Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: DC Acts To Remove Rogue Stephanie Brown Appearance In L'il Gotham (UPDATE)d

For what it's worth, I was down to one DC title (The Legion) during a couple years in the early 2000s, so they can lose me too.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by paulski View Post
    It's the fact that DC chose to unnecessarily remove an image of a character they clearly don't want featured in any of their books - yet again (and in spite of the fact the artist clearly wanted to show her in the artwork) - for no good reason whatsoever. And which pretty much amounted to them spitting in the face of Stephanie Brown fans who thought this was a nice little tip of the hat.
    "Spitting in the face"? Really?
    Comicsfan101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
    For some people, apparently so... People care passionately about the damnedest things.

Then again, as comics geeks, this should probably not be a huge surprise to anyone here...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Well, for one I enjoy their characters and universe more so they get more leeway. Two, they're far more diverse in that they have more than three teams all sharing the same members and actually have solo characters. Three, their comics aren't a giant crossover virtually every single month dictated by a handful of creators. Four, I don't like the creators Marvel is using to dictate those stories. Five, I don't like the double-shipping and price-gouging policies. Six, and most important, Ultimatum.
    Fair enough. I'm not sure about points one to three, but your argument gathers strength. Point six is undeniable.

Ultimatum.
    Why did you even type that word?

Consultant of Cool

I'm judging the size of her fanbase by how well her series sold as well as the fact that even in the comparatively tiny internet fan community there are still aren't many people who are actively trying to bring her back.

Also, what giant continuity plot holes?
    Ok, book sales are fair. I think there are a lot of people who want her back, I hear about it all the time and it can't be from only a dozen people. I mean I would still consider her a C-list character in her star appeal, but there seems to be a demand for the character. I know several creators (Gail Simone, Grant Morrison, and possibly another) have attempted to bring her back and they were told "No." So there are people with influence who are actively trying to bring her back too.

Maybe "giant continuity plot holes" is an exaggeration, but it's been over a year and there's still a lot of confusion. Some of the Zero issues definitely helped with that but we're still learning about who these characters are now, and trying to figure out what, if anything, they used to be is still in tact. I think the 5 years thing was good in theory but it's just making everything feel squished. Especially with the Robins, which has definitely been a source of continuity bloopers, as well as the Teen Titans history, the Superman books were confusing. It also just seems that the more we learn the more people get upset.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    For some people, apparently so... People care passionately about the damnedest things.
    I'm not questioning whether anyone should care passionately about something. I'm just slightly surprised that changing the hair color of a character who may or may not be Stephanie Brown is interpreted as "spitting in the face" of Steph's fans.

I'm not questioning whether anyone should care passionately about something. I'm just slightly surprised that changing the hair color of a character who may or may not be Stephanie Brown is interpreted as "spitting in the face" of Steph's fans.
    If it was just a single isolated incident, no. I think the interpretation is that it fits into an ongoing pattern of behavior the Stephanie Brown fans feel like they've been experiencing from DC.
    Last edited by Mike H.; 11-03-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: grammar
    mbecks114 likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    So Whedon is contradictory and unreliable except when he supposedly says something, somewhere, that supports your interpretation?

Look, the point JMS made about OMD is that if you're doing work for hire, you're playing with someone else's toys in their sandbox, and you're never going to get real carte blanche on it... There's a degree of compromise, and creative people these days know enough about business to know that what they want to produce needs to be commercially viable...

But that does not instantly lead to your initial position being correct:

Or, putting it in simpler terms, if you don't know there's about a light year of difference between 'telling' and 'asking', go try telling your girlfriend to do something...

Cheers
    Um... the quote you used was me describing 'Avengers vs. X-Men', which would have had to be mandated by marketing and editorial to tie in to all the spin-off series that were being produced, but which was ruined by being so utterly check-list.

And I was right about Whedon, and you quote proves it - the decision for Colossus to return was not Whedon's. The book needed something beyond just an awesome creative team to help continue its momentum, and that something was the return of Colossus... I didn't say it ruined the book, or that Whedon hated it... but he is on record as saying he didn't want to bring him back and cheapen his death.

Now, excuse me, I'm going to watch 'Slither'. Never seen it before. Hope it is good!

VP in Charge of Cool

Joshua Jackson runs in and spits in paulski's face.

"No, that is spitting in the face of Stephanie Brown's fans!"

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast