Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is anyone here reading Dial H?

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    Same. Something never quite gelled for me.
    One day I'd really love to read the Swamp Thing story he supposedly wrote for Vertigo before the character was "returned" to the mainstream DCU. That sounded intriguing.

I agree with you fellows. I don't want to say the book is terrible, but I basically have no idea what's happening beyond the basics of who the characters are. I liked issues 1 and 0 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I agree with you fellows. I don't want to say the book is terrible, but I basically have no idea what's happening beyond the basics of who the characters are. I liked issues 1 and 0 though.
    Yeah, 0 was good, it was the last one I bought and it almost made me keep buying, but I need to be a bit ruthless money wise right now and it wasn't enough.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Yeah, #1 and #0 were the best of what I read as well. I love the Dial H concept but the main story lost me by #3. I couldn't even tell why I was expected to care about what was going on anymore.

Bleeding Cool

Issue 0 might have helped, but yeah, like others, I found it a bit too confusing and difficult to care about.

The gimmick's okay on the face of it, but often, the plot seems to play second fiddle to whatever wacky creations the Dial/Mieville's going to come up with next.

It's a shame because as a fan of Mieville's novels, I did want to like it. Oh well.

Dial H is one of the few decent DC nu52s out there.
    It's slim pickings, too.

It's a gloriously layered, clever, emotional and wonderfully surreal.
    It's rare that a comic book comes along completely out of the blue (I'd never heard of Dial H before this) and knocks me for six. I loved it even more when I found out how Mieville is playing with the original concept so well.

It's true modern classic comic book.

I'll be picking up my last issue (#6) later today. Some interesting ideas and artwork, but it's just a little bit too out there for my liking. Not that there was anything I didn't really understand or follow, it's just not my bag. And the upcoming Ponticelli artwork guarantees I won't recant and jump back on the book.

Captain Cool

This month's issue is really straight forward, so I urge you guys to give it a shot.

Fantastic post, Desaad.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    It's a gloriously layered, clever, emotional and wonderfully surreal.

It's true modern classic comic book.
    My view on the comic is pretty much the same. I admit it's the hardest nu52 title to get into by far but it's all the more rewarding for it if you put the time in and read through the issues a couple of times. It kinda reminds me of Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers saga - a multi-layered superhero title that plays with the genre's conventions in a 'clever clever' manner.

I'll take a comic that occasionally disappears up its own arse while searching for something new than yet another Bat-title or Green Lantern spin-off.
    No More Heroes: the best comic you'll ever read (that's written by me). FREE ten page preview! Click HERE

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GordonM View Post
    My view on the comic is pretty much the same. I admit it's the hardest nu52 title to get into by far but it's all the more rewarding for it if you put the time in and read through the issues a couple of times. It kinda reminds me of Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers saga - a multi-layered superhero title that plays with the genre's conventions in a 'clever clever' manner.

I'll take a comic that occasionally disappears up its own arse while searching for something new than yet another Bat-title or Green Lantern spin-off.
    Since Mieville is a quite popular novelist, hopefully the trades should well really well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast