Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: More From George Perez On Working At DC Comics

Administrator

Default More From George Perez On Working At DC Comics

At Toronto Comic Con, George Perez held a panel, with an extensive Q&A. Talking about his life, his career, his likes and loves, he was also asked about is more recent work on the Superman book as part of the DC New 52 relaunch. And, just as he was in Metropolis, Perez was open and candid.
    Things are being second guessed left and right, a case of too many chiefs, not enough Indians now. Whether it will work? Who am I to say. They want it to be like Hollywood, and it's becoming like Hollywood, in producing comics, and what you have is a corporate room deciding where things are going to go. And part of the reason for me leaving Superman is that I had certain ideas I wanted to do unfortunately, stuff that they okay one day, they would change their mind the next day, and it was becoming waytoo difficult, slowing us down. That ws unfortunate. I hope they succeed for the industry's sakeIn the case of Superman they didn't want a writer, they wanted a typewriter. They have to deal with people producing the movie, who also had a say in what's going on in the comic as well. My one fear, I'm not producing a comic, I'm producing a storyboard for a movie, that's not what I wanted to do.

So I decided to bow out, and stay on as penciller, where I have fewer headaches - not no headaches, but fewer headaches, In doing World's Finest, everything's still being decided at the last minute. They needed a design for Power Girl, they didn't ask me.They finally gave me the design, they needed to get it out solicitations, got it drawn, got it coloured, got it printed in the solicitation, they called me a week later, we changed our mind on the Power Girl costumes, so now I have to do a patch on the first issue cover and for a mercenary, practical and financial point of view, I just lost the resale value on my artwork, because now the character's not the same character that appears on the cover and they screwed me out of that, and I shouldn't have to be thinking about that but you guys really have to make up my minds!

When an artists like Dan Jurgens, one of the fastest most professional in the industry, when I was working with him on Teen Titans, he was always he was three months ahead of schedule. I was having a hell of a time keeping up with him. On Green Arrow, he was basically trying just to make the deadline and not be late, because kept changing their mind on the stories.

In the case of Superman I didn't want to wait around any more. I need to get away, it was not conducive. I didn't want to end up hating working on the book.
    You can listen to the full audio here, thanks to Jamie Colville. Here are the World's Finest covers in question...

Rootfireember likes this.

Consultant of Cool

"They have to deal with people producing the movie, who also had a say in what's going on in the comic as well. "

Well this doesn't bode well for future DC films then either!

Gives further credence to the Before Watchmen debacle being done purely to spinoff a movie franchise at some point in the future.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    "They have to deal with people producing the movie, who also had a say in what's going on in the comic as well. "

Well this doesn't bode well for future DC films then either!

Gives further credence to the Before Watchmen debacle being done purely to spinoff a movie franchise at some point in the future.
    picardfacepalm.jog

Way Cool

I feel for George, I really do. It sucks to hear about industry pros like him being jerked around.

That said, I kind of understand the other side of the coin as well. We can never forget just how dire the comics industry is right now. The execs in charge at both DC and Marvel are in a CONSTANT state of survival mode. If I'm being completely fair, I can't imagine it's any fun for THEM to always be changing direction at the last minute, either. It's gotta be frustrating.

But we live in a world now, like it or not, where things have to change quickly. To not do that spells doom for the industry as a whole. So I can TOTALLY see why folks like George are frustrated, they came up in an industry VASTLY different and VASTLY MORE SUCCESSFUL than the industry as it stands now.

I think we all hope that the industry bounces back sufficiently, to allow for that kind of structure and professionalism again. For now... I think they are honestly doing the best they can.

"They want it to be like Hollywood, and it's becoming like Hollywood..."

That's probably why I like DC's comics less and less these days. They are so bland and slow-paced and formulaic. I've been a fan for 35 years and frankly, I get no joy from them anymore. I don't mind the concept of the reboot per se, but the stories are not up to what it was before. Except for Morrison's Action Comics and Milligan's Hellblazer which I enjoy a lot, I will probably stop buying all the others on my pull list.

Now, it seems that strong creative voices are found only in creator-owned comics.

Zen Master of Cool

I'm glad George was open about the behind the scenes at DC. More and more every week I feel DC has lost me. It seems like the only people are have the pull to be actually creative are Morrison, Snyder, and probably Lemire.

It's pretty coincidental that last week I asked my store to suspend all DC orders so I can evaluate what I want to continue reading. As a life long DC fan, the current status DC is upsetting.
    RAGGEDT likes this.

Very Cool

This just confirms what was always my greatest fear for the New 52: Didio was promoted because he was an old Hollywood guy, and that's what the suits at Warner's are most comfortable with. He's running DC like a showrunner does episodic television, a practice I don't believe will work in today's industry over the long haul. This is probably why Morrison is placing books at Image, Gail didn't re-up her exclusive contract, and Vertigo is a shell of its former self. Art by corporate fiat -- I'm depressed.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Man, you'd have to be a big Perez fan to want to buy either of those ugly outifts.

Cool

Default Power Girls costume...

Is terrible. It looks like they did not give it a thought. I love this one from project rooftop. P:R Redesign: Mista-M’s Power Girl! | Project : Rooftop DC should really outsource costume design to fans. At least to some fans.

Sad to hear the behind the scenes stuff is so terrible. I hope that by Mr. Perez being candid, it does not hurt his relationship with the company.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I hope George's candor doesn't get him "McDuffied".

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast