Page 29 of 1562 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139791295291029 ... LastLast
Like Tree15594Likes

Thread: DC comics positivity thread

My 11.7.2012 DC Hard Copy Pull

ACTION COMICS (Volume Two) #14
    Morrison has done very little wrong with this series in my not so humble eyes. I expect this to rock.

ANIMAL MAN (Volume Two) #14
    This series has been superb. Rotworld is creepy, disturbing and thrilling.

BATWING #14
    I didn't read #13. I haven't been too thrilled with this series.

DETECTIVE COMICS (Volume Two) #14
    DCE needs to change the title to "DETECTIVE COMICS Starring The Penguin." He seems to be in every issue! I didn't read #13 yet. I do not like The Penguin. There, I posted it!

DIAL H #6
    #1 stunk. #0 was terrific. I haven't read any other issues yet.

EARTH 2 #6
    I don't know the general consensus regarding this series. I find this to be a superb comic.

FAIREST #9
    #8 was awesome. Who knew Rapunzel could be so damn cool?

G.I. COMBAT (Volume Three) #6
    I haven't started reading this series yet. Chances are, I never will.

GREEN ARROW (Volume Six) #14
    I haven't started reading Ann Nocenti's run yet.

GREEN LANTERN (Volume Four) #14
    I like Baz.

JLA: EARTH 2
    If the cover for this edition is the Crime Syndicate with the JL reflected beneath them, then I'm picking it up. If not, I'll be skipping it.

STORMWATCH (Volume Three) #14
    #13 was the first truly entertaining issue.

SWAMP THING (Volume Five) #14
    Snyder's run is quickly moving up the charts and is closing in on Mark Millar and Nancy Collins' runs for me. I don't know if it will pass by them (Collins' run is my #1 Swampy run, followed closely by Millar's), but Snyder's work is brilliant. As redefining and distinctive as the afore mentioned runs.

SWEET TOOTH #39
    I'm at least 20 issues behind.

WORLDS' FINEST #6
    Helena Wayne meets Damian Wayne? This will be awesome.

Notable Non-DC New Release
    PLANET OF THE APES: CATACLYSM #3
    Fantastic! The two preceding mini-series were awesome and so is this ongoing.

Same Day Digital Comics
    EARTH 2 #6
    FAIREST #9
    WORLDS' FINEST #6

Expected Digital Back Issues
    CHECKMATE (Volume Two) #5 and #6

HELLBLAZER #252 and #253
    The second and third chapters of Milligan's superb run.

JSA #24

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (Volume Four) #36 and #37
    I posted my revised thoughts regarding this series yesterday on this thread.

SUICIDE SQUAD (Volume One) #6

WONDER WOMAN (Wonder Woman) #129 and #130
    The wind down of Byrne's spectacular run continues.
    Joe Kalicki likes this.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Dean of Cool University

Savage Hawkman, Phantom Stranger, The Dark Knight, and Ravagers are my favorites...

The Culling is the best crossover event I've read in years.

I'm just glad we can have A-list talent like Howard Mackie, Scott Lobdell, and Tom DeFalco writing big name books again.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpanda View Post
    Savage Hawkman, Phantom Stranger, The Dark Knight, and Ravagers are my favorites...

The Culling is the best crossover event I've read in years.

I'm just glad we can have A-list talent like Howard Mackie, Scott Lobdell, and Tom DeFalco writing big name books again.

Way to be a dick for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    Morrison has done very little wrong with this series in my not so humble eyes. I expect this to rock.
    I haven't really liked this series, but like I said, I thought issue 13 was terrific, so maybe Morrison can end his run on a high note for me. Interesting to see it fill in the gap between the start of the series and modern day.

This series has been superb. Rotworld is creepy, disturbing and thrilling.
    After 14 months now I'm ready for Rotworld to be over and see what happens next.

BATWING #14
    I didn't read #13. I haven't been too thrilled with this series.
    I'e really enjoyed this series. I miss Oliver on the art, though. To is great, but he doesn't give it the same atmosphere.

DETECTIVE COMICS (Volume Two) #14
    DCE needs to change the title to "DETECTIVE COMICS Starring The Penguin." He seems to be in every issue! I didn't read #13 yet. I do not like The Penguin. There, I posted it!
    I wasn't a fan of 13. It's about on par with Daniel's issues.

DIAL H #6
    #1 stunk. #0 was terrific. I haven't read any other issues yet.
    I had high hopes for this series, but it really isn't very enjoyable.

EARTH 2 #6
    I don't know the general consensus regarding this series. I find this to be a superb comic.
    I love this comic. I'm happy to see James Robinson get a chance to build a whole world.

G.I. COMBAT (Volume Three) #6
    I haven't started reading this series yet. Chances are, I never will.
    I liked the art on War That Time Forgot, I liked the first chapter of Haunted Tank okay. Not a fan of the Unknown Soldier half though.

GREEN ARROW (Volume Six) #14
    I haven't started reading Ann Nocenti's run yet.
    Nocenti's run hasn't been any good. Freddie Williams on art is a big step up though.

I like Baz.
    Me too, even though it's apparently racist now to portray anyone who isn't a straight white male as having a criminal background, no matter the circumstances or how they grow and change.

#13 was the first truly entertaining issue.
    I've enjoyed this book since Cornell left. I like what Milligan's doing with it. Interested in exploring Demon Knights/Stormwatch teams from throughout the ages.

Snyder's run is quickly moving up the charts and is closing in on Mark Millar and Nancy Collins' runs for me. I don't know if it will pass by them (Collins' run is my #1 Swampy run, followed closely by Millar's), but Snyder's work is brilliant. As redefining and distinctive as the afore mentioned runs.
    It's a little too decompressed for my liking. I do like Swamp Thing's new design though.

WORLDS' FINEST #6
    Helena Wayne meets Damian Wayne? This will be awesome.
    This is a fun comic with great art. People who think DC doesn't have enough "fun" books need to be reading this.

A bit of feedback on this week's comics (which I read this morning):

Aquaman #13 - Not a bad conclusion to The Others, but not that satisfying if I'm being completely honest. A bit abrupt and almost anti-climactic.

Action Comics Annual - Not too bad, if a tad underwhelming. And it's very noticeable when Morrison ain't writing. The Sook art on the back-up was pretty neat, though.

Batgirl Annual - Uggh. Good art in the first half, but Gail's dialogue was back to her excruciating worst (after a couple good issues of the monthly). And I really don't think she understands the Talons.

JL Dark Annual - Pretty good conclusion to the Books of Magic storyline, just a shame it wasn't a clean finish and left us hanging for the next story (but I guess that's the intention, huh?).

Swamp Thing Annual - Nice stuff. Naturally I miss Paquette's artwork and I'm certainly not much of a Cloonan fan, but she did okay. The writing and character work was the most enjoyable part, though.

And it's not a DC book, but I thought Happy! #2 was actually the best book of the lot. Wonderful art from Robertson again.
    Joe Kalicki likes this.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Way to be a dick for no reason.
    It's all I know......

I'll post my legitimate feeling on the state of affairs soon. Generally I think DC's books are in a better place than they were before the reboot but in a lot of ways the company is still a hot mess.

VP in Charge of Cool

Did anyone else read Joe Kubert Presents? I really liked the Hawkman story. But then, it was by Joe Kubert whats not to like? Has Hawkman always been every animal or was that something new? I think I remember him talking to birds on occasion, but JKP was the first time I've seen him talk to all kinds of animanls.
    Joe Kalicki and not him - HIM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by karmakaze View Post
    Did anyone else read Joe Kubert Presents? I really liked the Hawkman story. But then, it was by Joe Kubert whats not to like? Has Hawkman always been every animal or was that something new? I think I remember him talking to birds on occasion, but JKP was the first time I've seen him talk to all kinds of animanls.
    I haven't read it yet. I'm still a month behind, just starting the New 52 issue 13s. I will definitely get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by karmakaze View Post
    Did anyone else read Joe Kubert Presents?
    In the "in tray" waiting to be read, along with about 60% of last week's haul. Looks gorgeous though.
    karmakaze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    In the "in tray" waiting to be read, along with about 60% of last week's haul. Looks gorgeous though.
    I didn't get any new DC books this week (first time in a long time that's happened), so I bought a back issue and read that instead. It was Saga of the Swamp Thing #1 from 1982. Gorgeous Tom Yeates artwork.
    not him - HIM likes this.