Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Acts To Remove Rogue Stephanie Brown Appearance In L'il Gotham (UPDATE)d

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I'm judging the size of her fanbase by how well her series sold as well as the fact that even in the comparatively tiny internet fan community there are still aren't many people who are actively trying to bring her back.

Also, what giant continuity plot holes?
    The ones he makes up about books he's not reading.

Quote Originally Posted by cforshaw67220 View Post
    FFS... Let's be clear on this: Whedon says contradictory things all the time. He admitted that marketing came up with the idea, got reported as saying so, then back-tracked later so as to preserve his relationship with Marvel.
    Oh, and to quote: "Marvel asked if I could bring him back."

Jeez, that sure sounds like it was his idea.

Second of all, somewhere on Whedon's own website it says that he wouldn't want to cheapen Colossus' death by bringing him back.

Put two and two together.
    So Whedon is contradictory and unreliable except when he supposedly says something, somewhere, that supports your interpretation?

Look, the point JMS made about OMD is that if you're doing work for hire, you're playing with someone else's toys in their sandbox, and you're never going to get real carte blanche on it... There's a degree of compromise, and creative people these days know enough about business to know that what they want to produce needs to be commercially viable...

But that does not instantly lead to your initial position being correct:

No, the point is that they don't improvise and adapt to changes in the narrative. If they did, that wouldn't be the problem - the problem is they either micromanage it because there is a rigid plan, which ruins the work (like 'Avengers vs. X-Men', a story which was clearly mandated and plotted by marketing, given that most of the writers involved with the book are consistently far better than that series was), or they state they have a plan, and people become disillusioned when their expectations aren't met ('Lost', 'Battlestar Galactica').
    Or, putting it in simpler terms, if you don't know there's about a light year of difference between 'telling' and 'asking', go try telling your girlfriend to do something...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Given how so much of the new comics seem to be story ideas that are basically being sold on a poster pitch more than anything else,
    given the old method was "DC have this thing called Justice League, let's do something similar" or "this is the cover, wrte a story that fits" this doesn't seem like anything new
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

You think it looks good but because they changed the color of one line on an unnamed, unimportant background character in one panel you won't buy it. I'm going to stick with my diagnosis.
    The quality of the artwork is not what I was talking about.

It's the fact that DC chose to unnecessarily remove an image of a character they clearly don't want featured in any of their books - yet again (and in spite of the fact the artist clearly wanted to show her in the artwork) - for no good reason whatsoever. And which pretty much amounted to them spitting in the face of Stephanie Brown fans who thought this was a nice little tip of the hat.

It's stupid, unnecessary and, frankly, pisses me off. So why should I reward this kind of (IMO) stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by paulski View Post
    The quality of the artwork is not what I was talking about.

It's the fact that DC chose to unnecessarily remove an image of a character they clearly don't want featured in any of their books - yet again (and in spite of the fact the artist clearly wanted to show her in the artwork) - for no good reason whatsoever. And which pretty much amounted to them spitting in the face of Stephanie Brown fans who thought this was a nice little tip of the hat.

It's stupid, unnecessary and, frankly, pisses me off. So why should I reward this kind of (IMO) stupidity?
    Because it's utterly inconsequential to a story you think you would enjoy, and if it wasn't pointed out you never would have even noticed it happened.

Because it's utterly inconsequential to a story you think you would enjoy, and if it wasn't pointed out you never would have even noticed it happened.
    But it was, so it's hardly as though I can un-notice it. Like I said, it's the whole principle of the thing that disappoints me the most.

But Joe, we clearly have a difference of opinion on this thing and I don't see that it's something we need to get in an argument about, so what say we just agree to disagree, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by paulski View Post
    But it was, so it's hardly as though I can un-notice it. Like I said, it's the whole principle of the thing that disappoints me the most.

But Joe, we clearly have a difference of opinion on this thing and I don't see that it's something we need to get in an argument about, so what say we just agree to disagree, huh?
    All right. I guess I just prefer to keep my principled stands to something more substantial. But believe me, I have them. Almost four years without buying a Marvel comic.

Bleeding Cool

All right. I guess I just prefer to keep my principled stands to something more substantial. But believe me, I have them. Almost four years without buying a Marvel comic.
    Joe, I don't want to go on. You have your beliefs.

But your stance on this remains perplexing. I just don't see what makes DC, in your eyes, an exponentially better company than Marvel, to the point where you won't buy anything from the House Of Ideas, but claim to hoover up obvious bollocks like Firestorm or Teen Titans with a smile on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    Joe, I don't want to go on. You have your beliefs.

But your stance on this remains perplexing. I just don't see what makes DC, in your eyes, an exponentially better company than Marvel, to the point where you won't buy anything from the House Of Ideas, but claim to hoover up obvious bollocks like Firestorm or Teen Titans with a smile on your face.
    Well, for one I enjoy their characters and universe more so they get more leeway. Two, they're far more diverse in that they have more than three teams all sharing the same members and actually have solo characters. Three, their comics aren't a giant crossover virtually every single month dictated by a handful of creators. Four, I don't like the creators Marvel is using to dictate those stories. Five, I don't like the double-shipping and price-gouging policies. Six, and most important, Ultimatum.

...and most important, Ultimatum.
    wounds are still raw I see
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast