Page 34 of 1562 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644841345341034 ... LastLast
Like Tree15593Likes

Thread: DC comics positivity thread

downlikecharlie

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    I've started rereading Rucka's CHECKMATE series. The Great Ten just appeared, so I pulled THE GREAT TEN mini-series from its box.

THE GREAT TEN sold beyond poorly – so poorly that it was truncated from 10 issues to 9. It was a terrific mini-series. Scott McDaniel's art was superb and I think it may be my favorite story written by Tony Bedard.
    Checkmate was such a great series. I loved how he handled Alan Scott and Amanda Waller.

Vacation Village, San Diego, January 1979

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    Today.

I'm thrilled by the news. LSH has been quite lackluster since its launch pre DCnU and the DCnU series.

Hopefully, this is what the book needs to get it on track back to the greatness the LSH deserves.
    Brilliant. I was wondering when Giffen would pick up his pencils again.

Ah shit, I'm out then.

Sorry guys, but I just can't stand Giffen's pencils. And I really wasn't enjoying LSH that much with a good artist like Portela.

Hmm, starting to look like I can get that DC list down to 25 books after all (especially considering the completely underwhelming Wave 4 books coming up - Vibe and Katana? Seriously?).

But on a brighter note...

Great week of comics this week. And I saved the best two (Swamp Thing and Worlds' Finest) for last which was an added bonus. No time to go into great detail but here's the cliff notes:

Action Comics - Nice to see Rags back to his best. Lovely artwork and a real Doctor Who-ish feel to the story.

Animal Man - Another really solid issue and yet it was only my 7th favourite book.

Detective Comics - Continuing its upward trend but the complete change in direction of the story threw me a bit.

Dial H - The less said, the better.

Earth 2 - A reasonable conclusion to the story with an unexpected ending (at least for me).

Green Lantern - I wanted to see more of a skirmish with the JL.

Swamp Thing - Yanick Paquette fucking rocks. That is all.

Worlds' Finest - Damn, how good was that! And Levitz wrote Damian perfectly. As good as Morrison himself, which is the highest of complements. My best comic of the week by some way.
    Joe Kalicki likes this.

First week of the month is always my biggest DC week. I picked up..

Legends of The Dark Knight
    Detective Comics
    Action Comics
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Earth Two
    World's Finest
    Superman Earth One VolumeTwo
    Sweet Tooth

Looking forward to all of them, I've only read Legends so far, which was fantastic! Templesmith and agreat one issue Joker/Hatter/Croc story. Really made me feel nostalgic, just not sure why exactly hah.

Anyone read Superman Earth One V.2 yet? Picked it up on a whim, simply because I'm craving a good Superman story besides Action and it looked pretty good from the art. I liked Vol.1, so I have expectations.

BTW, I picked up the Absolute of DC: The New Frontier at Mid-Ohio Comic Con a little over a month ago. One of those things I just never got around to reading (prolly due to there not being a single volume paperback). I'm excited to start it and the absolute itself is just beautiful. I've always heard good things so I'm pretty pumped for it.
    Joe Kalicki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jyork View Post
    BTW, I picked up the Absolute of DC: The New Frontier at Mid-Ohio Comic Con a little over a month ago. One of those things I just never got around to reading (prolly due to there not being a single volume paperback). I'm excited to start it and the absolute itself is just beautiful. I've always heard good things so I'm pretty pumped for it.
    I bought it a few years ago, it's easily the best-looking comic I own. I love how the huge pages take up your whole vision, making it a really immersive experience.

The next character up in DC Universe Presents is Arsenal, written by Joe Keatinge. I don't know the writer's work, but it seems weird to give a spot to someone already starring in a title.
    jyork likes this.

Keatinge is pretty damn awesome. Glory is at the top of my stack whenever it comes out and Hell Yeah is pretty good.

Wrote the Book on Cool photonex68's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulski View Post
    Sorry guys, but I just can't stand Giffen's pencils. And I really wasn't enjoying LSH that much with a good artist like Portela.
    I've enjoyed the LSH since Levitz's return, though not as much as the Levitz/Giffen/Mahlstedt team around the time of GDS. Giffen's pencils lost a lot of appeal to me when they got scratchier and more "stylized," but lately I find them tolerable, though nowhere near as enjoyable as GDS-era Giffen.