Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Now DC Comics Fires Chris Roberson Off Fairest

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Quote Originally Posted by khuxford View Post
    Yeah, Allred might be the saving grace. But, then again, who knows how interested he is in working with DC in the future.

I think they should make TPBs of the whole run available as long as there is enough interest in it. If they tried to minimize availability in response to this, then they're being juvenile in their attempt to punish Roberson.
    Agreed. I was definitely just joking about that last part.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    By deciding not to give a platform to any more of Chris R's thoughts, because they were weary of them?

I'm a bit surprised you're saying this.
    Talking shit about your boss is a pretty fair reason to fire someone.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    McDuffie was only taken off JLA, he wasn't banned from the company. He still did later work for them and, I suspect, if he were still alive he'd be continuing to work with them.

He didn't even seem to hold the JLA thing against DC, from what I remember. That seems to be solely fan-created outrage, which is odd since they didn't seem to be enjoying his work on the book anyway.
    You're positing McDuffies problems with DC from an either/or perspective. Its possible to be bitterly pissed off with an employer while continuing to work for them. Love of the work itself or love of the paycheck it brings can help to make one bottle up all kinds of resentments. Its not just a fan outrage thing, McDuffie wasn't able to do his best work because of characters being continually being pulled off the book and plots being wrecked half way through because of other writers (ie Johns), editorial and event crossovers.

McDuffie did obviously have problems with DC editorial, Rich was involved in reporting on them on CBR Dwayne McDuffie Fired off Justice League of America an Injustice? | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

Nope, it was my own doing. I was fired when “Lying in the Gutters” ran a compilation of two years or so of my answers to fans’ questions on the DC Comics discussion boards. I’m told my removal had nothing to with either the quality of my work or the level of sales, rather with my revelation of behind-the-scenes creative discussions.
    Lying In The Gutters: - Comic Book Resources

I do get frustrated, but it comes with the job. The nature of monthly comics has changed drastically over the past 20 years. JLA used to be THE place to go to see the big guns together, dealing with the gravest threats in the DCU. Now there are several big event crossovers a year, and those titles are where the huge stories happen. So I have to tell stories that feed into and come out of those events. I'd prefer if, as on Justice League Unlimited, I could tell stories that were at the center of the characters lives, but that was a very different circumstance. JLA the comic is part of a larger patchwork, and my mandate is to support the bigger story of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Locusmortis View Post
    You're positing McDuffies problems with DC from an either/or perspective. Its possible to be bitterly pissed off with an employer while continuing to work for them. Love of the work itself or love of the paycheck it brings can help to make one bottle up all kinds of resentments. Its not just a fan outrage thing, McDuffie wasn't able to do his best work because of characters being continually being pulled off the book and plots being wrecked half way through because of other writers (ie Johns), editorial and event crossovers.

McDuffie did obviously have problems with DC editorial, Rich was involved in reporting on them on CBR Dwayne McDuffie Fired off Justice League of America an Injustice? | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

Lying In The Gutters: - Comic Book Resources
    I don't understand this as a reply to my post, I'll be honest.

That was just Dwayne's personality, from my reading of his postings over the years. He wasn't someone to get outraged and rant and rave; the most you'd get out of him was a slightly sardonic comment, and then it was on to talking about his actual work. I do recall that he wasn't at all happy with DC's handling of the Milestone characters, and that they'd offered him a couple of assignments which he turned down. So I don't think it's a given he would have continued to work with DC-- but to be fair, that was most likely because animation paid so much better, so why bother with the hassle?

I still love this, though:

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    If they've got it and it will sell then DC will release it.
    As a comparison they still release Moore's stuff no matter what he says about them. Which reminds me to ask, is Watchmen still in print?
    iZombie might be in that twilight zone though; it sells well enough to warrant a collection, but not so well that they can't afford to use to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by khuxford View Post
    Yeah, Allred might be the saving grace. But, then again, who knows how interested he is in working with DC in the future.
    He's probably not so valuable to them that he'd be an obstacle if they really wanted to stick it to Roberson-- it's not like he's likely to work on one of their superhero monthlies after all; he tends to be a favorite of particular editors rather than a golden boy of top management, because of his unconventional art style. He's got a solid but not huge fanbase (of which I am one) that'll follow him to any project he works on though, so he doesn't need DC much either.

If they tried to minimize availability in response to this, then they're being juvenile in their attempt to punish Roberson.
    Like I said, that's what Marvel did with Peter David, so it's not unprecedented.

They should just take him out back and put two in his head. That'll show 'em!

Banned

Man, I really wonder what kind of jobs you nerds have (if any of you have a job at all; the way some of you are on here posting damn near 24/7, really makes me wonder), that not only do you think you can publicly bad-mouth the company that you work for, but also that, heaven-forbid, if said company chooses to exercise their well-within-legal right to fire your dumb ass for doing so, that they are somehow in the wrong. Hilarious.

The reality bubble that comic so-called fans continue to live in, never ceases to amaze me.

Every single job I have ever worked for in my life, has always make it clear to me, be it implicit or explicit, that I am a representative of their company, as long as they *allow* me to be employed by said company. How is DC, or any comic company any different??

So let's put this to the test:

Go on-line right now, on whatever media outlet (or any other means) of your choosing, & start bad-mouthing the job you work for. Make sure your bosses are going to privy to every word you say.

Then report back here with the results.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Man, I really wonder what kind of jobs you nerds have (if any of you have a job at all; the way some of you are on here posting damn near 24/7, really makes me wonder), that not only do you think you can publicly bad-mouth the company that you work for, but also that, heaven-forbid, if said company chooses to exercise their well-within-legal right to fire your dumb ass for doing so, that they are somehow in the wrong. Hilarious.

The reality bubble that comic so-called fans continue to live in, never ceases to amaze me.

Every single job I have ever worked for in my life, has always make it clear to me, be it implicit or explicit, that I am a representative of their company, as long as they *allow* me to be employed by said company. How is DC, or any comic company any different??

Go on-line right now, on whatever media outlet (or any other means) of your choosing, & start bad-mouthing the job you work for. Make sure your bosses are going to privy to every word you say.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post

Dont be mean

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast