Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: More From George Perez On Working At DC Comics

I notice Swishy is banned. I think we can all accept that as a good thing, right? Let's try to agree on that one thing at least.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I notice Swishy is banned. I think we can all accept that as a good thing, right? Let's try to agree on that one thing at least.
    Already? Damn. Didn't he just get back from a time out?

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    Already? Damn. Didn't he just get back from a time out?
    Well he was very, very stupid, so are you really that surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    I can see that, but it's not just a kinder way of putting it. It does, at least potentially, carry a completely different connotation than Bob was trying to apply to it.
    What 'connotation' is your fevered with hate mind trying to add to it? They plainly said EXACTLY what I said. You'd whine if I posted the sky is blue.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    What 'connotation' is your fevered with hate mind trying to add to it? They plainly said EXACTLY what I said. You'd whine if I posted the sky is blue.
    Yes, Bob. I clearly imagined you trying to imply titles were dropping like flies. Whatever was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by averyscratch View Post
    Dude, cut the crap. Joe likes the stuff he likes and it's his right. Making nut references doesn't make you a tough guy. Lay off.
    ...Let him speak, honeybunch. He'll lay out more than enough rope to hang himself once again. And maybe this time Joe'll remember to slap the horse on the rump so the whole process of hanging actually works this time.
    -------

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    CF

You really are a pain, aren't you? You don't have to back anything up, but everyone else does, huh? I plainly said it was a success for six months, by the way.

Well, here's a couple of numbers for you straight from PJP's beloved Comichron.

In Dec., JL 'sold' 142,248 and in May, 131,332.
    In Dec., Action 'sold' 112,839 and in May, 88,796.
    In Dec., GL 'sold' 104,199 and in May, 87,601.
    In Dec., Green Arrow 'sold' 33,404 and in May, 26,966.
    In Dec., Grifter 'sold' 20,237 and in May, 15,228.
    In Dec., I, Vampire 'sold' 19,441 and in May, 17,175.
    In Dec., Blue Beetle 'sold' 19,267 and in May, 16,607.

Pretty much every title without a crossover keeps slipping well after the books should have showed signs of leveling.
    You'd think a real retailer would know that every periodical suffers from a loss of diminishing returns due to attrition on other factors.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Stan Lee wrote the books, and why the hell would I reverse the name of a creative team for some petty argument over who did what? John and Paul wrote most of their Beatles songs alone but no one makes an effort to change the credits to McCartney/Lennon on the Paul ones.
    I believe Kirby (as per his TCJ interview) when he states Lee abused his position to get bylines: Jack Kirby Interview | The Comics Journal

Jack outright states Lee takes far, far too much credit for the FF: IE any, beyond dialogue.

Stan Lee has never been fit to lick Jack Kirby's boots, and the King was pretty obviously the conceptual powerhouse behind those comics: Kirby and Lee, and that's insanely generous to the old hack. Jack went on to do New Gods: Stan did... Ravager 2099?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    Yeah, well Kirby claimed that he wrote all the dialogue not Stan. Which is pretty easy to disprove by asking anyone else who was there (hell, Stan's hippy dialogue changes from Ditko's Randian intent was one of the things that added to their split) or just read a few different Marvel books from the 60s to see how consistent Stan's voice was in those books.

There's a very good description from Romita on Stan and Jack's process from when he witnessed it, that suggests that the truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.
    I've seen Romita JR (who I admire) state the same. Do you really think anyone inside of the Marvel circle is going to talk shit about Stan Lee? He's the Marvel Pope.

Writing dialogue (which Lee was effortlessly terrible at) is not the same as creating (which Lee has gone on to prove he is effortlessly terrible at).
    defchild likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmarketbraincandy View Post
    Writing dialogue (which Lee was effortlessly terrible at) is not the same as creating (which Lee has gone on to prove he is effortlessly terrible at).
    yeah, he self-confesses he was lazy too. He does tend to down play his role, whether through honesty or modesty I couldn't say.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast