Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: DC Confirms Scott Lobdell To Write Superman To The Huffington Post, And He's Bringing Kenneth Rocafort

VP in Charge of Cool FunkyGreenJerusalem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manolis View Post
    I'd strongly argue that was AFTER Lobdell was kicked off the books. the over-edited conclusion to the Kelly/Seagle run and then the mess that was the Alan Davis and second Claremont era, and of course... Austen.
    I started just after he began, and left before he did. Onslaught was my breaking point.

Lobdell had kept all of the X-titles pretty fresh and interesting under his watch. X-tinction Agenda, Fatal Attractions, Age of Apocalypse, Phoenix Covenant, Operation Zero Tolerance. These are all amazingly plotted and orchestrated events...
    He was the original Bendis - each event led into the next, and I don't think he ever concluded a subplot!

I thought he had some good issues in there, and some interesting ideas, but it never felt like it was going anywhere. It's a problem I often have with his books - they just meander until he leaves or it gets canceled, or a new artist joins and there's a change in direction, and then it meanders again.
    Uncanny X-Men, Generation X, Wildcats... all suffered from it.
    He often talks about how he doesn't believe in planning stories out in advance - I think he may do each issue as it comes - and although I can take or leave long term plans, I think he and his readers would be better served if he did it a bit more.
    I've already dropped Teen Titans and Superboy due to this, and Redhood survives due to Rocafort.

But as I said before, I'll give him a go on Superman. Rocafort draws a good Supes, and Lobdell will at least give us a more colourful support cast.

Has Lobdell ever had an extended run on a solo character?

I mean, Superboy I guess, but that was only a year and mostly just a Teen Titans Too book.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post

I mean, Superboy I guess, but that was only a year and mostly just a Teen Titans Too book.
    I can't think of one.

I'm shocked Marvel never put him on Spider-Man - he seems like he'd be a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post

The Darkness. Think he worked on the Heroes Reborn Iron Man too. He started the most recent run of Fathom, but it's arguable whether that's really a solo title. Most of his work for the past 20 years has been limited run though, so it's hard to find many.
    Writer of Lightweight. Find out more at Super Powered Fiction and Metahuman Press.

Zen Master of Cool

Shit, they should have started this series with this team. Dude may have his haters, but his X-men run in the 90s was what really brought me into comics and I've been digging Red Hood and the Outlaws - who were all characters I didn't give a shit about prior to the relaunch. I'm going to have to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    I started just after he began, and left before he did. Onslaught was my breaking point.

He was the original Bendis - each event led into the next, and I don't think he ever concluded a subplot!

I thought he had some good issues in there, and some interesting ideas, but it never felt like it was going anywhere. It's a problem I often have with his books - they just meander until he leaves or it gets canceled, or a new artist joins and there's a change in direction, and then it meanders again.
    Uncanny X-Men, Generation X, Wildcats... all suffered from it.
    He often talks about how he doesn't believe in planning stories out in advance - I think he may do each issue as it comes - and although I can take or leave long term plans, I think he and his readers would be better served if he did it a bit more.
    I've already dropped Teen Titans and Superboy due to this, and Redhood survives due to Rocafort.

But as I said before, I'll give him a go on Superman. Rocafort draws a good Supes, and Lobdell will at least give us a more colourful support cast.
    I can't think of any subplots he left hanging, apart from the Joseph/Magneto one, but he was kicked off the book before he got to his big reveal (Joseph = Proteus), you can't blame him for that!

I think he took care to wrap up all his subplots within a year or so before introducing new ones. There wasn't a lot of carry over from one crossover to the next, apart from the connection between Fatal Attractions and Onslaught. and THAT was a Morrison-level mind-fuck of a twist.

His Generation-X NEVER changed artists under his run. He was with Bachalo from his first to his last issue. On Uncanny X-Men he worked with JRJR and then Madureira, he only had a few fill-ins in-between. And there was one direction throughout. Wildcats, that was 6 issues. I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from.

Anyways, any comparison to Bendis is demeaning. Even when he was handling multiple books in the same x-family, he kept their storylines separate and tried not to use characters from one book onto the other.
    Dr. Manolis Vamvounis
    Leave Your Spandex @t the Door
    Twitter: @theComicsGreek

Bleeding Cool

Anyways, any comparison to Bendis is demeaning. Even when he was handling multiple books in the same x-family, he kept their storylines separate and tried not to use characters from one book onto the other.
    And he never...NEVER...had characters experimenting with anal.

I can't think of any subplots he left hanging, apart from the Joseph/Magneto one, but he was kicked off the book before he got to his big reveal (Joseph = Proteus), you can't blame him for that!

I think he took care to wrap up all his subplots within a year or so before introducing new ones. There wasn't a lot of carry over from one crossover to the next, apart from the connection between Fatal Attractions and Onslaught. and THAT was a Morrison-level mind-fuck of a twist.
    The legacy virus, x-traitor, who is Penance... Psylocke and shadow ninjas, Angel reverting... give me time, I'm sure I'll remember more.

The connection between Fatal Attractions and Onslaught was a mind-fuck of a twist, because it was a tack-on. It just doesn't fit with what came before in the story.

His Generation-X NEVER changed artists under his run. He was with Bachalo from his first to his last issue.
    Except for when Bachelo left in the middle for nine or ten issues, and the book meandered.
    On Uncanny X-Men he worked with JRJR and then Madureira, he only had a few fill-ins in-between. And there was one direction throughout.
    I don't think there was any direction, is kind of my point. And either way, there was a shift in direction from JRJR to Maduria.

Wildcats, that was 6 issues. I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from.
    Six issues and a special, all which totally meandered. Look at the work Joe Casey had to do in his first three issues to give the book some direction again.

Comparisons to Bendis are nearly always demeaning. That's why you compare someone to Bendis. That said, Lobdell has said he'd prefer to write a story where characters talk, rather than fight, just like Bendis. (I know writers say that to seem smarter, but it makes me think - you shouldn't be writing superheroes then).
    I'm willing to give Lobdell a go on books, but have given Bendis enough chances. I honestly think to look favourably upon Lobdell's Uncanny is to have rose coloured glasses firmly on - maybe it was editorial dragging things out and not letting them resolve plots, but he was then writer on the book.
    Last edited by FunkyGreenJerusalem; 06-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khuxford View Post
    And he never...NEVER...had characters experimenting with anal.
    But dude, he was making comics MATURE! Mature as a motherfucker!

In defense of his Wildcats, apparently Charest would just draw whatever he wanted and Lobdell had to fashion his scripts around it. Like after seeing Saving Private Ryan Charest drew the Cats fighting tanks in the next issue which was nowhere to be seen in Lobdell's script.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast