Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Rian Hughes Looks Again At The New DC Logo

Administrator

Default Rian Hughes Looks Again At The New DC Logo

When Bleeding Cool broke the story of the new DC logo, we were able to ask comic book logo designer Rian Hughes what he thought, and he was rather complimentary.

He's less complimentary now. He writes;
    As I've mentioned, a good logo should first and foremost work "bare", preferably without any 3D rendering and Photoshop fanciness. Once you have that iconic, strong, basic logo, you can of course optionally add those effects later. If, on the other hand, those effects are actually part of the original logo, it vastly narrows its subsequent versatility. In real-world use, this (see pic) is the kind of results you get. A 'peel' made of stone/metal? Hmm. Visual treatments multiply and collide uncomfortably.

Now I've seen the logo on the actual comics, it disappoints in that context too, in what should be it's strongest application.

Sorry, chaps. I know you meant well.
    Rian's book Cult-Ure looking at this kind of thing and much much more is currently on my bedside table. A fascinating read...
    Victorian Squid likes this.

See? Even a professional knows it sucks
    saidestroyer likes this.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

I'll always think of the bullet logo as the best one:

Seattle (as immortalized by Public Image Limited)

I'm torn, 'cause I disliked the last logo SO MUCH, but this one is pretty lame, as well.
    "Two and two continue to make four, in spite of the whine of the amateur for three, or the cry of the critic for five." - James McNeill Whistler

VP in Charge of Cool Kevin T Brown's Avatar

It's a freakin' logo. Unless it changes or alters what's inside the book, it don't matter.

Wrote the Book on Cool CBattles6's Avatar

Oh no, some guy doesn't like the logo. Guess it's a horrible failure.

Wrote the Book on Cool brian-cs's Avatar

The reason I think it matters is that the logo is going to look fine even great at the beginning of the Dark Knight movie. It looks fine on a letterhead or a pr email. On the 52+ comic books that it appears on, it's not so good. Why approve a logo that doesn't flatter their primary business? Unless their primary business is in transition to superhero movies/video. That's why it's a matter of speculation.
    Krysmopompas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CBattles6 View Post
    Oh no, some guy doesn't like the logo. Guess it's a horrible failure.
    No, a professional logo designer and a damn good one at that, if he says it's lacking there's more to it then what any of us could say.
    Snatto, Emperor, Mike H. and 5 others like this.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Wrote the Book on Cool NakedOni's Avatar

The designer's criticism of the logo seems to be based on the 1 color interpretation of it. I think this is pretty inconsequential, as DC will doubtfully cheap-out and use a 1 color logo application. So I don't think this minor flaw is reason enough to completely dismiss the logo.

I liked the last logo best (the "swoopy" one), but I didn't like that one at first either. What I do like about the new logo, are the various design possiblilities for the exposed "C" (like the ones teased). I would like to see these used to differentiate the different catagories DC uses (The Dark, etc.). I also think that there could be cool video qualities to the sticker peel aspect of the "D".
    fredmanson likes this.

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

I dont like how they put that black bar behind it on the comics. The design looked better in the mock ups they made when they announced it. Also dont like that they haven't played with the coloring like they said they would.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast