). Regardless of additional culpability, a person who chooses to be confused by their own preconceptions gets no sympathy from me, and certainly not after it's been pointed out dozens of times. That's just willful ignorance, which is the absolute worst kind of ignorance.

I would agree, however, that there are plenty of separate arguments, and many of them involve irrational ideas from DC as well.
    Peter J Poole likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    If it was just a single isolated incident, no. I think the interpretation is that it fits into an ongoing pattern of behavior the Stephanie Brown fans feel like they've been experiencing from DC.
    (I tried to 'like' this post but for some reason I'm having continual problems with the 'like' function right now... )

Yeah, that's exactly it, Mike:

DC want to bring Babs back to the Batgirl costume and role? Yeah, that's cool. I can understand why they'd want to do that, especially sales-wise.

DC want to rest the character for a while? Hey, no worries, it's a brand new universe - they'll get around to her, I'm sure.

Steph was never a Robin? Well, seems a little unnecessary but I guess I can live with it.

They're bringing the character back in the Smallville universe? Hey, coo... wait, now they're not? The hell?

Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder (and, of course, Bryan Q Miller) have both been prevented from using the character in their stories? That seems pretty dumb.

An episode of Young Justice where she appeared and... spoke two lines... got pulled from the schedule? Are you kidding me?

And now... an image of a blonde/red-head girl treat-or-treating in a Steph Brown Batgirl costume has been artistically altered so it no longer resembles the character? That's just retarded.

So you can see why some people are scratching their heads and wondering if there's a little more to all this.
    kamenwriter555 likes this.

Banned

Wait... people are accepting the fan fic that is the New 52 as cannon??
    mbecks114 likes this.

Consultant of Cool

It's only confusing if you insist on looking outside of the books, themselves. Thus, exactly as Joe said, "Any confusion is brought on by the readers themselves."
    So you're saying I should just ignore all the interviews and press releases I've read from the publishers and creators? And that I'm only confusing myself because I'm expecting things based on promises made by the creators?

People were mad about the New 52 because they didn't want to throw away all that they knew about the DCU and the characters that inhabited it. So the creators promised we wouldn't have to do that completely. But in too many cases, we've seen this promise broken.

I personally, was both excited and terrified about the New 52. I think there's been a lot of good to come out of it, and I'm able to leave a lot of the history at the door, and in a lot of the books that I find most successful, I don't have to do that. With books like the Flash, Aquaman, and Green Lantern, obviously things in the past are different for them now, but the stories don't rely on this new history to push the book forward. With Justice League I was able to let go of the history to read the story and accept it and I think it worked. But in a lot of cases where the history is so different, it's confusing because the history has been so redefined.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mbecks114 View Post
    So you're saying I should just ignore all the interviews and press releases I've read from the publishers and creators?
    If they're confusing you, yes. I thought that was pretty obvious. What's on the printed comic page trumps interviews every time.

Consultant of Cool

If they're confusing you, yes. I thought that was pretty obvious. What's on the printed comic page trumps interviews every time.
    True but that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect things from what they're telling us the expect. It's not even about being confused as much as it is being disappointed.

edit: or at least frustrated. I don't hate all things New 52 by any means! But I'm saying I understand why people are confused or upset by the treatment of the history.
    Last edited by mbecks114; 11-04-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional point

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mbecks114 View Post
    True but that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect things from what they're telling us the expect. It's not even about being confused as much as it is being disappointed.

edit: or at least frustrated. I don't hate all things New 52 by any means! But I'm saying I understand why people are confused or upset by the treatment of the history.
    No, you said it was confusing, which is what I answered. I really don't care about your frustrations or disapointments.

It's difficult to figure out the continuity of the New 52 because it's purposefully nebulous by design. DC doesn't want to rule anything out right away in case they have a need for it. The best way to deal with it is to tell people to proceed as if everything is new, but it's easy to say that because it's just a blanket catch-all statement. If you're a longtime fan who's devoted a certain amount of brain-space to following, organizing and accepting an evolving DCU continuity that in many cases spans decades, on a purely practical level it's difficult to compartmentalize that away and say that it "doesn't count" in the New 52, especially when so much of it clearly does -- not just for story reasons, but for business reasons.

For example, the two continuities that were supposedly altered the least by the New 52 were those of Batman and Green Lantern. I don't think it's any coincidence that sales of their TPBs (and those of their surrounding "family") were also among the highest at DC at the time when that decision was made. To keep those books selling and relevant in the years ahead, it only makes good business sense to say that those stories "happened". Things only get messy when DC tries to compress everything to fit into an arbitrary time-frame of 5-6 years (leading to the questions about Damian's age, who was an "official" Robin, etc.) or when characters from the Batman or Green Lantern families interact with other characters in the DCU (all of Teen Titans continuity being a good example).

A week ago I suggested a new Secret Origins series might be a good idea, since that helped to clarify many of the changes on the post-COIE continuity. But perhaps it would be more prudent for DC to just put together an all-new History of the DC Universe (as they also did post-COIE).

Or maybe I should just keep my fingers crossed that the upcoming event storyline involving the Phantom Stranger, Pandora, etc., will lead to an integration of the best ideas from the New 52 and a return of the pre-Flashpoint DCU. For fans who've left DC out of disgust in the wake of the New 52, such a storyline would certainly create another one of those brief-but-high sales spikes that DC and Marvel are forever chasing in lieu of, y'k'now, simply publishing well-crafted stories.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast