Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, America, It's Alan Scott

Administrator

Default Yes, America, It's Alan Scott

A few days ago, I ran semi-sourced stories indicating that the character who DC Comics announced as being reintroduced to the New 52 DC Universe as a gay man, was Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern, who appeared in Earth 2 #1 briefly,

Well, at Phoenix Comic Con, I had a much stronger source confirm to me that, yes, it is indeed Alan Scott. On that basis I feel confident in calling it. Keep your Earth 2 #1 in good nick, and start queuing up for Earth 2 #2... right about now.

Of course the original Alan Scott, created by Marty Nodell in 1940, got his Green Lantern powers mystically from a green flame. But the first person to make a "flaming" joke is out of here, okay?

UPDATE: Yeah, yeah, and his character's weakness to "wood". Seriously, people.

Anyway, as ever, I could be wrong...

Captain Cool

Hmmm. I have no real problem with this. It`s not like its the original Alan Scott being made gay.

I've got nothing against gay character, but I hate it when they just turn existing characters gay just because it's ok or cool for some nowadays. It seems out of character, besides, why not just create a new gay character?
    “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
    "Albert Einstein"

new universe = new character.. personally i was hoping it was wildcat...

Consultant of Cool

The dc post-flashpoint reboots feel a lot like tv elseworlds. In Smallville tv, Pete Ross was black and Lana Lang was half asian. Smallville tv also had Cyborg as a member of the Justice League similar to the later Super Friends cartoons. Post-flashpoint, tons of old characters have become black such as Morgan Edge, Etta Candy, etc. New Earth 2 rebooted Hawkgirl Kendra seems to be black or egyptian. Nothing to get excited about just bec. New earth 2 Alan Scott has been rebooted as gay. New earth 2 is just peripheral and more gay characters on the new main earth would be more interesting. It would be news if Hal Jordan is gay or bisexual, or if Bruce Wayne cuts off his testicles.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 05-27-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Bleeding Cool

That's cool , I wonder how important is sexuality will be ?

Cool

Default So this is "prominent"?

Not surprising that they're making the new Alan Scott gay as they're already drawn him as a gay stereotype (single, blond, attractive and well-built), but I thought DiDio's original statement said that the character would be "one of our most prominent gay characters". Will the Earth-2 books really be that "prominent"? I expected someone on the main DC earth.

It does make some sort of sense, though - in the old universe, Alan had a gay son (Obsidian).

...Otay, so if flaming jokes are out, does this mean we can't call him the Rainbow Lantern either?
    -------

Bleeding Cool

I forget what time period this is set in. Anyone know?

You just make me hate reboot more and more dc. You keep destroying your characters. Nothing against gays or anything. I have no problem with Batwoman or Midnight or Apollo. It's changing a character to fit some new kinda quota. A character long pre reboot established as anything and married. Someone at warner brothers please wake up and stop the madness at dc before there is no left. Original creators are rolling over in their grave right now.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast